Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After looking through the pictures of the 336's, I've noticed a lot have scopes, now I have the chance to pickup an EOTECH 552 nv red dot. What do you all think of this type of sight for a 336 in 30-30.
Thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am a fan of eotech sights. They work great out to 200 yards and that is way beyond the distance most people shoot a 30-30.

They also allow 2 eye open aiming which is great up close, in thick brush, and on moving targets.

Go for it!

·
Registered
391 Posts
The EOTECH is an excellent sight, extremely fast and very forgiving of facial position on the stock. I am positive that it would work very well, but I just could not bring myself to put one on a lever gun and ruin the classic lines. I think that for my taste, they run a little large to do so. I might possibly try a Burris Fast Fire red dot one day, as they are quite a bit smaller.

·
Registered
116 Posts
my 1970 336 has a red dot sight on it. 60 this fall with high blood pressure and diabetes, both mostly controlled by meds. still shooting well with red dot sights.
......thirty years ago I could hit a golf ball at a hundred yards off hand. as long as you mount it with sporting type rings and leave the black rifle accessories on the ARs go for it. not ranting just posting a shooters opinion, bobn

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I have an Eo-Tech xps-2 and I think you might have a problem with the recoil
coming out of a 30-30.
The 512 and 552 if I'm not mistaken have the batteries in the front to back
position where recoil really can affect them.
I know my 45-70 would mess up those for certain.
The XPS series is a lot better but they tend to mount high because they
are intended for AR style rifles.
I tried putting the XPS2 on my 1895 but it was far too high for my liking.
I'd go with an Aimpoint Micro on the Levers.
I actually went with a scout scope Leupold and love it!

Here is a video about fixing the battery issues on the Eo-Tech

·
Registered
5,120 Posts

Do not know about Eotech but this is the 3rd deer I have taken with a Red Dot. That buck was taken at maybe 30 feet. The sight is a cheap Tasco that has about as high of a rating as you can get on the Midway USA.com site with very numerous responses. Worth looking at. Mounts fairly low and has performed well. I would use Red Dots but am a strong believer in Murphy's Laws and cannot bring myself to trust batteries. As the US military forces are now using them it may be kind of paranoid. I took the other deer at longer ranges, one at over 100 yards. Mounted the Red Dots on an old military 8mm Mauser due ot the bolt clearance. Consider also that red dots have been used for practical pistol competition for rapid shooting. They really are and excellent sight.

DEP

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Red Dots can and do work very well. That said the military always has backup sights
in case the battery goes dead.
Deer don't shoot back so it's less of an issue.
I called up Primary Arms which makes some very good red dot sights
and asked them will their RDS work on a 45-70 for bear protection and
they said if your life is going to depend on the sight, buy an Aimpoint.

Most RDS are reliable but if your life is on the line, spend the money.

I have like 5 primary Arms red dots and I really like them for the range.
They use a CR2032 battery which is cheap in bulk on Amazon and easy
to replace.
I will not rely on those for my Bear gun which wears a 2.5x28 scout scope.

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
the Eotechs are great sights, but they sit EXTREMELY HIGH on a levergun. You may find that you are resting your chin on the top of the buttstock in order to see thru it. Not very good for consistent shooting, in my humble opinion.
This is your answer.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I like Eotech's, but not on a levergun.

I think a fixed 2-4 power is perfect.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
The Burris fastfire II and fastfire III are decent sights.
How well have they handled the recoil from a 45-70?
I'd pick one up if they can handle that level of recoil.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I would call Burris myself and see if it's warrantied for that kind of abuse.
Some red dots are not.
EoTech says their Holo sights will withstand a 50 cal machine gun.
Aimpoint says recoil is not an issue on a 45-70 at all.
Some other companies say not to use them.
Burris makes a very nice little unit, the Trijicon is a bit nicer but costs a lot more.

Fastfire II's are reasonably priced right now.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
After looking through the pictures of the 336's, I've noticed a lot have scopes, now I have the chance to pickup an EOTECH 552 nv red dot. What do you all think of this type of sight for a 336 in 30-30.
Thanks.
I tried it on both a 336 in 30-30 and an 1894P in 44 Mag ... it was a no-go for me.

I own a couple of 552s and they are built for 30 cal recoil, so that's not a problem. Most are BDC'd for 308, so that's still not a problem, (I mean I have one on a SIG 716 and another on a Benelli M4, so the 552s are built for recoil). But they only work when they are arrowed-up and who is going to sit in a cold stand with their holograph arrowed-up burning juice? For what purpose? How many hours do we sit in our stands, in ratio to how many seconds it takes for us to take one deer (or pig or whatever).

I tried it on my 1894P and was equally turned-off not by the potential for battery waste but for the way it transformed the sleek ergonomic lines of my little quick-handling carbine into an awkward, (and somewhat ugly), firearm.

There are far far better options than a holographic sight on a levergun IMHO.

Eta: Also, I'm not crazy about even the 1 mil dots as far as accuracy is concerned out to effective 30-30 ranges.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would like to thank you all for your replies it's really appreciated. I believe I'll go with a small scope, before spending any money I wanted some knowledgable opinions.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
191 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts