Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't draw any tags for special seasons this year so will hunt general Rocky Mountain season in eastern Oregon beginning November 6.

Looking forward to the season this year as we all drew a blank Elk season last year. Last year I drew a blank for deer and elk. Year before filled both tags. So far this year got a small mulie buck opening day.

Our camping spot is 35 miles from my home. Could have a little snow as the site is above 5000 feet. Good thing close to home as diesel is around $2.35 a gallon. Will get 2nd mortgage to fill Dodge P.U.! I thought the Saudis had a deal with W to lower prices before the election. Oh well.

Busy packing the 5th wheeler, sharpening knives, getting supplies for 2 weeks of camping, tuned power saw, did laundry, made sure firearms okay, etc.

Usually hunt flats opening morning, after that the hillsides and deep draws and canyons. Packboads all set up. Brother in law from Portland area suggested that we try to shoot something closer to the road. Gee, never thought of that before!

Will use old standby....a cerca 1972 Remington BDL 7 MM Mag,VARI-X III Leupold 2 1/2 to 8 scope. 175 gr. Nosler Partitions 78 gr. H-870....chrono at 2920 fps. Back-up....Marlin 1895SS 22" 45/70....405 gr. Rem....51.5 gr 3031, chrono 1810 fps. Have had good luck with both. Use these loads for deer also.

Making about half the deer into jerky. Sending it to my Marine grandson in Iraq. Help celebrate his promotion to Lance Corporal. Hopefully he'll be with us next year.

Well good luck everybody!

·
Premium Member
12,054 Posts
Interestingly that load of 78 grains of H870 under Nosler's 175 grain partition is exactly what I used in my 7mm Rem mag to take a nice big Wyoming 6x6 a couple of years ago. My velocity was almost exactly 2930 fps from a Rem 700 ADL.

I think that load is about a grain hotter than current loading manuals recommend... I like it anyway! :D Pretty impressive accuracy and I believe that long Nosler 175 would penetrate a mastadon...

Best of luck on your elk hunt! Regards, Guy

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'll keep you posted on the success of the hunt, (or lack of it).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts