Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove about 50 miles today to pick up a lay away (Ruger single action revolver).

On the way back took a detour to a really remote gun shop, talkin with the owner and he mentioned he had just taken two marlin cl's in, still had them behind the counter as he hadn't tagged them and put them out yet. One each 25-20 and 32-20. Fella he bought them from said he bought them new in the 80's and had never fired them, although he had mounted a Burris scope on the 25-20. I asked him how much on the 25-20 as I already have a 32-20 and he said $525.00.

I laid it away. Figure the Burris scope is worth $125.00 so a really good price on a gun that can't be told from new.

·
Premium Member
762 Posts
A man has to do what a man has to do :) I like the little out of the way gun shops.. I found some .35's and 444's that are all dusty from sitting in the racks for so long. I'm tempted to rescue them :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
00buck said:
A man has to do what a man has to do :) I like the little out of the way gun shops.. I found some .35's and 444's that are all dusty from sitting in the racks for so long. I'm tempted to rescue them :)
You only live once!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AINT NO FISH said:
olevern, man, you are buying guns like crazy!

can't help myself, no fish, this crappy economy has guns showing up for sale that three years ago would have stayed with the owner until he died, and at bargain basement prices. I am fortunate to have a pretty good retirement thru years of investments and a law enforcement pension and am in a position to accept some of these great bargains into my home (and gun safes). While I can't help pausing to reflect on the probably desparate situations many of these guns sitting on the shelves represent, someone will buy them and who better to give them a good home than I? BTW, this is also a good time to be aware of your neighbor's needs, taking a bag or two of groceries or helping with a neighbors utility bill is something Mrs. Olevern and I have done for years. Also Christmas will no doubt be upon us again before this economic mess is over, so we should give some thought to helping a family or two in dire straights have a good Christmas.

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
Hmm, exactly where is this 32/20 that you don't want? Not that I would be interested in it or anything.

Wayne

·
Registered
394 Posts
00buck said:
Shoot, I'd love to find one of those 'out of the way' gunshops, all the ones around here are doing land office business. Many of them won't take trades, selling so many new ones, ain't worth their effort I guess.

·
Registered
701 Posts
AINT NO FISH said:
olevern, man, you are buying guns like crazy!
Fish, some people here didn't hear all the horror stories about the Great Depression of the 1930s that I did. My dad wouldn't eat corn bread until he was in his 50s...they had a small farm in the Missouri hills and had corn ground for corn meal and cattle feed...got half back from the mill for the grinding. Grandpa worked on a highway project for the cash to pay the taxes and buy what little they didn't grow themselves...a man was paid $1 a day; a team of horses or mules was worth $3 a day.

There are some great bargains out there...and sometimes you pay some extra to an individual selling guns to buy groceries or gas and pay the rent and other bills. A lot of shops use the BLUE BOOK and remind me of a vulture contemplating a dying animal. I'm less than 3 years away from retirement..401K ain't doing worth a d*** so guns are a fair investment. I buy three screw RUGERS, VAQUEROS and BISLEY VAQUEROS, and straight grip MARLINS...guns I'll shoot...no real collectibles, but guns that are going upward in price.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
edk said:
Fish, some people here didn't hear all the horror stories about the Great Depression of the 1930s that I did. My dad wouldn't eat corn bread until he was in his 50s...they had a small farm in the Missouri hills and had corn ground for corn meal and cattle feed...got half back from the mill for the grinding. Grandpa worked on a highway project for the cash to pay the taxes and buy what little they didn't grow themselves...a man was paid $1 a day; a team of horses or mules was worth $3 a day.

There are some great bargains out there...and sometimes you pay some extra to an individual selling guns to buy groceries or gas and pay the rent and other bills. A lot of shops use the BLUE BOOK and remind me of a vulture contemplating a dying animal. I'm less than 3 years away from retirement..401K ain't doing worth a d*** so guns are a fair investment. I buy three screw RUGERS, VAQUEROS and BISLEY VAQUEROS, and straight grip MARLINS...guns I'll shoot...no real collectibles, but guns that are going upward in price.
edk,

My father was born in 1895 and had some stories about the great depression. He had a farm and a business (butcher shop) and still struggled. I believe that in the future you won't be able to reference the "great" depression without specifying which great depression. The worst is yet to come. I am in the process of putting up about six months non perishible foods while I can. The way disasters are happening accross the world, it is bound to come close to home eventually. All it would take is for some radical extremist to get their hands on one of the numerous compact nuke devices that are gone missing from the former Soviet union and detonate it over one of our major metropolitan areas. Future is not lookin too sporty for our children and their children. Lookin a lot like the times described in the good book of Revelations. The Good Book says when the events start flee to the hills, and even then that might not be enough. I live fifty miles from a Walmart and seventy five miles from a mall, in the montains and am thinking about how I would protect the garden and homestead in the event of a large influx of starving people fleeing the cities.

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
Couldn't agree more with Jayhawkhuntclub, except where I live there are not that many Marlins available, the odd 30-30 maybe. Used, rarely to be found. Saw a Mountie on a local gunshop's website, but they email out their new consignments, and before I could respond, some guy across the country snapped it up. $675.00. I am glad that some of you are getting those good deals, sort of encouraging for the rest of us.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts