Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed out Sat. morning for my damage control elk hunt! It's cow only, so no trophy racks to look for, but still I'm looking forward to some elk steaks if I'm lucky!
I've got until March 15th to try and bag one, and the hunt areas are all within 1 hour of my house, so we'll be hunting weekends mostly. My plan is to try a different old gun from my safe each weekend until I'm sucesful, or run out of time. I'm starting tommorrow with my 1955 vintage 336, in .35 Rem. (the newest Marlin in my safe) If weather permits, I'm going to use my Ballard Pacific in .45-70, or my Ballard #4 in the same caliber the following weekend.
I'm sort of hoping to not see something too soon, as I want to extend my hunting as long as possible! Snow forecast for the weekend here, so that should help in locating the elk!

·
Registered
397 Posts
MM,
Have fun !!!
Our special whitetail doe reduction season just ended with sundown today. I was out with my Model 1893 .32-40 with a 28" re-lined (Norman Johnson) barrel. It was a BLAST ! All my hunting pals were using modern bolt actions with scopes. Things were going fine, until it started snowing.... I mean really snowing. All of a sudden the scoped bolt-actions were nearly useless, and the Marlin was shining ! What a definite advantage to not have optics ! Anyway, a very rewarding hunt and a truely fun day.

Good luck with the elk.

WB

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
mm93

You are going to have a GREAT time! I still hope you don't get anything until the weekend you take one of your 1881's along!!! Hopefully one in .40-60.

As always, have fun but be careful!

Geoff

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pretty stormy yesterday! Couldn't find the elk, due to snow, rain, and strong winds! Held up under some trees every time it got really bad. Stll regardless of the weather, a bad day hunting is better than work!
We'll give it a try again next week!

·
Registered
579 Posts
You seem to remember the really rough hunts a lot longer!!!!!!! moodyholler

·
Registered
719 Posts
badweather?

vall....it was 70f here today, we got out and weeded the flower beds some :p ...........

eheheheheheheeeeeeee.......

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hunting is pretty poor for elk when it's 70 here! I want the cold and snow on the ground, just not coming down while I'm hunting! The elk hunker down, and unless we bust them out, we wont see them. It's clear and sunny today, but highs in the high 30's.
Hopefully we'll get more snow to drive them down out of the mountains! I'd rather have them come down to us, than chase them up in those mountains! My legs will be sore for a week from this weekend's hunt!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Looks like we got your snow here, Vall. We had a couple of Montana lows come snortin through- the first on thursday, and the second on saturday. There's 21 inches of snow on the roof next door as I write this. Good luck on the hunt- elk meat is one of the best eaters.....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
The northwind finally stopped here but it was 0 this morning. So mm93 what rifle are you planning to take next weekend? Also curious about what your load might be?

Did you really weed in your garden Kaintuck or are you just pulling our leg? You southern boys have really got it made!

mm93, I'm pretty sure your not going to get your elk until you take one of your 1881's. Its pining away in your safe now begging you to take it!

Geoff

·
Registered
272 Posts
I'll be darned,a guy with all the great guns reduced to a 336 to hunt with.It is hard for me to believe you'd leave all the great guns in the safe and drag a modern THING like that along. I must confess it is a tad startling to hear.A fine choice in cartridge I'll admit,but a 336??? Oh well you know what you want.Good luck this weekend.modoc

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hardly a "new" gun! A model 336 is a newer Marlin, but at 50 years old, not exactly new! I'll be choosing a different one for this week's hunt. Haven't decided which yet. Need to hold the best for that phone call, when they hit the pastures! Have a friend who lives next to our hunting area, and has 120 acres. The elk will move into his fields, once the snow hits up higher!

·
Registered
719 Posts
weedin'

geoff....nope! did some weeding, between call-outs. then i rode with the window down! :D
looks like the cold front is moving in now tho..rainey and cooler...i'm not on-call for 3 weeks, so it will get yuckky NOW!! :cry:
val, i wish i could come along.....i never will get to elk hunt, to far to go from here!.....but if i could, i have a nice 38-55 that would be ok by me to use..... :wink: maybe i'll just have to try for whitetail down here someday. i might even leave the sweds at home!!! :roll:

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Boy I'd love to spend the day hunting with you too Kaintuck! We've got snow scheduled tonight down to about 1,000 ft. My friend's place is at 1400 ft., so maybe I better take the old Ballard in .45-70 this weekend! I might get a chance to see something, and I'd sure like to have the right gun if I do!

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wish I had good news! With the rest of the US getting record cold weather, we're having record warm weather, and it's killing my elk hunt! We've been out every weekend, and the elk just haven't had enough cold to force them down into our hunt area. We still have until the middle of March, but if it doesn't hurry up and get cold here, we might get skunked!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts