Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's another elk hunting scenario - just for fun! Again, you're three days into a week long hunt, and find this nice bull. He's wary, but hasn't quite got you located. Looking in the wrong direction, he knows something is amiss. Range is about 220 yards, a 10 mph breeze is blowing from left to right. Temp is hovering around 18 degrees.

Do you take the shot?

Tell us about your rifle, scope or sights, your load info.

Are you going to shoot from standing? Kneeling? Some other position? Wait for him to move? What's your plan to tag this nice 6x6 bull?

*Photo taken by me, yesterday, here in Washington at the Oak Creek winter feeding station near Yakima.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Marlin XL-7 30.06 180 gr Rem Core-Lok Leupold 4x12 I would wait for a move

·
Registered
357 Posts
That's a dead elk. There are 2 black marks on the lead shoulder. Hit the lower one. Hell, hit either one. You'll rip the plumbing from the top of the heart and a lung as well. Get ready to pack the meat out.

·
Registered
579 Posts
YUP 4570,300gr , 3X9 on 5.
Right in the X

·
Registered
539 Posts
I pass, I already tagged out on Elk #1.

·
Premium Member
4,169 Posts
308 Winchester 165 grain BT, from prone (its a close shot...the tree), hold 1.5 - 2 inches to the left of that X that was posted above (the wind)...and squeeze!

·
Premium Member
12,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The wind actually was blowing about 10 - 12 mph, and the temps seemed to be about in the 20's, maybe low 30's when I took the photo. A mere 10 mph crosswind can move a bullet well off course even at 220 yards. Worth a thought before pressing the trigger.

Am currently without a big bore Marlin, and 220 yards on a bull elk is out of my comfort zone with my .30-30 Marlin. I'd likely be carrying one of these rifles on this hunt:

.30-06 M1917 with a 6x Leupold, moving a 180 gr Nosler Partition at 2700 fps. The rifle is sighted in at 200 yards, and I'd hold a couple inches into the wind, trying to hit right about where those dark spots are, on the near-side shoulder. Hoping to get the bullet into the heart & lungs. At 220 yards, I'd prefer to be sitting, using my sling, or crossed sticks for stability. I've been shooting this ol' rifle since 1966 and it's a favorite.

.375 H&H Ruger Number One with an old 2-7x Redfield, and a 260 gr Nosler Accubond at 2620 fps, sighted in at 200 yards. Don't need this much rifle for elk, but I thoroughly enjoy hunting with it, and used it on bear last fall. I'd love to whack a nice bull like this with it! Not a lot of wind drift with the slick Accubond bullet.

Elk hunting isn't until next fall, and I was in torture out taking these elk photos, without a rifle in hand this weekend! ;D

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
This bull is not aware of my presence so I will have time to find a rest or go to whatever steadier position is allowed by the terrain. I would be using my 700 BDL 30-06 loading with 180 Hornady BTSP's running at 2600 fps sighed in dead on at 100 yards, this rifle has a 3X9 Redfield with the thick european style cross hair. I would hold just under his chin with about 1 inch of windage, squeeze her off and watch him go down. Knife work would be next....

MM

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I would use a rest - either lean the rifle up against a tree or throw down my pack - and hold about as shown with my 416 Ruger and 3x9 Nikon scope (350gr X bullet at 2500fps), and compensate a bit to the left for the crosswind.

Boom! Flop. ;D

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
I'm definitely taking this shot. I'm using my Ruger M77 30-06 with 180 gr Nosler Partition bullets loaded to 2700 fps. I'm going to hold just about where that red dot is because I'm sighted in for 200 yards and allowing for a bit of a drop and wind drift, I should hit him right about where that white patch begins. That should put him down down for the count. If I have a tree, I'll use it for a rest, if not, I'll be in a sitting position using the sling and my knees to steady the shot.

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
IN1894SS said:
I'd take this one as well, same equipment as #1.
+1 and also the same area that slamfire points too.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Too far for me with my 45-70 but that's a slam dunk with my Ruger 77 in 300 win mag. I'd kneel down, rest the gun on my shooting sticks and put him to rest with a 180 gr Nosler Partition. Key

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Again .300 WM 200 gr. Nosler part.

Hold app 10 inches lower than X and left at the edge of the tree.

Punch the bullet through the shoulder and have a nice heart, double lung shot!

Hip

·
Registered
71 Posts
the 338mx in his neck under the chin and he falls like a rock. if a rest is handy i'd use it but in that open country is is probably an off hand shot for me.

nailer

·
Registered
480 Posts
220 yards so I'd be using my .35 Whelen again. 250gr Speers. If I have a chance I'm going to sit down and take a rest off my knees. I've taken more than a couple bulls that way. My shot is going to be aimed right behind the offside shoulder.

·
Registered
320 Posts
375 Ruger African, 1.8-5.5 Conquest set to 5.5, 300gr Interbond at 2650fps right on the black spots and hope it's downhill to the truck.

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
I'm aiming for the tip of his nose with the same load and rifle as Elk #1.

.444 Marlin 265 hornady fp and 47g h4198. sitting with shooting sticks.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts