Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I did some research on google and found the basic info on this lil beauty. However, I am having trouble finding anything with the same engraving pattern. There are some that are similar but nothing matches 100%. Can anyone tell me what this might be worth? It is missing a small screw and there is a chip on one of the grips. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
That is slicker than deer guts on a door knob! Seems to me that the handguns are still kind of "unknown" as far as rank and file collectors go, but that one is a beaut!

A local trader was at a show last week with a Marlin handgun, saw him out of the corner of my eye showing it around, then I lost track of him, and never got too see the gun up close.

Yours sure looks to be VG or better, as far as antiques go but I have no experience to guess its value. I suspect its rather pricey in that condition.

·
Premium Member
7,250 Posts
Marlin pistols were usually Nimschke engraved, and that appears to be his work. They are always extremely nice engraving. Values are not great on the old Marlin pistols, and a non engraved one in similar condition will go around $350-$400. With the engraving I'd say your's will probably double that figure and be in the $700-$850 range. Grips appear to be ivory from what I can tell, and that's nice.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
A lot of that era engraving has the large scrolls, so it might take some comparison with known work and yes, I would bet for sure those are pearl grips. If he could document that as Nimcshke's work, factory letter or however, it would sure add big dinero.

If I recall correctly there were two brothers named Nimchske, and both worked for Marlin and Win off and on. So the styles were very similar. I would have to go back and read up on it, but if memory serves, they got paid better at Marlin. ;)

·
Premium Member
7,250 Posts
Barenjager said:
I believe those grips are mother of pearl.

Roe
Yep, they sure are. Guess I didn't look close enough. Still cool!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts