Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a R pre-fix that I been waiting for for awhile and low and behold she had a damaged butt plate ,white spacer and toe.
Was not package very well and took a hit. Seller wants to know what dollar amount I think damage is worth ..
Told him was keeping the rifle either way if got any reimbursement or not . Overall condition of the rifle was 85% + and for it's age looks in excellent condition.
Made it thru most of it's life without any wood damage till now.

Stock could be fixed with new butt plate and spacer and just shape all to fit,, BUT again it shouldn't of happened and will never be the same..

Thanks

·
Registered
105 Posts
Life is not fair my man. About a month ago I picked up my rossi gallery gun case in the basement and the zipper was open... It fell out of the case butt first onto the floor and a small wedge cracked right off. I have shot 10's of thousands of rounds throught that gun so I was not far from crying... Okay mabye, I did, have the single tear rolling down my cheek. My dad has since,begun on a major refinishing. It has been reblued, stripped and shellacked and Is going to turn out fantastic. We are a good team my dad and I, I break it , he fixes it.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
I would take the box and rifle with the pieces to the post office and show them, and they might replace the stocks and I say stocks is because they should match.

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
Put a limb saver on it :)

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
janott said:
I would take the box and rifle with the pieces to the post office and show them, and they might replace the stocks and I say stocks is because they should match.
+1 on what Janott said. I would definitely put new stocks on it. Sadly it will never be original any more but I wouldn’t patch it. Make it like new.

·
Premium Member
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Was insured thru the seller,, I was thinking the $100 figure myself also.. that won't include the time and grief it is going to cost .... :-[

Thanks

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
From your picture, that was really short grain there at the toe, chipping would happen sooner or later with any little bump. Poor stock layout with the grain, although the wood looks nice. Would probably run you $75-100 for a new butt, additional for a matching forend, depending on checkering, etc. Reshaping the existing butt would probably take 4-5 hours, refinishing included, plus new buttplate and spacer. You'd probably lose about 1/4" on the belly. Alternative would be to get a leather lace-up boot to cover the area, out of sight, out of mind. You could also shorten the stock past the chips and use a thicker aftermarket pad, Pachmayr or similar, they have solid shorties as well as the ventilated sort. This last is probably the cheapest solution. Done correctly, the stock wouldn't need refinishing. Would prevent a recurrance, anyway. If you really wanted to go posh, you can get leather pads, like English best guns use. Have a look at what Brownell's has.

Shortening the stock has its own problems, that's still short grain there at the toe and anything but a very fine dovetail back saw is probably going to chip some more out, even with double-taping it. DAMHIK

I use the leather lace-ups on my Marlins, factory stock is about 1/2" short for me and they take up the difference. "Kick Killer" is the brand. Can also be dyed black, if you want. Cabela's and Lion Country both have them. Definitely no problems with chipping stock toes using those.

Stan S.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I wouldn't put all the blame on the stock layout. That won't account for the broken butt plate and spacer. That stock took a major hit, not a bump.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
quietman said:
I wouldn't put all the blame on the stock layout. That won't account for the broken butt plate and spacer. That stock took a major hit, not a bump.
I have seen those mail workers take long boxes and toss them into their trucks. I would imagine this is what happened and the box slid and hit the front of the shelf and the butt stock was at that end. :'(

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Ouch. Pull the stock and check the other end, had something similar happen but the damage was on the inletted area of the butt stock. Sure is ugly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
that looks like it could be easily fixed, use some wood epoxy mash it up until it is ply-able stick it on there let it harden, sand, finish with a color close to the stocks color and use a grain pen to add grain then lacquer with some touch up lacquer. hehe maybe its just easy for me, i work for a wood shop and have gone through several classes on fixing finished wood. ;D

edit: if you don't want to do the work yourself a nation wide company called furniture medic may be able to help you fix that, the specialize in fixing finished wood furniture and a gun stock is basically the same so call them and see if they can help you.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
If they would do this then you could just remove the stock and send it in. After it is returned then all you would have to do is replace the butt plate. 8) 8)

·
Premium Member
4,446 Posts
I do some woodworking myself and I think that can be repaired and you will still have your original stock. If you live in or near a large town look up FURNITURE REPAIR. I have seen some awful damaged chair legs repaired and you could not tell where the damage was. Friend had his dog tear up an antique table leg. He called local Ethan Allen store and their Master Repair Man fixed it up and it was not even an Ethan Allen table. When I went to his house I noticed this table and asked him where he found a replacement leg. When he told me it was repaired I got on my hands and knees and looked that leg all over and could not tell where the damage had been.
Also saw a repair once where man screwed a stainless lag bolt into corner of table. He then used a hard wood epoxy putty to build around the head of the bolt. Used a router to shape the "plug" same as the table. When he was done you could not see where the table had been broken and the repaired corner was stronger than the original. I T C A N B E D O N E ! ! !

GB45

1 - 14 of 14 Posts