Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had the wants for an 1895 lately, but with all the QC issues and the temporary closure of the Marlin production line, I was losing hope. So went out cruising the pawn shops for a used .45-70, and had no luck. HOWEVER, if did handle a very lovely early 1950s "waffletop" 336 A in .32 Special. Lord have mercy that gun was smooth. And it had the Lyman rear aperture and a little hooded spider dot front bead. Don't know if I could hunt black bear with the front sight, but it would be the nuts at the range. They wanted $450, and I just might take the up on it.
Never had a .32 Spl. before, but with Hornady's new FTX available to handloaders, it is a real temptation.
Anyone have any druthers on Winchester vs. Hornady brass in this caliber?

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
I have an F 1949 336A in .32 special, I use WW and RP in mine.

More cast than jacketed but it does like Hornady 170gns never tried the gummi tips.

Far as cast is concerned it does shoot very small groups using 9gns of Alliant 2400 pistol powder.

I'd go back and offer em $350 and see where that leads you, or trade off a gun you don't use if you have one.

If it's an ADL (checkered stocks) they bring more. If I had to do it over, knowing and liking my .32 I would pay as much as it takes, they don't make .32s anymore.

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Last year, I had an old 20" Waffle Top that was just awesome, but I found a 24" opd 94 Winchester, so sold it it, bought the Mod 94. bad move, the Mod 94's thin buttstock eat me alive, the light barrel threw my choice load 18" high at 100, so sold it. If I ever run across a 24" Marlin in 32 Win, it's 'bought on the spot", no matter what! ha. I think the 32 is a very underated round; good luck to you!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did it. Bought it for $450. It's a G prefix so 1950. Parts of the rifle are factory mint in terms of blue. Came with a virtually new Lyman 56 and a Dockendorff globe front sight with spot on a horizontal wire. I don't care about the price at this point because I think I got a great Marlin!
Pics to follow ...

:)

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
All things considered I'd say that's a screaming bargain ;D

·
Super Moderator
6,347 Posts
Good show, ole boy!!! Like was posted, I too believe the 32 Spl is way underated and totally satisfying!! I've had a Win M94 available to me since I was about 13, and it's been on my rack for the last 30 years, an inheritance. I may just have to locate one of these remarkable Marlins. My 41mag, 30-30, and 444T are all straight stocked and dynamite shooters. I feel a "need" coming on!

Jeff
NRA Life

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I feel sooooooo good about bringing home a Truman-era Marlin instead of a Remlin.
Bore looks mint. Does anyone know if Marlin used the original 1:16 Winchester twist in their .32 Specials? I can measure if no one knows. Really looking forward to hand loading and shooting this caliber for the first time. And I love a short magazine and a 24-inch barrel on a lever gun.
Anachronism: What year was your 336-A made?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
And it had the Lyman rear aperture and a little hooded spider dot front bead. Don't know if I could hunt black bear with the front sight
Well, that front sight would get fixed where it could go to the bear woods, as soon as possible.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here are those photos, fellas:

Didn't realize the front sight was anything but black until I slid open the hood and lo and behold, a gold dot appeared.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
Oregon Bill,
Nice, very nice!! I shot my first deer at 12 years old with a Win 94 .32 Special. I've been hooked ever since! Have four .32 Specials now and
would not part with any of them. I've got the above mentioned Win 94 from 1949. Purchased from my Uncle Jack who loaned it to me that rainy November morning in 1964. Also got another Win 94 from 1968. Not as nice as my 1949 vintage 94 but a great shooter non the less. I
also have two Marlin 336SC's, one from 1951 and one from 1958. The 336SC from 1958 is nearly pristine. I shoot a LOT of cast through mine
and they shoot wonderfully. I use the RCBS 08-170FNGC. Lubed and gas checked mine weigh 182gr. Shoot them at speeds of 1650fps up to
2000fps. Fun, I said fun man!!!!LOL So I've got two .32 Specials from the Truman era. Also have a 336SC 30-30, a 722 300 Savage, and a 721 30-06 all from the Truman era!
358 Win

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
Beautiful!

·
Registered
9,455 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts