Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

· Premium Member
17,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep. They're out there, and they're selling. :eek:

I've seen a couple already, and my gun pusher's son brought one to the range last week. Apparently he has a serious cash (over)flow problem, he paid something north of $700 for this thing, and hasn't realized his mistake yet. Maybe he likes it, or maybe he's just drawn to weird guns. This one surely fits that category!

Homely little sucker, isn't it?

I wanted very badly to dislike it, to find something inherently WRONG with it, aside from the appearance, which even the maker admits is enough to frighten small children and the faint of brain. (i. e. Liberals) But I picked it up and examined it, and yes, it's just about as different as it can be, and still be a revolver. The cylinder is thin, unfluted and hexagonal, the hammer drops down to the frame after you cock it, and the grip looks like something Mattel threw away. But if you can disregard its appearance (I tried, but it was difficult) it's still a handgun, and therefore I decided to go ahead and shoot it. I'd brought my duty weapon to shoot that day, along with a 20-pound ammo can of HOT 38 Special ammo, so I pushed the weird latch and opened the cylinder, then proceeded to stuff the cylinder full of ammo and took aim at a soda can laying in the dirt 64 yards away. Six shots bounced the can four times, and I started forgetting what it looked like, and focused more on what it was capable of. The sights aren't bad at all, black and clear, and it was close to dialed in at the range I happened to be shooting at.

Everyone there had to try it, and my ammo stash was seriously depleted by the time we got tired of shooting it. The better shooters hit a lot of cans, even at that distance, and once you got used to the weird (stagey) trigger, it wasn't that hard to shoot well. Most of us made good hits when we used the sights, and despite our constant comments about how weird/ugly it was, we kept shooting it until it was pretty hot.

I'm a traditional revolver guy, always have been, and I view it kind of like I do a Glock, or any plastic gun. This one is alloy, not polymer, and the grip feels better than I expected. If you can get past the appearance, it works and shoots just like any other revolver.........but it's still bufugly as all git-out. Or did I say that already?

Back in the late 80's there was a revolver called the "Mateba" that used the same design with the barrel mounted low, and it shot from the bottom of the cylinder, like this one does. The claim was made that with a lower bore axis, muzzle jump is seriously reduced, because the impetus is directed straight back into the web of the hand. It's true. We were shooting some major-league 38+P ammo, my standard practice load for my S&W M-64 HB, and muzzle rise was significantly less than with my heavy-barreled duty gun.

I didn't have any 357 ammo with me, and didn't get to shoot the gun with anything hotter than what I'd brought, but I'm told that in a gun of this size and weight (kinda light, because of the skinny cylinder and alloy frame) shooting full-power 357's isn't real pleasant. I believe it. Even with less muzzle flip, you have to hang on pretty tight to the gun, and the web of one's hand is going to get pounded pretty hard. But if you shoot ANY semi-lightweight gun with full-house 357's, you're surely going to know when it goes off. As with any other revolver, a high grip is a good idea. The higher the better, and the Rhino lets you get your hand plenty high.

Attached is a video of my 130-pound son shooting the thing with the +P 38 ammo I had on hand. Muzzle rise is noticeably undisplayed.

I have to admit that even though I was trying hard not to enjoy shooting it, it's still a handgun, and I enjoy shooting most of them. Kinda like a Glock, I shoot them well but will NEVER own one. They go bang, they are useful, but the aesthetics are horribly absent, and all I can say about this gun is that it works as advertised. It's weird, ugly and different, but it's not better, in ANY regard. If you have too much money, want something new and unique, go ahead and buy one. It certainly draws a crowd at the range, at least with those who've never seen or handled one.

As for me, I'll stick with the traditional stuff. In my very humble opinion, the revolver didn't need "upgrading". 8)

· Registered
2,347 Posts
I so can't (and never will) get over the looks of it. First time I saw it on the cover of a gun magazine I about lost my lunch! :-X I actually have no desire to even shoot one. I totally agree with papajohn in that the revolver doesn't need "upgrading". ;D

· Registered
1,826 Posts
Yes, that thing is fugly.............but everybody needs an oddity to add to their collection. ;D Good to hear it shoots well; at least it has that going for it.

· Registered
1,583 Posts
Not for me.

But good video and a good, fair review of the thing.... reminds me of the Volkswagen Thing now... anyway.

The revolver didn't need someone to rethink it.

So what's next? Instead of laser sights- strobe lights that blind and confuse so you don't have to shoot them? Built in warnings- a recorded voice that warns the perpetrator that you have them covered and that they should not move?

Thanks for shooting it so I don't have to....

M

· Super Moderator
19,160 Posts
papajohn That thing so ugly it would kill a burglar if he was the only one in the room :)

· Premium Member
17,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
NailGun said:
you could name it michelle........
He calls it Chewbacca. ;)

And yes, you COULD shoot an annoying purple dinosaur with it at 50 yards. But it would be a toss-up as to which one is less attractive. :p

· Premium Member
5,303 Posts
Maudite said:
Thanks for shooting it so I don't have to....
Yeah, PJ...thanks for diving on the grenade for us.

But damn!...did you have to post a picture? :p Just like a bad song, that image will be with me all day. :(

I need something to wash that taste outa my eyes...

$700! :eek: These two didn't cost $700 combined. And what's with the emblem in front of the cylinder? Looks like some sort of Pac-Maniac. ::)

Life's too short to put up with ugly handguns.

Roe

· Premium Member
3,391 Posts
I think my retinas are seared... :eek:

I call things like that The Limburger Cheese Syndrome... something different just to be different. (Kind of like the .41Mag and the .348WCF... I guess we all have our own Limburger cheese... ;D )

· Premium Member
17,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Barenjager said:
And what's with the emblem in front of the cylinder? Looks like some sort of Pac-Maniac. ::)
That's the first thing I thought of too. It took me awhile to see the Rhino.

Roe...........I don't mind that you posted nice pictures of those two M-66's, but do you constantly have to rub it in about how you find smoking deals on nice guns?

Oh yeah...........I forgot. You're a JERK. Never mind. ::)

· Premium Member
5,303 Posts
papajohn said:
Oh yeah...........I forgot. You're a JERK.
I'm the jerk? First he does a story and posts pics of an RG...now this thing. And he calls me a jerk! ::)

papajohn said:
Roe...........I don't mind that you posted nice pictures of those two M-66's, but do you constantly have to rub it in about how you find smoking deals on nice guns?
I'm not rubbing it in. I'm simply putting the exorbitant purchase price of that...thing...in perspective. 8)

papajohn said:
It took me awhile to see the Rhino.
I'll take your word for it, PJ. Last thing I want to do is gaze upon that image again. :-X

Roe

· Premium Member
2,560 Posts
Barenjager said:
I'm the jerk? First he does a story and posts pics of an RG...now this thing. And he calls me a jerk! ::)

I'm not rubbing it in. I'm simply putting the exorbitant purchase price of that...thing...in perspective. 8)

I'll take your word for it, PJ. Last thing I want to do is gaze upon that image again. :-X

Roe
PJ,

I think to make Roe really happy you should post that Rhino image for posterity in the handgun pictures thread! ;) ;)

· Premium Member
12,466 Posts
I read somewhere ::) ::) the same guy that did the body styling on the Cadillac CTS, did the design of the Rhino......... ::) ::)...............Not sure what that means, though............. ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D

I also read that O'Bama is of Irish decent ?? ::) ::)................THAT, fired me up!!! :'( :'(

Tom

· Premium Member
8,086 Posts
Barenjager said:
But damn!...did you have to post a picture? :p Just like a bad song, that image will be with me all day. :(

I need something to wash that taste outa my eyes...
Papajohn,

With all the "woe is me" stuff on this thread about the sensitivity of some with delicate tummies and such, perhaps you could temporarily change your avatar to the photo of the Rhino... ;) ;D :eek:

That should really burn a lasting image in the mind's eye... ;) ;D 8) But, on theother hand, I do understand where they might be coming from. I am being nice when I say it is uh, uh... Unconventional. ;) :p

· Premium Member
5,303 Posts
Tomray said:
I read somewhere ::) ::) the same guy that did the body styling on the Cadillac CTS, did the design of the Rhino...
I haven't seen that connection, but the Rhino was designed by Emilio Ghisoni...yes, that Ghisoni...the same one who designed the now defunct Unica Model 6 made by Mateba. Both of which bear more than a passing resemblance to the equally ugly Russian Nosorog AEK. Goes to prove once again, how very few new and innovative firearms designs there really are.

DWB said:
With all the "woe is me" stuff on this thread about the sensitivity of some with delicate tummies and such, perhaps you could temporarily change your avatar to the photo of the Rhino... That should really burn a lasting image in the mind's eye...
Actually, that might be a bit of an improvement. ;D

I also hope PJ takes the opportunity to appologize to his son for that video. Once it goes "viral" and his visage is forever connected to the Rhino, a "Gee...I'm sorry!" may not be enough. ;)

Roe

· Super Moderator
19,160 Posts
P J reads this he may deny this post ever happened ;D

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.