Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys
Need some help!
Went to the range today with my 94 22m and im still shooting low with the elevation ramp maxed out, I even went past the last notch to the ridge of the last notch and this was at only 15 meters.
Its a 1983 model and im sure the sights are all original,
can any body post a picture of their rear buckhorn, ramp and front sight? please,please,please :questionmark:
Is it possible im not getting my eye down low enough?
I did manage to get 3 shots in one messy hole by holding the front bead about 5mm over the notch in the buckhorn.
I think this thing is capable of really good groups but driving home I was seriously thinking about selling it.
Cheers **** from down under

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
Im not even gonna comment on the above.....

Check for a bent barrel then, get a taller front sight.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im not even gonna comment on the above.....

Check for a bent barrel then, get a taller front sight.
I felt sick when you said that

Just checked, seems ok it's a bit hard to judge with the barrel bands though

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
So it's shooting way low...

Simplest solution is your sight picture.

Next would be, possibly, trigger control. Perhaps you're pulling your shots down?

Next make sure bore is clean and no nicks, etc., in the crown.

If it's shooting low, you need a lower front sight or a taller rear sight. I will say that there are a few different rear sight blades in different heights for a Marlin.

Next try a different ammo.

"Is it possible im not getting my eye down low enough?" Now, that's a question that raises a couple of flags to me. May I ask: do you shoot left or right handed and which of your eyes is dominant?

·
Registered
395 Posts
I too was going to say, the front sight needs to be lowered or, can be filed down some to help
ammo can be a big part as many 22 loads travel at different speeds, so a low speed round will change point of impact
any burrs on the crown of the barrel can effect where a bullet goes to as it leaves the barrel
how long have you been shooting? Form can be a part of shooting and point of aim, its the first step in shooting, you need good form, then tirgger control, pulling a shot based on how you actually pull the trigger can effect where bullets land too
many folks don't know what eye is truely there domintant eye too
which can play hell on shooting well
sicgts can always be adjusted and made to work for you and what ever load you want by a good gun smith too
BUT factory sights should get you on target too
you could also contact marlin too, if gun was never messed with(sights changed)
good luck

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So it's shooting way low...

Simplest solution is your sight picture.

Next would be, possibly, trigger control. Perhaps you're pulling your shots down?

Next make sure bore is clean and no nicks, etc., in the crown.

If it's shooting low, you need a lower front sight or a taller rear sight. I will say that there are a few different rear sight blades in different heights for a Marlin.

Next try a different ammo.

"Is it possible im not getting my eye down low enough?" Now, that's a question that raises a couple of flags to me. May I ask: do you shoot left or right handed and which of your eyes is dominant?
I shoot right handed and I'm right eye dominate,
I go back tomorrow and take the hood off,
I got a guy in the next lane to have ago and he was hitting low aswell,
Bloody frustrating because I really like the gun and it shoots real straight.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll get a gunsmith to take a look at the crown tomorrow,
It doesn't look as smooth as my others
Looks like there might be a bit of a lip on it,
And I'll get him to make sure the barrel isn't bent.
Thanks for your help comrades

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Lower front sigh is one possible fix.
Check crown as mentioned, and also move back further from target and see what you get. That 15 meters seems awful close and the bullet hasn't even had a chance to rise any...

Good Luck
BloodGroove4570

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Im back and iv changed my tune,
What rings and scope would you guys recommend for the little 94? Im not a fan of red dots and would like as small a scope as possible.
This thing shoots real straight and groups well, just darn low.
Cheers ****

·
Registered
849 Posts
1) take some tape and cover the front 6" of yer barrel
2) take a new file, and knock the top of yer front sight down a bunch. leave it higher in the back
3) take a spot-bluing pen and re-blue the top
4) repeat 2) and 3) as needed
5) enjoy!
chances are the first owner used a tang or receiver sight, and had to install a taller front sight to make it work. happens a lot; had to do that on half of my leverguns er better.
mind yer topknot!
windy

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well, you might have someone else shoot the rifle to see if the results are similar. I shoot my 94/22 with the bead buried in the small v, and the point of impact is on the very top of the bead. I have a ramped front sight with a dovetail for the front sight insert. Your sight height will be from the base of the dovetail to the top of the sight. You need to know this measurement in inches. You need to know the distance to the target(in), distance between your sights(in), and how low you are(in). Lets say you are 6" low at 50yds and the distance between the front and rear sights is 24" . Everything is done in inches. 6x24 divided by 50x36= .080" So, in this case you would get a front sight insert that is .080" lower than what you already have. Lyman sells sights for around $12 that come in various heights that slip into the dovetail on the ramp. Anyway, know the measurements, and give Lyman a call, and I am sure there is someone that will have the answer you are looking for...............Art

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Lower front sigh is one possible fix.
Check crown as mentioned, and also move back further from target and see what you get. That 15 meters seems awful close and the bullet hasn't even had a chance to rise any...

Good Luck
BloodGroove4570
I would vote twice on that. Factory sights are designed hight wise to be "zeroed" at 100 yards or so, The 22 mag is a "flat" shooter, and isnt even to mid range at 15 meters, thus it would print on the paper "low".

Simply have the smith switch the front sight to a lower one, if close range shooting is your typical shot. It then may shoot "too high" on longer shots.

Any gun smith worth the title, should savvy all that.

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
11,361 Posts
If you remove the bolt and look through the bore from the breach, if its bent it will be WAY obvious. The human eye, even untrained, looking down a small diameter hole can easily pick up a defect of a very few thousandths of an inch. AC

1 - 16 of 16 Posts