Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after years of doing "tactical" pistol stuff I've decided that cowboys have more fun :)

I've shot a couple Silhouette practice nights with a Henry .22LR and at one fired another member's Marlin in .41 MAG and it kind of hooked me.

So I ordered a Marlin 1984 Cowboy (in 45LC for ease of ammo acquisition) and want to set it up for my aging eyes.

I'm thinking of either a Lyman Globe or Lee Shaver front sight and am interested in opinions on models and sight heights.

For the rear, I was thinking about Marble Tang Sights though would consider the Lee Shaver Soule if I could be convinced they were really worth the price difference.

I'll be grateful for advice on those choices and any other advice you can offer on my first center fire Marlin and in getting into Silhouette.

Thanks !

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Skinner and RPP both make good sights too! I forgot Williams peeps.

·
Registered
253 Posts
No hands on experience with either so not much help.
Front sight height will be dictated to a degree by your rear sight, I know when I put a Williams ace in the hole on my 357 I had to raise the front sight a with a block to get it shooting to POA.
Think the 45LC should be able to do double duty in both the pistol and rifle calibre events.
I usually use a 357 for pistol cal and 30/30 or 45/70 for rifle as the 357 wont consistently knock down the bigger rams at 200 in the rifle match.
I have a 327 henry on the way that might replace the 357 for pistol calibre matches.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've been shooting a 45C Cowboy in PC silh. since Marlin came out with the Cowboy...probably have somewhere over 7 or 8 thousand rounds thru...the best you can get for real competition is the Williams target model receiver sight... you can use the original front sight if you want (mine works fine but its the 24" bbl. version). You can use anywhere from 200 to 230gr bullets with moderate powder charges..very accurate rifle. I'm assuming you will be reloading..start with Unique powder and go from there...shrps74

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
First - It is no longer "Cowboy" - we got rid of that name so there would be less confusion with the people who dress up and shoot.
Second - Look at Steel Chickens web site - You'll get the correct answer there.

45 Colt is good for Pistol Cartridge matches. I used a 255gr cast bullet and 4227 powder. I strongly suggest a Williams receiver sight and a Lyman 17A front sight...let the folks at Steel Chickens tell you which Lyman to use up front. Get a gib lock screw for the Williams and you'll have a good start on Lever Action Silhouette.

You can use your .22 Henry for small bore and pistol cartridge matches. You may loose a few heavy animals, but it'll be a good learning tool.

Michael

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
45colt (and 44Mag, 44-40, etc) is legal for Pistol Cartridge AS LONG AS it doesn’t damage the targets.... and it WILL damage mild steel chickens unless loaded way below subsonic.... At my matches I give shooters the option to shoot them with the understanding they are responsible for replacing or repairing any broken/damaged targets. One guy just brought me back 11 of the targets he and his buddy shooting a 44Mag broke in just 4 matches.

- Tim

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Congrats and Welcome to the forum from Missouri!!! Please post pics and range report when you get it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
First - It is no longer "Cowboy" - we got rid of that name so there would be less confusion with the people who dress up and shoot.
Second - Look at Steel Chickens web site - You'll get the correct answer there.

Michael
Not sure if you were talking to me or not...however, my Rifle is a 45C "Cowboy",,, I was not speaking about the sport...BobG in VA

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
So I ordered a Marlin 1984 Cowboy (in 45LC for ease of ammo acquisition) and want to set it up for my aging eyes.
I use Williams receiver sights, but tangs are fine too.

I have a link to an "assistance" tool for setting sights for those of us with tired eyes. Mine is for the Williams. but I'm sure you could do similar with other sights.....

Just takes a little handymanning and a little patience. But it saves me time on the line!

https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/australian-new-zealand-marlin-owner-s/376834-curan-s-hint-tired-eyes-when-adjusting-williams-reciever-sights.html

·
Read Only
1,036 Posts
So, after years of doing "tactical" pistol stuff I've decided that cowboys have more fun :)

I've shot a couple Silhouette practice nights with a Henry .22LR and at one fired another member's Marlin in .41 MAG and it kind of hooked me.

I'm thinking of either a Lyman Globe or Lee Shaver front sight and am interested in opinions on models and sight heights.

For the rear, I was thinking about Marble Tang Sights though would consider the Lee Shaver Soule if I could be convinced they were really worth the price difference.

I'll be grateful for advice on those choices and any other advice you can offer on my first center fire Marlin and in getting into Silhouette.

Thanks !
MisfitGeek,

I have been hooked on the silhouette game for several years and have several big bore lever rifles and pistol cartridge lever rifles. The Marble tang sight is a good choice as well as the Williams fool proof target knob sight. They both work well for the pistol cartridge course of fire.

I also have a Lee Shaver economy soule sight on a 38-55 Marlin CB. I shoot a 270gr cast bullet that leaves the barrel at only 1,030 fps. The front sight is a medium height Lyman 17A globe. There is 27 min of adjustment between the chicken and ram. The Lee Shaver sight provides the vertical adjustments needed with ease and repeatable accuracy. I have a 45-70 and 30-30 that both have the Williams fool proof target knob sight and both work well with the factory front sight or low 17A front globe.

For the pistol cartridge course of fire, there is no need for the Soule type sight. However, I understand the difference between need and want!

Look at (Bullaloarms.com) for a wide variety of the Williams fool proof target knob sights. I have the side mount version. They may also have a top mount version that attaches in the rear scope mount holes.

Good luck

·
Registered
119 Posts
I am not a huge fan of Williams fp tk sights, but that's what we are using. Very simple to install and set up. Front sight height could be a big deal if you need 20+ minutes of elevation to reach rams.

I doubt if the 45 LC is ideal for the 200m stage, but that doesn't mean it's not fun or worth doing . Go for it . Definitely works for pistol cartridge as per previous posts.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
I use a williams foolproof on most of my marlins, if that does not work.... you can always scope it. I don't like the tang sights, as they 1) get in the way of my thumb, 2) have the possibility of hitting me in the face (not on a 45 colt but maybe on my 45/70 or 50 alaskan) and 3) have a good chance of scratching the wood when they fold down unexpectedly... like transporting them.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I use a williams foolproof on most of my marlins, if that does not work.... you can always scope it. QUOTE]

No scopes in Lever Action Silhouette. Buckhorn or peep sights are OK, but no scopes, red dots, or any optics.
.45 Colt will take a 200 yard ram, but trajectory is rainbow-like. Better to work up a mild load for Pistol Cartridge and use 30-30 for the long range matches.

If you go for a tang sight learn to hold the rifle with your thumb to the right of the sight post - wrapping the thumb around the stock is a beginners error. Go to a match and see what others are doing. You'll need a good (key work "GOOD") gunsmith to mount a tang sight and if the serial number is on the tang you'll have to have it restamped on the receiver.

A Williams sight is a lot less trouble!
M

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
I use a williams foolproof on most of my marlins, if that does not work.... you can always scope it. QUOTE]

No scopes in Lever Action Silhouette. Buckhorn or peep sights are OK, but no scopes, red dots, or any optics.
.45 Colt will take a 200 yard ram, but trajectory is rainbow-like. Better to work up a mild load for Pistol Cartridge and use 30-30 for the long range matches.

If you go for a tang sight learn to hold the rifle with your thumb to the right of the sight post - wrapping the thumb around the stock is a beginners error. Go to a match and see what others are doing. You'll need a good (key work "GOOD") gunsmith to mount a tang sight and if the serial number is on the tang you'll have to have it restamped on the receiver.

A Williams sight is a lot less trouble!
M
If we are talking SASS long range rifle, then you are stuck with the tang. I don't think anything else is legal. The williams is NOT legal I know. Have been shooting SASS for 10-12 years now, I don't wrap the thumb over on main match rifle, but when hunting or long range I do, better accuracy and a habit for me. Been shooting a lever gun over 55 years wrapped. I had Turnbull make me a 32 inch barrelled, shotgun butt Winchester 1886 in 50-110 for my long range shooter.

·
Registered
57 Posts
If we are talking SASS long range rifle, then you are stuck with the tang. I don't think anything else is legal. The williams is NOT legal I know. Have been shooting SASS for 10-12 years now, I don't wrap the thumb over on main match rifle, but when hunting or long range I do, better accuracy and a habit for me. Been shooting a lever gun over 55 years wrapped. I had Turnbull make me a 32 inch barrelled, shotgun butt Winchester 1886 in 50-110 for my long range shooter.
They aren't talking about SASS...this is lever gun silhouette.....Williams is legal...Shrps74

1 - 17 of 17 Posts