Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Need some advise. Just found out my wife and I got drawn for elk. I have a Marlin 1894 .44 which I will use for the hunt. I would like to scope the gun for the hunt (eyes getting old) and need advise as to a good scope and mounts for this gun (price is a BIG consideration) I have already killed 2 elk with my BP rifle using the 240gn .44 bullet so I don't feel undergunned using the Marlin.

I have not got into pisol cal. reloading yet so does anyone have advise as to a factory load for this gun and elk? I always used Hornady XP bullets before with good results.

Thanks,

·
Registered
153 Posts
My personal choice to scope the 1894 with is a Leupold VX-II 2-7X33 Heavy Duplex shotgun scope. Yes, I said shotgun scope. It is parallax adjusted for slug guns and you are shooting a gun that you should limit your shots to no more than 125 yards and preferably more like 75 yards on Elk or Deer sized game. Weaver bases and rings will work fine for this one, too. I have this exact combo on an 1894FG in .41 Rem Mag., but will be doing the same as soon as I decide which of my 1894s will be getting the other VX-II.

Since you are not yet handloading for the .44 Rem Mag. I suggest that you go ahead and obtain some factory Hornady 240 grain XTPs.

Having said the above, I really recommend getting into rolling your own.
Regards,
Rich

·
Banned
749 Posts
My 1894 44Mag carries a leupold 1x4 20mm scope.Its the perfect scope for this rifle.Federal 300gr castcore ammo shot great in my 1894.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I had pretty much figured a low power variable scope would be best. On the mounts, does anyone make a quick release style to take on and off and keep the zero?

I plan on starting reloading as soon as I get a house built. I think the wife would frown on buying a new reloading system while we live in a travel trailer :lol:

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
Leupold, Warne and Talley make quick release mounts and rings which will return to POI.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I was about to cloud up and rain until I got to the part about you having killed two elk with a muzzleloader. You're qualified.

We don't run to elk in these parts, but judging on how 240s perform on deer, I'd go to a heavier bullet looking for more penetration and less expansion.

Think about a fixed 2x or 2.5x. That's one less thing to go wrong.

·
Registered
8,076 Posts
Buffalo Bore makes some good bullets and they have the 300 grain Speer loaded in there 44 mag loads.I use the Speer 300 Unicore in my .454 and it is one tuff bullet.Might check them out if your useing factory ammo_Or if Hardcast Randy Garretts loads are as good as they get.Both spendy but well worth the bucks for an Elk Hunt if you don't reload.
Good luck on your hunt and choice...

Jayco.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts