Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
N.W. Montana is having a very berry good year. I picked about 7lbs of Elderberries this morning from my secret location and have my 8 Liters of wine started.

I bought the equipement a month ago and the chems showed up recently. I'm boldly going where I've never gone before.

Now I've toured Wine brewers vinyards (Napa Valley) before and it's serious business and expensive to do right and do big. It will be interesting to see what I can do in a 5 gallon bucket, a packet of yeast, some sugar and berries stuffed and tied in some cheap nylon pantyhose. :)

Can anybody share encouraging experiences?

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Been a long time since I had elderberry wine. Used to be a feller that made it and a few others not far from where I was raised. He also raised hogs too. One stop shopping for your weekend. :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Picked Tons of Blackberries this Year. Actually just 20lbs. But it Seemed Like Tons.
Put Up 7 Gal of Blackberry Wine Every Year. Lot easier this year w/ So Many Berries.
6gal Bucket w/Lid & Airlock, 15lb Blackberries, 5lb Sugar, Water, Wine Nutrient & Wine Yeast.
Mix'er All up & Set for 10 Days. Siphon Off Lees (Sludge) into 7 Gal Glass Carboy (Big A Jug).
Add 3lbs Sugar & 1Gal Fresh Squeezed Blackberry Juice. Cork w/ Airlock & Set for 1 Month.
Rack into 5 Gal Plastic or Glass Carboy. Add 1qt Blackberry Juice Cap w/ Airlock for 2 Months.
Rack (Siphon) Into 1 gal Glass Jugs & Swap In & Out of Refrig for Next Month.
Rack Into 1ltr or 1Qt Bottles Cap or Cork Tightly & Age someplace Dark for One More Month.
Start in Late July Serve it Up for Thanksgiving & Christmas Holidays.
Been Doin' It Every Year for the Last 3yrs. Kinda a Family Tradition Now.
Great Stuff Too! 12% ABV & Tastes Like Blackberries!
Good Luck & I think You'll be Pleasantly Surprised.
UncleSarge58

Reactions: montanaMarlin336

·
Banned
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Sarge. Similar steps I'm following. I might get a second lot going with huckleberries. I have another month to go before fall bear season. This seems a good use of my waiting time. :)

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Sounds overly complicated for wine making. My mom, grandma and grandpa always made wine of various types and never used anything more complicated than a ceramic crock, bottles and some balloons. Yeast was just the regular bread type in a cake (not the dry type in an envelope) and normal sugar.

Always turned out great. Last time I was home I opened a bottle of cherry wine that was probably 30 years old and it was real good. Almost a cross between sherry and port. Mom often made elderberry wine but also dandelion, blackberry, potato and even champagne. I always liked the potato and the dandelion a lot. My favorite though was my grandpa's hard cider or "Apple jack" as we called it. My brother and a buddy of his make it now and it has earned a new name. Now it is called "Apple wobble" for reasons that are not hard to figure out. Really good stuff!

Reactions: montanaMarlin336

·
Registered
7,301 Posts
Drink some while watching "Arsenic and Old Lace".

Reactions: Catherine

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Elderberry tincture and cough syrup would be a good thing to make too.

You can look it up online. Google will give you the best results even though a lot of people don't use or like Google.

I have never made elderberry tincture, syrup or wine. I have met people online and in person who spoke about it though. They swear by it when it comes to their GOOD health as they do when it comes to their daily vitamins/minerals supplement.

Some take it (Tincture or syrup.) when they first begin to feel poorly and stop it when they feel better. Some take it on a daily basis. It depends on the individual.

Cate

·
Banned
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did a 2nd racking today, and it's coming along. After the 1st racking, I did a finger tip taste test and thought (1) that I was tasting puke, and (2) that I was going to puke. 2nd racking and it's still not drinkable (didn't expect it to be), but the taste is not nearly as foul tasting. Still lot's yeast must being generated, and I'm certain that is what is so awful. I'm guessing one more racking in a months time, then another month and maybe start bottling the wine.

If this turns out good, and I'm optimistic, I'm going to triple my efforts next year. With some loses from racking and must waste, there's still 7 gallons or so of liquid.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
^^^

Good luck to you. I never made it myself as I stated in my one post to you.

I have some tincture (Elderberry Liquid Extract - Wellness brand name.) from the Good Food Store here in town.

I put a little bit of it in cold water if I feel as if I need some. I have put boiled water and some tincture in a big coffee mug when I was feeling poorly in the past too. I rarely use it but it is HERE and MM thinks that it helps him if he is feeling poorly or if his HIGH SECURITY - CLOSED UP - DOORS LOCKED OFFICE PEOPLE GET SICK! Ugh.

It does NOT taste like Kosher Blackberry wine - plain and put in a small glass or into hot water if you take that for a bad cold, fever, etc.

Cate

·
Banned
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
^^^

Good luck to you. I never made it myself as I stated in my one post to you.
Looks like the fermenting is coming to an end. Very little Yeast poop is now forming on the top surface. I guess this next month's wait is to let the setiment drop to the bottom and hopefully get clarity in the liquid. If the taste is acceptable, I'll bottle. If not another month before bottling.

I've got one buyer already, if it is good. If it is really good, I'm not selling any of it. :) Online Elderberry wine goes for $20 for a standard bottle size.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Yes, it is expensive even if you buy it in person. We got ours from the Good Food store some time ago and they are still good. We bought several bottles on sale and we keep them in a cool place - pantry.

Take care.

Cate

·
Banned
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I bottled up all the wine yesterday. 16 Magnum bottles, 1 std bottle and a partial fill of a spagetti jar. The wine came out a bit dry and tart for my taste, but I did a small sample test and found that just about 10 teaspoons of sugar to 1.5L of wine gets the taste to where I like it. It's going to sit till spring, and if time doesn't improve the taste I'm going to be reworking the corker and get this all set for some spring weather sipping. :D

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts