Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys have already seen a few of the elk posted taken here in Colorado, but most of us enjoy seeing the performance the 444 is capable of with a good load. This is a rather young @3 yr old bull that was taken at about 35 yards in deep timber on opening day, it was no fun to pack out. The 290 grain BTB dropped him in his tracks. Full pass through.

The 444 loaded right will drop anything in North America.

A friend of mine from out of state came for the hunt with a brand new 444 Marlin and not being a re-loader was using Underwood 335 HC (pricey), he admitting to rushing a nice 5X5 so an expensive hunt for him all around. Colorado like a few other western states are getting darn expensive for non-residents.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,944 Posts
Congrats, Stinky Beasts are a hoot to hunt, and being in the Rocky Mountains is the desert!

Reactions: hawkeyesatx

·
Super Moderator
23,918 Posts
Congrats on a very successful hunt! Can't beat elk steaks! I use the same bullet in my 444P and know it will take care of anything in North America. A Canadian guide who has posted on MO has taken two close range grizzes with hand loaded 265 gr Hornady Interlocks in his Triple-4. I don't feel under gunned when toting my Triple-4s in the woods.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Congrats on your hunt.

·
Premium Member
1,656 Posts
Very nice!
A 444 Marlin wearing Skinner sights is an ideal rig for taking up close & personal shots at elk in the dark timber.
A cast bullet only makes it better!

·
Premium Member
11,129 Posts
Yup, go and get them in the timber. Work, but nothing like it.
Thanks for the post ...............

·
Premium Member
13,428 Posts
Good hunting right there. Congrats!

·
Super Moderator
15,611 Posts
Congratulations on a job well done! The 290gr Beartooth® LFNGC is the bullet I use for elk hunting. It performs superbly and all critters hit with it always go in the same direction; DOWN!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts