1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How interesting!!! :hmmmm:

---- Alliant Reloading <[email protected]> wrote:
> Bryan,
> I have talked with all of my engineers.
> This bullet is not designed for use in the 44-40.
> The diameter is not for this cartridge/firearm and the design of the bullet is not suitable at all for use in this application.
> We do not/ will not be working up any load data for this bullet in this cartridge as it is not designed for such.
> We strongly suggest that this bullet not be used in this configuration.
> Thanks,
>
> Shoot Straight
> DuaneVB
> CCI/SPEER/ALLIANT POWDER
> 2299 Snake River Ave.
> Lewiston, ID
>
>
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: me
> Sent: Saturday, September 06, 2014 8:00 AM
> To: Alliant Reloading
> Subject: Alliant Powder - Ask the Expert Form
>
>

>
>
>
> Is there any way I can get you guys to pressure test the 44-40 with 20gr of 2400 with CCI300 primers and a Speer DCHP 210gr bullet? I have some ballistics tests in Clear Gel and am very pleased with the performance. Appears to replicate the year 1903 44-40 High Velocity cartriges that produced 22,000 PSI I am guessing a tad more. LINK TO VIDEO
>
>
> 1903 - Introduction of the W.H.V. (Winchester High Velocity) cartridge
>
> We first see these new improved performance cartridges in Winchester's Catalog #70 dated March, 1903. Cartridges were head stamped .44 W.C.F. W.H.V. 'M92. Velocity with a 200 gr. metal patched bullet was catalogued at 1,500 f.p.s. in a 24" barrel. Instructions in Winchester's catalogue and on the cartridge boxes indicated they were not for use in '73 Winchesters or handguns. Velocity was increased to 1,570 f.p.s. in 1910.
>
> U.M.C. brought out their .44-40 high velocity cartridge shortly after Winchester did. Cartridges were head stamped U.M.C. .44-40 H.V. to distinguish them from the U.M.C. .44-40 head stamp used on the standard cartridge. Catalogued velocity from the start was 1,570 f.p.s. with a 200 gr. bullet. PETERS used the .44-40 H.P. designation.
>

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
They are scared to death that somebody will put the load in an old Colt or clone, or in a '73 Winchester.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How come no one is scared to death that someone will put a high velocity 45-70 in a "Trapdoor"? This is true with various cartridges but yet the 44-40 is always the stepchild

1 - 4 of 4 Posts