Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the Marlin Owners forum and was wondering how to tell if the 1895 I have purchased is a true pre-Remington gun. It is an 1895 sbl with JM stamped on the barrel, but the serial starts with 91xxx. I have done some research and found that even though it has the JM stamp it still could be a "marlington"? Does anyone have any guidance for me? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
I think you got one just as the plant was moving... how's the fit and finish (how the would matches up to the metal and such)? I have an STBL from the same time frame. Had some minor issues but all resolved.

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
Post pictures and take them close up. Everyone here enjoys pictures. I picked up a Remlin and the dipstick at the counter started telling me their quality was better now at the new plant. I held it up to the light were you could see daylight where the stock met the receiver and said 'yeah, right'. Handed it back to him and just shook my head.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Post pictures and take them close up. Everyone here enjoys pictures. I picked up a Remlin and the dipstick at the counter started telling me their quality was better now at the new plant. I held it up to the light were you could see daylight where the stock met the receiver and said 'yeah, right'. Handed it back to him and just shook my head.
Are you talking about the very front edge of the stock? There is supposed to be a tiny gap on both sides so the corners dont get chipped off from recoil. Even so I dont think it will be any time soon before Remington starts making a decent rifle.

As far as a JM stamped SBL I have seen a couple online and here on the forum but they seem to have made a very small number of them. The ones I have seen look to be of the same quality you would expect from an old school Marlin.

·
Banned
1,519 Posts
I believe there is one on GunAuction .com right now. Yes...yours is after requisition...BUT....still made by marlin...The real deal before reminton screwed everything up.

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
The gaps I'm talking about are not at the corners, they are all over. And some tight at the top of a seam and open at the bottom. I confess most of what I've seen are from posts here but this one was in person. It showed daylight (a lot of it) right through the rifle when looking at it sideways - right at that virtical seam where stock meets reciever. I thought to myself, 'how can that be'. I thought my stock had little tabs that dovetail inside the metal where they come together??? This thing looked like it was cut off with a chop saw and came up a 1/16 ++ short.

And to be more accurate about the conversation and why I referred to him as a dipstick... conversation started out about guns, then on to the Marlins they were getting in and his comment about the quality was in answer to my question "so is Remington getting a handle on their quality control issues"? His response: "Oh, Remington started off making better guns than Marlin ever made em". So that earned him just a smidgen of distain.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Ksta315

Welcome to the forum & congratulations on your new rifle!
Frank

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
"Oh, Remington started off making better guns than Marlin ever made em". So that earned him just a smidgen of distain.
That statement alone would have earned him an immediate "FAIL" in my opinion..... :flute:

Reactions: SgtDog0311

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Here are some pictures, hopefully the quality is good enough to see the areas of question around the stock.

·
Banned
2,583 Posts
Looks pretty darn nice to me!! Congrats on your great new toy and enjoy your time at the range with it this weekend! What type loads will you be running through it?

Reactions: Ksta315

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks pretty darn nice to me!! Congrats on your great new toy and enjoy your time at the range with it this weekend! What type loads will you be running through it?
Thanks, all I have for ammo at this time are the Hornady Leverevoulution. Any recommendations?

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
Whoa, that's a nice looking rifle! I shot a lot of LE through mine and it does great. Have migrated that caliber to 'cast' so it does not see much jacketed anymore - my shoulder thanks me. Good looking marlin you got there bud! Congratulations!!!

·
Banned
2,583 Posts
Thanks, all I have for ammo at this time are the Hornady Leverevoulution. Any recommendations?
The Hornady Leverevolutions should shoot very well in that rifle. Recommendation?? Yup, Hold on tight!! :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
congrats on a great looking rifle ,i have a 2009 GG JM stamped and i can not ask for a better rifle fit and finish are great accuracy is great ,i also have a 1977 22 inch barrel so i have seen both fairly new and old i like them both .again congrats and welcome to the forum .lastly welcome to the addiction

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
If you can find some of the Remington 405gr JSP ammo that usually shoots pretty well. It's a fun load to shoot too.
Let us know how it does at the range. I'm betting it'll shoot really well.
Frank

·
Registered
343 Posts
I am new to the Marlin Owners forum and was wondering how to tell if the 1895 I have purchased is a true pre-Remington gun. It is an 1895 sbl with JM stamped on the barrel, but the serial starts with 91xxx. I have done some research and found that even though it has the JM stamp it still could be a "marlington"? Does anyone have any guidance for me? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
If it has a JM then it is a Marlin, manufactured in NH. The 91xxx is expected as both the GBL and SBL were first manufactured near the end of life of the NH plant. The 91xxx was used in both 2009 and 2010.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Ksta315, Welcome to the forum and from looking at your pics you did very good. That wood fit looks great, How does the front site look?
That is the only think I could not really see in your pics. Hold the rifle up level and look down the sights... if its strait its perfect. Mine was offset to the left when I got it.

Doc

1 - 20 of 24 Posts