Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Marlin Cowboy in .45 ejects toward the front when I'm shooting in a cowboy match. Was wondering if anyone knows how to make them come oput to the side. Going forward causes lots of lost brass.

Thanks,
Saguaro

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Not sure, but you could alter the point at which the ejector contacts the case, maybe later in the stroke? Seems like reshaping the ejector contact angle would change the direction it flings the brass. Just have to play with it. Worst case, you would have to buy a new ejector.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Guys and thanks for the replies. I'm in Illinois and use Saguaro Kid as my SASS Alias. I'm not sure how to adjust the the anlge. Maybe bring the angle towards the rear? Have to check and see what it looks like now. Thanks for the idea.

Saguaro

·
Registered
567 Posts
Hey Doc,

I'm thinkin that if you modify the ejector to contact the case later in the stroke, it will interfere with the round on the carrier. And ifn your running your rifle fast, that empty needs to get out of the port area in order for the next round to move up on the carrier without any interference.

As soon as I get time, I'm gona experiment with moving the ejector forward just alittle to see if that will enhance a rearward ejection of empty brass.

Others:
With some success, I've managed to get a couple Marlins in .38 to eject at 90 degrees from the port and not forward. It all had to do with how close the purtruding portion of the ejector (the part that extends beyond the 'hump') was to the side of the case when the rim made contact with the 'hump'.

From the two I've worked on, I deepened the channel in the bolt area that slides back and forth over the ejector and allowed just alittle more of the rim to make contact with the ejector 'hump'. This also put the forward portion of the ejector real close to the case and was useful in helping to flip the case at 90 degrees.

I also slightly (very slightly) angled the stopping edge of the hump backwards. When I say 'slightly', I mean its hardly noticable.

I haven't experimented with this technique enough to say it will work for you so proceed with caution and make sure you have an extra ejector available just in case this don't work for you.

Good luck.

..........Widder

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Widder, lots of info to process. I was watching a guy at my last shoot running a .38 cal pretty fast and they all came out the side. Wonder if it's the caliber? Sounds like it's not a simple fix but something to work at over time.

SK

1 - 6 of 6 Posts