Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious which rifle would you choose for hunting deer in the occasional black bears if I were drawn at tag. They are both very good rounds, 45 Colt would have a whole lot more penetration first the 357 I would gather.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I would think the 45 would have a bit of an edge , heavier bullet.
But I can't say for sure as I have neither and am looking for both ( 24" octagon barrel of course )
BoB

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Within its limitations, the 357 is fine for deer. I'm sure it would work on bear, but there are much better choices. The 45 Colt when loaded in higher pressure loads is no slouch. I can shoot the 357 farther more accurately. If given a choice, I would choose something else...

To take advantage of either, it sure helps if you reload.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Depends on what you are hunting.
I really like the 357 Mag round it shoots pretty flat and the power is good.
I wouldn't use it to take out a deer at 150 yards tho.
I also wouldn't use it to take out a bear unless I had no choice and it was
pretty darn close to me.

A 44 mag is 1/3rd more powerful than a 357 Mag and unless you need a
pistol cartridge use a rifle cartridge. 30-30 Win, 35 Remington, 444 marlin,
45-70 Govt.
All when loaded properly will take whatever game you like.

The 357 Mag is sure fun to shoot tho.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
Well trapper your are right both are fine rounds. The 45colt can be loaded quite stout with 300gr pills and will probably take any game you point it at. The 357 is hoot to plink with and very effective on Deer sized game, not sure I'd try it on a Bear though. If those are the only two rounds you are choosing from I'd have to say the 45colt IMHO. If the sky is the limit well then give me a 45-70 loaded with 405gr hard cast at about 1500fps should punch right through a Deer or Bear quite nicely and do minimal damage to the meat, again just my humble opinion.
JB

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
If you handload the 45 is the obvious answer, it can be loaded pretty hot.You shouldn't have any trouble getting 1200 FPS or better with a 300 gr round out of a rifle, that's going to hit pretty hard.
I have a .357 and while I have no trouble taking it deer hunting I'd be reluctant to go after a bear with it, unless I had no choice.
Then again, which rifle do you shoot better? All the power in the world is useless if you miss, or don't have confidence in your ability to hit with it.
GH1:)

·
Premium Member
7,693 Posts
If you handload the 45 is the obvious answer, it can be loaded pretty hot.You shouldn't have any trouble getting 1200 FPS or better with a 300 gr round out of a rifle, that's going to hit pretty hard.
I have a .357 and while I have no trouble taking it deer hunting I'd be reluctant to go after a bear with it, unless I had no choice.
Then again, which rifle do you shoot better? All the power in the world is useless if you miss, or don't have confidence in your ability to hit with it.
GH1:)

1200fps? Here is A load for bears. 300 grain WFN/LBT /H110 32,500 CUP 1705 fps. I deleted the charge weight. as it was slightly higher than I have tried personally. A .357 does not even come close to this power level. Go with the .45.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would think the 45 would have a bit of an edge , heavier bullet.
But I can't say for sure as I have neither and am looking for both ( 24" octagon barrel of course )
BoB
I was even thinking about getting a 454 Casull lever action. Then I could have the best of both worlds 45 Colt and 454.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1200fps? Here is A load for bears. 300 grain WFN/LBT /H110 32,500 CUP 1705 fps. I deleted the charge weight. as it was slightly higher than I have tried personally. A .357 does not even come close to this power level. Go with the .45.
I found two 1894 45 Colt cowboy action and both for sale. With the Octagon and long barrel seem pretty heavy but I would gather they could hold one heck of a charge due to the weight back on the recoil.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Rossi ( model 92 ) is ( or was ) avail in 454, but not the 94 Marlin. I have read that the Marlin won't handle the higher pressure. I have also read that the 45 Colt can be " hot rodded " very close to the 454. Also some are taking 454 Brass , trimming to 45 Colt length for hotter loads.
Decisions, decisions.
The 357 (38spcl ) would no doubt be a fun gun and great for deer. Bear tho.... ?? I would want a bit more " umph " just depends on what your gonna expect out of it.
BoB

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Really rossi handels more then a Marlin :shot:

Tell me it's not so:ahhhhh:

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Supposedly the lockup on the 1892 design is stronger than the 1894.
This is also what I have heard from various sources.

Reactions: dpe.ahoy

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Got my first 1894.357 a few years ago and started reloading for it. I'm very good shot with them and have not had the needed to use my larger caliber rifles since. For the game we have in Missouri, there isn't really any need for anything bigger, most game can be taken with a 22lr.

Reactions: kybob

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I have a big shoot to go to today but that looks like a good article so I'm bookmarking it to
read later.
Very few companies make 1892's, I know Rossi, Winchester and Cimarron do.
Uberti doesn't.

·
Premium Member
7,693 Posts
I have a big shoot to go to today but that looks like a good article so I'm bookmarking it to
read later.
Very few companies make 1892's, I know Rossi, Winchester and Cimarron do.
Uberti doesn't.
Chiappa makes them The ones I have seen look good. Have not shot one. yet

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I believe Cimarron imports for Chiappa.
I'd like to see one of those up close but Chiappa is worse than Rossi for
parts and repair. :ahhhhh:

·
Registered
34 Posts
45 Colt guns.

A few things to think about if you are including Henry in your look for a .45 Colt, they have a limitation on the size of bullet at 270-grains. You have to call them or email them to get that information (my email and their response is attached View attachment 270 grain bullets max.pdf View attachment COL.pdf ).
It has to do with bullet length, which is restricted because they just used the .357Mag mechanics which is a slightly shorter COL than a .45 Colt with with bigger bullets.

As for loads, if you haven't looked, most of the loading manuals have two sections for the .45 Colt rifle (and handgun) with one for older ("SAA and Replicas) firearms and one for "newer" (T/C, Encore, and Ruger) firearms. The Sierra manual shows loads for "Winchester and Marlin 45 Colt" in the rifle section. I'm up on this because I'm trying to work up a .45 Colt that will work in Ruger New Model Blackhawk 6" revolver and the Henry (should have gotten a Marlin). I have a friend that shoots the Rossi Pump which doesn't have the restriction like the Henry.

Hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Supposedly the lockup on the 1892 design is stronger than the 1894.
This is also what I have heard from various sources.
This is my understanding as well, and would explain why Rossi offers a .454 Casull, and Marlin does not. (In the 1894 model).

1 - 20 of 44 Posts