Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Guys,

I'm (sadly) pretty dang ignorant when it comes to fancy iron sights and peep sights.

I've got a 39A that I've had since I was a kid and am interested in putting the most accurate set of irons possible up top. I think that would be a peep sight solution of some sort, right?

When searching online for peeps, is there any difference in rimfire vs. centerfire/high-power sights that I need to be aware of?

Apologies for my ignorance. Would definitely appreciate your guys' sage advice!

EDIT: And, crap. Looks like I totally biffed where I posted this. Any mods able to move it to the appropriate location? Talk about egg on my face, eh?

·
Premium Member
2,442 Posts
Will... welcome to the forum... I don't think you will be disappointed going with peep sights... and there are several good ones out there... the answer to which one is the tough part... all depends on how you will use it... if you will be shooting pretty much the same ammo and need little adjustment, th Skinner sights look to be top notch... I don't have a skinners yet, but a set is high on my list and they come highly recommended by the good folks here... check out the Skinner sight section in the site sponsors forum...

I use a Williams FP with target knobs as I shoot different loads and wanted quick adjustment at the range...

as far as difference between rimfire and center fire, yes and no... pick the set made for your rifle...

you will probably need a different front sight... The Skinner's section and Skinners Sights have good information on picking what will work..

Enjoy!

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
I use both, I have the factory peep sight on my marllin 80 dl and ordinary sights on my other marlin. the peep sights are much more accurate, but not as good in dim light. none of my siolhouette pistols had a peep sight, peeps seem to work better near the eye, than out at arms length.
see if yhou can borrow one with the kind of sights you want to get at the range sometime, and see if it works for you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Appreciate the feedback, guys. This gun isn't used for anything more than casual plinking and having fun, so it looks like the Skinner rear might be a good match.

Is there any benefit in replacing the front?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Appreciate the feedback, guys. This gun isn't used for anything more than casual plinking and having fun, so it looks like the Skinner rear might be a good match.

Is there any benefit in replacing the front?
The Skinner is a fine sight, as are the Williams, Lyman, Redfield etc. that you might find. The only real reason to swap out the front sight would be if you want a fiber optic sight or you need to change the height in order to move the point of impact.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just installed my Skinner Express site on my 1895CB. The complete transaction from skinner was the best, the site is awesome great machine work, documentation just everything regarding this purchase was outstanding - now if only the weather would cooperate to get out there and shoot.......

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
Never tried a Skinner - I don't use my 39A for hunting - Shooting silhouette only. I have a Williams with target knobs and a hooded front sight. Works well, looks good, easy to install.
Michael

·
Registered
14 Posts
The Skinner sights are amazing. i have the "alaskan" because i like the look of the full length of the receiver. I just ordered a .040 peep for it and can't wait to try it out on 200 yards.

·
Super Moderator
12,333 Posts
No worries. I thought about moving your thread to the Optics forum but since your question is specific to the 39A I thought it might get more replies here...

I have used various brands of peep sights but the Weaver TK and the Skinner are my favorites. Regardless of what you choose I think a good set of peeps gives you the ability to shoot to your full potential.

·
Premium Member
12,139 Posts
Skinner is a "johnny come lately" compared to Lyman and Williams, both of which offer some advantages.

But Skinner is good too.

Yes, a peep sight is typically far more accurate than just using open "buckhorn" sights and the like. Can be very fast too.

Regards, Guy

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
For those wanting to hunt with a peep sight be warned that a peep sight will black out when your standing in the light, and your target is back on a dark background... For instance your in the sun lit open, and see a squirrel along the treeline, chances are when you try to sight the squirrel all you will see is black.

·
Premium Member
12,139 Posts
For those wanting to hunt with a peep sight be warned that a peep sight will black out when your standing in the light, and your target is back on a dark background... For instance your in the sun lit open, and see a squirrel along the treeline, chances are when you try to sight the squirrel all you will see is black.
Huh. Never had that happen. Too tight an aperture?

Guy

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
The older I get the the bigger the apertures need to be. Always have to buy a new drill bit occasionally as they just do not make largest enough ones from the factory.

I did just put a Lyman 66MD Receiver mounted peep sight on my new Levermatic Model 56..Love it.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
The older I get the the bigger the apertures need to be. Always have to buy a new drill bit occasionally as they just do not make largest enough ones from the factory.

I did just put a Lyman 66MD Receiver mounted peep sight on my new Levermatic Model 56..Love it.
The one on my 60 is microscopic. I find it limits field of view, but it doesn't look dark unless I don't line my eye up right. hooded front through rear peep.jpg rear sight.jpg tiny peep.jpg

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Huh. Never had that happen. Too tight an aperture?

Guy
Had this happen several times already, sun to my back, treeline in front of me trying to kill a squirrel and all you see is black until the squirrel steps into a lighted spot. I shoot mostly with the factory insert... but also use just the ghost ring type setup (no aperture) when walking/hunting.

I have used peep sights all my life also, but mostly on paper/target shooting. I have hunted with a Browning model 71 with peeps, and several other rimfires... It may be this one particular spot/combination that's ripe for blacking out peep sights... and to add onto that it's where the squirrels make a line for the house as well.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Had this happen several times already, sun to my back, treeline in front of me trying to kill a squirrel and all you see is black until the squirrel steps into a lighted spot. I shoot mostly with the factory insert... but also use just the ghost ring type setup (no aperture) when walking/hunting.

I have used peep sights all my life also, but mostly on paper/target shooting. I have hunted with a Browning model 71 with peeps, and several other rimfires... It may be this one particular spot/combination that's ripe for blacking out peep sights... and to add onto that it's where the squirrels make a line for the house as well.
Squirrel magic...

My squirrels have been known to cause duds in low-grade ammo, sneezes when I'm about to pull the trigger and the dreaded "Plague-of-the-kitchen-table-stole-my-ammo".

That particular plague has been known to spread to lunches, fishing licenses, tackle boxes, pocket knives, magazines (so you're hunting with a REALLY inconvenient single-shot all day) etc..

Reactions: erimort and rclint
1 - 20 of 20 Posts