Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Early Model 80 "RANGER 36" With Scope

Spoted this old gal with scope blocks on Gunbroker .I'v had a Ranger scope for a while so I had no choice.It's called "MarlinitUS"

Sears sold several scopes made by different folks with the Ranger mark.This one is a Marlin No.2

Attachments

·
Registered
8,708 Posts
Re: Early Model 80 "RANGER 36" With Scope

Cool gun Mudpuppy! I have an old Ranger over and under. I'm told the Ranger name is pre WWII. After that it was J.C. Higgens.

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Sears catalog of 1937 shows this rifle and three grades of "Ranger" scopes.Rifle and scope combinations were sent with the blocks installed,scopes ordered separatly included proper drill bit and tap.
This old rifle has no trigger block safety,instead,a twist bolt safety /decocker which I'v been told dates it 1936 and back or "first Model"Marlin 80.
It proved to shoot decent,five holes inside 3/4 inch at 35 yards but ran out of scope adjustment one inch left of zero.The front block is off center a tad.That explains how I got it so cheap.
I will install a driftable block in the rear sight slot and try again today

·
Registered
8,708 Posts

That's a nice piece of history you got there brother!

How did you find the Sears catalog info? Do you have a link?

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

lever addict said:
That's a nice piece of history you got there brother!

How did you find the Sears catalog info? Do you have a link?
It was just a reproduction of the sporting section from 1937 Sears catalog on Ebay I ran across while researching the Ranger scope.

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I know this old klunker ain't sparked much interest but after changing the front block thought I'd post a little range work.

·
Registered
32 Posts

I have a ranger like yours with out scope and peep sight and a broken rear sight needs some work though looks like a good shooter you got there ..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts