Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what Optics on lever guns look elegant and sleek on a lever gun enhancing its overall look rather than detract from it?

I think optics with a smaller objective diameter but is bigger than the tube looks pretty sleek i.e a 2-7x33 optic from leupold for example.

Whats your thoughts?

·
Registered
253 Posts
I looked at the 2x7 from Leupold but I wanted a vintage Marling scope on my old Levermatic I just recently picked up. I found a really nice Marlin Micro-View 4x scope that I have mounted. They look great together! I like the older 3/4 inch tube scopes on my older Marlins. Just something about that combination.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
My own opinion is that a scope on a lever gun is akin to a beard on a beautiful woman....

I do have one on my 39A but would NEVER put a scope on a 94, 95, or 335....

Just wait till your eyes get some age onem..... I said the same thing at one time lol

·
Super Moderator
26,086 Posts
I have used 2.5X/4X/1-4X/2-7X scopes on my Marlins depending on the model. All of them fit the levergun profile very well without altering the handling characteristics of the rifle.

·
Super Moderator
26,086 Posts
I have a couple of old weavers that look good.

View attachment 872472

This is a Weaver K2
I really like the old Weavers but had to take most of them off my Marlins. My old man's eye vision issues couldn't deal with the narrow cross hairs anymore. :mad:

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
@Ret_Eng that is a bummer and sorry to hear. I get a little giggle at all of the youngsters who will never scope their lever guns. Someday they will want to shoot them vice leaving them in the safe.

·
Super Moderator
26,086 Posts
@Ret_Eng that is a bummer and sorry to hear. I get a little giggle at all of the youngsters who will never scope their lever guns. Someday they will want to shoot them vice leaving them in the safe.
When I had to start wearing tri-focal glasses a few years ago, I knew my peep sight Marlin days were over. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Maineiac

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
I do like the looks of my 2-7 33 VXR on my XLR

Musical instrument Automotive exterior Gun accessory Auto part Metal

It is a little on the bigish side, but works wonderfully. My next scope on a lever will most likely be smaller.

·
Super Moderator
26,086 Posts
I do like the looks of my 2-7 33 VXR on my XLR

View attachment 872481

It is a little on the bigish side, but works wonderfully. My scope on a lever will most likely be smaller.
Wood Air gun Chainsaw Shotgun Trigger

Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Tool Chainsaw

I have a 1970s 2-7X32mm Redfield Tracker on my 444XLR. I use a 2-7X33mm Redfield Revolution (made by Leupold) on my 35 Rem 336XLR. Both scopes fit the XLR series perfectly.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Just wait till your eyes get some age onem..... I said the same thing at one time lol
YUP 👍

As to the OP's question, I way prefer a scope with no objective bell on a lever gun. Some like 2.5x and they are nice, but I prefer the ones I have in 1-4 or 1-5 on mine. Like these:

Air gun Trigger Bicycle part Gun barrel Gun accessory
Wood Shotgun Gun barrel Gas Air gun
Plant Wood Grass Gas Cone
Wood Shotgun Art Armrest Metal
Textile Sleeve Wood Pattern Natural material
Furniture Chair Wood Armrest Comfort
Furniture Purple Product Chair Wood

The lone exception is a BLR in .325WSM a very accurate rifle in a very capable long range cartridge. It's wearing a Leupold VX-R 2-7x33.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Gonna upset some people. The various 2.5, 1x4 or 1x5s with the straight scope tube, none flared objective lens is what looks best, a 2x7 ultra light/compact from Leupold looks good as well, keep them short/light and minimize objective diameter.. All should be mounted low. A black matte finish scope can look good on a matte finished stainless rifle, IMO a gloss blued Marlin rifle needs a glossed scope to match...these days that requires buying a used scope, since gloss blue/black scope finishes disappeared some years back.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts