Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone got anything easy and simple to do with quail ? A friend gave us a six pack or frozen ones from his hunting, they're pen raised birds.
Thanks-
Steve

·
Registered
578 Posts
Pot Pie
Watch out for the shot.

Charlie

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
My favorite game bird! By far the easiest and tastiest birds to prepare.
I split them up the back and flatten them out. Season to taste, brown in butter and finish in the oven.

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
You said baked, quail and easy. Well this isn't baked, isn't quail, but is easier than it reads. Replace Pheasant with quail and off you go:

Pheasant (quail) With Bacon & Creamsauce

4 pheasant (quail) breasts *Might need more with quail.*
3 slices bacon cut in small pieces
1 sprig rosemary
¼ Cup whitewine
½ Cup Cream
3 tablespoons butter

Heat skillet to med high and add bacon. Let fry until just starting to crisp and most of the fat is in the skillet.
Remove bacon leaving fat.

Season breasts with salt/pepper to taste, sear breasts till brown on each side (3-4 min/side)
Add chopped rosemary and shake pan to even rosemary distribution. Add white wine, and simmer till wine is nearly evaporated, then add cream.

Once cream is added, turn breasts every minute or so to cook evenly.
The cream will reduce and get thick, forming the sauce. If it looks like it’s getting too thick, reduce heat and add butter to keep sauce from lumping up. You may also add small amounts of cream or wine during this time.

After about 10 minutes total time in the pan you should be finished. Sprinkle bacon bits removed in the beginning in the sauce and spoon over breasts. I like this with a baked potato, and asparagus.

This recipe seems like a lot of work, but it really isn’t, and the result will be very well worth it.

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
Roan: That sounds real good. I think it can be used on a variety of game meats. Gonna have to try it. Like to cook but love to eat!! Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You must have heard me thinking, "Now about these pheasant I got,...."- thanks.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Here in Arizona we just wrap them in thick cut bacon strips (not pork belly / breakfast bacon) and grill them. If you like a little more flavor, stuff a green chili inside the bird. I swear it's better than cotton candy.

·
Registered
578 Posts
MOUNTAIN WILLIAM said:
Here in Arizona we just wrap them in thick cut bacon strips (not pork belly / breakfast bacon) and grill them. If you like a little more flavor, stuff a green chili inside the bird. I swear it's better than cotton candy.
My buddies down in Nevada do Dove breasts that way.
Tasty!!!!
The chilie's a must.

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just tried Roan444's recipe, it was very good. Lots of good sauce to put on rice. Thanks for the help- Steve

1 - 11 of 11 Posts