Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the maximum distance you guys are comfortable with for an 1894c with the Skinner Express sight? I couldn't hit diddly (and he wasn't even moving) at 150 yards. I'm guessing 100 yards and in would be more in the ballpark for a peep sight?

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
For a deer I'm comfy with peeps at 100. I have shot a nice buck at 125 but held on his back above the kill zone, bullet passed all the way through.

I figure the best way to check is first shoot at a target that resembles the kill zone size, I use a common paper plate around 8 inches.

Then depending on how you want to shoot to simulate the woods to hit it. Using cross sticks or some sort of aide to steady your gun is the best bet.

If your irons are fuzzy it may be time to upgrade to a wider front sight with an 1/8th inch blade or maybe a little larger.

The flat Patridge style sight is a good example and Skinner in our industry partners section sells a tall one you can file in that I recommend.

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there John -- I think you can set up a Skinner to be effective at almost any distance. Here is a post of mine where we were shooting a Skinner mounted on a Mountie at 400 yards. http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,89778.0.html That required some hold-over, but that was just because I had previously set the sights up to zero at 50 yards. Get a front sight mounted along with your Skinner rear, and file the combination to fit the yardage to your desired zero. Even with the short barreled "C" I would think you could set it up for a 150 yard zero. Then it would be a matter of figuring out the hold-over and hold-under with the ammunition of choice. I was doing some testing of his prototype ladder sight and the first shots with my existing front sight proved to be a 300 yard zero!! Needed to increase the front sight height to get it back down to 50 yards. Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the great info, guys. Looks like you both agree on the front sight, so that's where I'm heading.

Just another confirmation on what a great resource this forum is. Great community!

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
If you look at the trajectory diagrams for either .44 or .357, the bullets really start dropping after about 125 yards or so with just about any ammo. Doesn't mean you can't hit at longer ranges, but you're going to have to learn how to hold over for the longer ranges and accurately guess the range. Practice! I usually hold off firing until the critter is at least 100 yards away or less. Not so hard to do when that's about all the farther you can see in the woods from a stand.

Stan S.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I have used my 1894 44 mag and my 1894C 357 mag for CLA center fire,Rams at 200 meters.I've scored in the low 30's out of 40.It just takes pratice.
Last week I shot 30 rounds at a paper ram out of my 44 mag loaded with 200 gr.cast bullets at 1398 FPS,75 clicks between the pigs at 100 and the rams at 200 on my Williams FP.Hit it 24 out of 30 off hand.You will be surprisd at how much you shooting will improve with regular pratice.The bench is for zeroing,pratice off hand.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Peep sight is accurate to just about whatever range you can see. Problem is that some of us don't see things as well and our eyes do not really work like others eyes do. The peep is supposed to be a self centering sight that the brain centers the front sight, all you do is look through the aperature and put the front site on the target. Nice theory but it doesn't work that way for every body. The military has long known that cerian individuals under stress and in a hurry will pull the front site down under the target to see the whole target. In some literature its known as the battle site, and troops are instructed to site thier rifles in to adjust to it, and adjust the site itself for slower shooting.

When I was 12, I could go the the range and shoot 3" groups with a worn out 303 British rifle with a williams peep on it. Out in the real world I kept shooting under deer. In a hurry I was pulling the site down under the chest. Didn't know I was doing it, and even know 40 years later I have to think in the field.

If you have this problem it is greatly exagerated with the use of a straight wide flat post. I have an article about shooting in military rifle competions where they require iron sights (offhand) at ranges where most people can't perform with a scope from a bench, that recommens filing the end of a post sight round or to a point to help with the problem.

Personally I find that I shoot best with the smallest aperature I can see through given the lighting contions and a 1/16" brass bead. Others hate this arrangemet and most people probably prefer the standard flat top post.

I can usually hit a 12" circle at 600 yards with my M-1 garand and the military peep and post. 1" to 1-1/2" at 100 yards from a bench. I can easily do 2" with my 357 CB and I haven't tried to find an accurate load for it.

Try different posts and different aperatures. Many people find that tang sites allow them to get really close to a small aperature which usually results in better accuracy and allows you to use the smaller aperature in low light conditions.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
My gage for effective shooting distance is the smaller dessert paper plate. As long as you can put 3 shots into it, not on the bench, but field shooting (stand, sticks, side of tree, off hand) you are good. If you can't put 3 in a row into it, move closer.

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
FredT said:
My gage for effective shooting distance is the smaller dessert paper plate. As long as you can put 3 shots into it, not on the bench, but field shooting (stand, sticks, side of tree, off hand) you are good. If you can't put 3 in a row into it, move closer.
I keep moving closer, but I can't keep from setting the plates on fire! ;D

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Halwg said:
I keep moving closer, but I can't keep from setting the plates on fire! ;D
Soak them in water first or just go out to the range in all of this rain we have been getting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts