Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think-do I have enough scope? Intended mission is whitetail deer out to 175 yards. Scope is a Whitetail Classic which means it should be the right scope for the job, right? :biggrin:

·
Registered
692 Posts
What is the weight of the scope? I just took a 6-16 Nikon off of my Mini 14 because it weighed 2.2 pounds making the rifle so heavy it was uncomfortable to carry and shoot. I replaced it with a 4X shotgun scope that weighs 8 ozs.. The rifle is much more manageable now. I do not care for variable scopes because the eye relief changes as you change magnification. I've used straight 4X scopes on everything from .22 to 30-06 rifles. I find a 4X to be up to most any challenge. I've shot ground hogs to 100 yards with a 4X scoped .22 and deer way beyond that with larger rifles.

Reactions: 35REMSHOOTER

·
Registered
970 Posts
What do you think-do I have enough scope? Intended mission is whitetail deer out to 175 yards. Scope is a Whitetail Classic which means it should be the right scope for the job, right? :biggrin:

All I see is scope. Did this gun come from the school for the blind? 2X7 max. 3X9 is getting quite heavy looking. Try a straight 4X scope with clean, simple lines. At 175 yds you'll see the same sight picture as your naked eye at less than 50 yds.

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
Use what ever scope you can see with, got a 3 9x50 on a 30-30 and love it (see thru rings BTW) less than 1" at 100 all day. If it works go with it.

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
I picked up a 30-30 one time from a pawnshop that had a 6x18 50mm Bushnell Banner scope on it I thought to myself "Good Lord whoever owned this thing must have been blind" needless to say that was the first thing that came off when I got it home!!!

·
Administrator
30,586 Posts
Hey dr6, at first I was going to ask what planet you plan on shooting deer? :biggrin:

I love the 1.5-4.5X32mm Bushnell Dusk & Dawn. I have it on my 30AS and it works great in low light, provides plenty of magnification and the optics are very clear. And the rifle handles very well with the scopes small profile.

Below are some pictures. Click to enlarge.

Jack

Firearm Gun Rifle Trigger Air gun
Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Shotgun
Gun Rifle Firearm Trigger Air gun

·
Registered
395 Posts
I personally thing the amount of scope or lack of depends on what ,how, and where you plan to shoot
me I like good optic's and prefer a scope on most rile's these days
I been very happy with the range of 4.5x14x40 mm scopes
own a few dozen of them on different things
more power allows for more precise aiming, allowing you to see the target better
it also shows the slight movement we make when aiming, where on a less power scope, you will not SEEM to shake or move as much, but you really are
the more power just allows you to see them
same again lower power , the reticle covers up more of the target than same reticle on a higher power scope, so long as reticle is on the second plane
some scope's have reticle on first plane some on second
higher power on scopes does increase weight, lenght of scope and also, eye relief, BUT good glass, will have plenty of eye relief even on the highest setting
one of the things that can seperate cheap one's from more quality scopes!
same as the adjustements
reliable adjustments are a BIG costs factor in rifle scopes!

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
I have ten Marlin lever guns. Two wear receiver aperture sights, two wear red dots, the rest wear either fixed 3X or 4X scopes with one exception. My .219 Zipper wears a 3.5-10 Leupold. I had a cheap 3-9 on it but the better scope was in a drawer not being used. I would have bought a 2-7 for the Zipper if I had been going new.

My pet .308 bolt gun wears a nice older Zeiss 4X. The longest kill with that one was just over 500 yards. The next was a little closer, ranged at about 465. Both were one shot kills to the heart-lung zone, and both died after a short death run to bleed out.

You do not need a Hubble to kill stuff. A very experienced Alaska guide explains it this way, "Scopes are aiming devices. Binocular for looking."

But, the scope on your rifle is not there to please me. The only person you have to please is you.

You have a nice Marlin. How long is the barrel on that one?

Best wishes,

Add: the 1.5-5 is a much better choice for hunting. Lots of fans for that scope here.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Reactions: Blackbarry

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
I remember back in the mid '70s, on our hunting lease in East Texas, there were a couple guys who put 3x9's on their Marlin 336s. They sat on blinds overlooking a pipe line ROW. They killed deer close to 300 yds on a regular basis, but man, they always caught grief from others! My family were all iron sight users. Didn't matter if they had a Mod 742 30-06 or pump 308...iron sights! ha. All bolt guns were sporterized Enfields or Mausers with existing sights. My next door neighbor, a retired oilfield worker, used a 4x on his 336. He had a stand that was exactly 100 steps from a trail crossing. He got his buck every year right there. He shot a big bobcat there one year too. I later put a 3x9 on my first factory bolt gun, a Ruger 77 in .280. I caught grief for that too, but that's ******** for you...lol.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.