Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've survived another summer in south central New Mexico. I've emerged from hibernation. The other day, I heard juvenile bulls beginning to bugle. The rains have been good to us this year and everything is green and lush. I looked in the freezer and found it to be seriously low of elk meat. Only about 12 packs of steaks and 4 packs of hamburger remain. I thought, "Hmmp, It must be elk season."

Cow tag in hand, the only question that remains, what Marlin to use this year. Should I use: a.) 1951 336-SC (.30-30), b.) the stand-by 308MX, c.) the 336ER, or d.) the .375? All are loaded and ready.

I love elk season. Good luck to all this coming hunting season. I hope you enjoy a safe and enjoyable time in the mountains (or wherever you hunt).

Dan

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
My vote is for the 336ER for that extra little something.

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
Good luck to you. I'll be heading up soon with my youngest son for Elk, we both have Cow tags here as well. I'll be taking my 444 and .35 rem, while my son will bring his BLR in .358 win and guess we'll see what happens. We decided it will be a lever gun only year, and leaving the bolts behind this time out... :biggrin:

·
Registered
60 Posts
October 14th I'll be heading home to Saskatchistan (Saskatchewan Canada ) to hunt with my big Bro. He has his moose tag and I'll have the elk. The area is virgin and only accessible by quad and foot. My 45/70 GG will accompany me along with some 405gr cast handloads using IMR 4198. Good luck to all that are going after this tasty beast!
Cheers

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Cow elk for me starting in November. 444 Marlin shooting the RD432-300 should do the job. Another hunt in an area I've never been in until recently. I'm scouting it up real good and full of confidence even though my tag says Limited Opportunity.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
shot the 338mx and the 356 win today. The truck is fueled and windows cleaned. Everything packed for 16 days in the mountains......

I leave for Idaha in 6 hours and 53 minutes.

I wish I could sleep.........

·
Registered
920 Posts
I was already out there and I now have a freezer full!!! Widow P1000167.JPG P1000163.JPG

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm elk hunting next weekend in a High Cascade Bull Hunt. Taking the 1895 SBL on it's first elk hunt, open sights and all.

Reactions: Catherine
1 - 13 of 13 Posts