Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just for fun... You're hunting elk "out west" with your chosen rifle & load. This may happen yearly for you, or might be something that's a once-in-a-lifetime trip for you. Three days into the week long hunt, this is the best opportunity you've seen yet at a bull. Range is a modest 120 yards. He's very aware of your presence and has you located. There's no wind to speak of. Temps are in the 20's.

Would you take the shot? Where would you aim? What's your rifle, scope or sights, and load?

Take it from standing? Drop to a knee? Go for sitting? Tell us what you've got and what you'd do.

*I took this photo yesterday, walking with my wife, up in the hills here in Washington.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I would with my 4570,standing.

right in the X

·
Registered
539 Posts
The red X above is the spot, I steady against a tree and take the shoot with my guide gun loaded with speer 300 grain HP leaving the barrel at 2,000+ fps. I can already taste the back strap!

·
Premium Member
12,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hunting in the timber like this, I'm probably going to be carrying either:

My old .30-06 M1917 with a 6x Leupold, and 180 gr Nosler Partitions sighted in at 200 yards. Or, my .375 H&H Number One, with a 2-7x Redfield and a 260 gr Nosler Accubond sighted in at 200 yards. I've been shooting the .30-06 for a long time, 40+ years, and we get along well together. This Number One is fairly new to me, but I used it to take a good bear last fall.

Am a little concerned with the branches in the way of his vitals. Not a lot of target there, and some opportunity for the bullet to deflect. I think I'd try to wait for him to step forward, at least one more step... 120 yards isn't far, but any time I can sink down and take a knee, or go to sitting or even prone for a shot, I'll try to do so. Can I do it while he's watching? Probably not without spooking him... Maybe if I got down to prone I'd be able to see and shoot under those intervening branches... Dunno. I'm not eager to take this shot, yet.

Guy

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
XLR 30-30 170's Leupold on 4x one step and meat in the freezer

·
Premium Member
12,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes sir! Not much farther than a relative of mine was taking cow & spike elk with his .30-30 a few years back. He had a deluxe setup in an orchard, the elk would come in there to feed, and he was actually living in the orchard, in a trailer. His ol' .30-30 Win 94 filled the freezer for him several times. Told me that most of his shots were at 60 yards or less.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I agree......I wait for a clearer shot at the vitals.If he has you pegged and hasnt spooked yet.....he is probably figuring that you might not be aware of his presence,and wont bolt unless you move.Patience Grasshopper!

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Since this little bull is aware of my presence I have very, very little time to make this shot, so it would be off hand with my Rem 700 BDL 30-06. My load is a 180 grain Hornady BTSP running at 2600 fps sighted dead on at 100 yards. I would hold dead center on his shoulder, after that the fun would be over and the real work would begin.

MM

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
.270, 150 grain Nosler partition. Hopefully, I could grab a tree, rest the rifle on my arm and unleash the fury. I would definately take the shot. I hunt for food.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I would hold as shown with my 416 Ruger and 3x9 Nikon scope, loaded with 350gr X bullets at 2500fps, from a kneeling position to help steady the rifle. I'm a bit worried about the small branches in the way but I would bet the bullet wouldn't deflect much.

Boom! Flop. ;D

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
With a solid shooting position I'd do it. An elk hunt would be a very rare hunt for me. Not sure what I'd end up with but I'm guessing in the end I'd probably go with the 35 Whelen. I would switch bullets for this hunt and if 225gr Partitions shot well I think that's where I go.

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
Been in this position many times and depending on what is available for a rest I would take what I could. I would have calls with but would only use one to stop the bull if he started to move. You rarely have much time so a situation like this is a split second decision, but if possible I would make as little movement as possible and use the trunk of a tree for a rest and send a bullet to the base of his neck/shoulder about where slamfire placed the red dot. Hunting elk all my life in Wyoming I know that most opportunities are long shots here so I would be carrying one of my belted magnums, either a 300WM or the 338WM. My favorite is the 338WM stoked with a Sierra 250SBT traveling at 2800FPS. I shot a bull one year through the center of a tree like the one in front of this bull, but the tree was much closer to the the elk and the bullet still broke the bulls neck. My shot was off because I had fallen down and damaged my scope while hot on their trail and the shot was 70 yards inside a stand of lodge pole pine.

·
Premium Member
12,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So it wasn't just a hard-core bullet test? ;D

Gee, let's see if we can kill the elk, shooting through the tree first? No... I don't think I'd plan it that way either...

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
No, it was not planned. ;D Three of use were tracking a herd in fresh snow and it was still coming down. We were led up in to the timber and we dropped a big 6x6 and we all went over and started to dress it out and I said I was going to go see how far they went. As I went over the top of the hill and started down I slipped and fell on my back and the rifle's scope hit a rock and bent the bell. ::) I cleaned it off and continued down and when I was going up the next hill I jumped the herd again and they went a short distance and stopped. I picked out my bull that was pissing and had a clear shot at his front shoulder and his neck and head was covered with tree's. So I aimed sitting at his shoulder and at the shot he dropped on the spot. While dressing him out I looked to where I shot from and saw the bullet had passed through the center of the tree. :eek: After I finished cleaning it out my other friend that stayed behing to help with the first came along to help me and he tracked the herd about 150 yards away and killed his bull. It was a beautiful sight seeing my truck loaded with three mature bull elk. ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
953 Posts
In Colorado a bull has to have at least 4 points on a side. I can't tell if he's legal or not so I'd have to wait or pass on that shot. Key

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I'd hit him with my .300 WM with 200 gr. Partitions. I'd hit him about 10 inches down fron the X in the 2nd. picture and 1-2 inches to the left.
Break him down with the shoulder lung shot !!! Use the nearest tree to steady your aim as you should have been moving tree to tree to begin with.

Hip

·
Registered
480 Posts
120 yards, huh? Man, compared to where I am across the hill on the 'wet' side from you, that's a mighty long shot... ;D But yeah, I'd take it simply because around here if you wait for a wide open broadside standing shot, you aren't going to be eating much for elk steaks, roasts and burger ;)

I'd probably be using my .348 or .444 if'n I was on my side of the Cascades. But if I were shooting that bull right where he is, I'd be using my 35 Whelen and a 250gr Speer.

·
Registered
320 Posts
375 Ruger, 1.8-5.5 conquest would be set at 3-4x in timber, 300gr Interbond at 2650fps. I'd pull up on him and wait for him to take a step away from the brush, probably take him anyway after 10 seconds before I got tired and blew it.

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
I'd take 2 shots b/f he knew what was comin, first one would prolly hit the tree, second right where d4570 was aiming in the second post.

444 marlin loaded with 265 hornady FP/ 47g h4198. Sitting with shooting sticks.

·
Premium Member
12,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That ought to work...

What kind of velocity do you get with those 265's?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts