Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I really should buy this Marlin 375 I came across on my last trip to the gun shop. Some prodding probably wouldn't hurt, though. I've tried to read up on this rifle and the cartridge as well, and I've heard some very good things. With a .35 rem, .44 mag and .45-70, I certainly don't need it. Does the .375 do anything the others won't? Would it be a reasonable replacement for the .35? The .35 is a 1965 and a great shooter; I'd hate to get rid of it, but I think my dad would take it off my hands, so that's not a bad compromise. It seems ammo and even reloading components are pretty limited. Someone here said .38-55 ammo is usable. Anyone else hear something contrary to that? Anyway, any input would be appreciated. Thanks a lot.
Matthew

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts
The .375 is a good rifle and cartridge combo. The .375 is the groove size where as a 38-55 has an average of .379. The WW 38-55 ammo is .376 I would not buy it for a .375 as it is very wimpy in it's loading. The .375 will do anything the .35 rem will do and more. Bullets are readily available to the reloader. Brass is also available though you can use 30-30 cases after up sizing them. If you buy Lee dies buy a decapper sizer rod for a .375 H&H as it is a long tapered one and will with a little lube make 30-30 brass into .375 with one stroke of the presses lever. If reasonably priced you should buy it as it does have beyond that value as a collector item. They do not come along everyday.

·
Registered
594 Posts
That's a no brainer. Make sure your dad never sells the 35 because you should get it back some day :wink: . The 375's are harder to come by.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
The Marlin 375 is a nice gun but I think it is best for handloaders. I use 39.0g AA1680 and a Rem 9-1/2 primer for 2230fps with a 220g Hornady bullet.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
What condition is the M375 in? If it is in good working condition and you can let go of the dollars, by all means it is a trade worth making. Being the curious type, what is the price?

SS

·
Premium Member
18,030 Posts
As was stated, this is a no-brainer. You just have to ask yourself two questions.........

1) Do I already have one?
2) Do I want someone else to buy it, instead of me?

If the answer to either one is no, BUY IT!

Simple, ain't it?

PJ (Pragmatically Judgemental)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I'd say it's in excellent condition. I left out the price on purpose. Had I included that, the replies might not have been as diverse. It's not a giveaway, but it's very fair. Hopefully I'll have an update tonight.

Matthew

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here she is. . .

Here are some pics of the aforementioned M375. Gave $299 for it. The worst blemish is the surface rust spot in the pic. There is also a small scratch on the other side of the mag tube. Almost no blue on the muzzle, but the crown still looks fine. Serial is 200xxxxx, so I believe it was born in 1980. Can't wait to see how it shoots!

Matthew

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
You're a cruel man Knerr, a cruel man indeed. You paid a "pittance for a kingdom". Not only did you tell how much you paid you posted pictures of it. Dang.

The dealer must not have known what he had. A little oil and steel wool will do wonders for it, then a touch of cover on the stock and forarm... really nice rifle. Though it is not blemish free you did really well. I'd buy it from you for a decent profit, but don't sell.

SS

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sidespin said:
You're a cruel man Knerr, a cruel man indeed. You paid a "pittance for a kingdom". Not only did you tell how much you paid you posted pictures of it. Dang.
Sorry, Sidespin, but you asked for it! :D

Forgive me, but what exactly do you mean by "a touch of cover on the stock and forearm?" I'm guessing something to kill the glare(?).

Thanks,
Matthew

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Actually on any nicks and scratches. I use Formby's on small imperfections in the wood, does a decent job of "covering" the scratches, though there are only a few on your rifle.

Again, nice rifle. Gonna scope it?

SS

·
Premium Member
18,030 Posts
Stealing is a sin. Shame on you. Your penance is to box up the rifle and ship it to me..... :wink:

PJ (Patently Jealous)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts