Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
7,971 Posts
I'm going to take a guess here....early 1894's (maybe even late ones?) used a two piece firing pin. The two-piece firing pin was separated towards the hammer end. Perhaps the spring is intended to be used with the two-piece firing pins?

I don't know why Numrich doesn't list the "rear" firing pin. It's kind of confusing.

I'll admit that I have an early 1984 (DOM 1902) and I've never taken the bolt apart. I could be taking out my butt because my mouth knows better.

· Registered
7,971 Posts
I'm going to take a guess here....early 1894's (maybe even late ones?) used a two piece firing pin. The two-piece firing pin was separated towards the hammer end. Perhaps the spring is intended to be used with the two-piece firing pins?

I don't know why Numrich doesn't list the "rear" firing pin. It's kind of confusing.

I'll admit that I have an early 1984 (DOM 1902) and I've never taken the bolt apart. I could be taking out my butt because my mouth knows better.
If this is an 1894 front firing pin (it doesn't appear to be a two-piece affair, however), I probably did have the bolt apart at one time. Probably happened when I first got the rifle home from where it came. I found this a few days ago in my gun tool box when I was straightening out the work benches.

Holy cow. I have absolutely no recollection of ever having had to source and buy a new firing pin. Getting old is a terrible thing. :hmmmm2:

· Registered
7,971 Posts
I understand that, and when dealing with cast that is what I do (bullet oversized for the bore).

However, in looking at the rifling, I can see it is in poor shape. Am I incorrect in assuming this jagged rifling will sort of “tear” at the bullet as it travels the length of the barrel? That it could put uneven pressure on the bullet as it exits the muzzle and cause it to tumble? Or am I overthinking this? I have a friend that has 20-30 rifles of this vintage and anytime he gets one with poor rifling like this, he has found that jacketed performs better than any cast he tries.

From everything that I have read, accuracy is more dependent upon the condition of the rifling at the muzzle than through the bore. However, I don't think rusted and pitted bores were part of the discussion of these reads.

I'm guessing that it'll shoot just fine. At least good enough for plinking.

My M1 rifle's original barrel ('43 vintage) looked similar to that and it kept it in the black at 100 yards easily.

· Registered
7,971 Posts
If this is an 1894 front firing pin (it doesn't appear to be a two-piece affair, however), I probably did have the bolt apart at one time. Probably happened when I first got the rifle home from where it came. I found this a few days ago in my gun tool box when I was straightening out the work benches.

Holy cow. I have absolutely no recollection of ever having had to source and buy a new firing pin. Getting old is a terrible thing. :hmmmm2:
It took a while but it finally came back to me. This is a Winchester Model 12 firing pin. It came out of an old, cut down shotgun I bought as a practice piece.

Just to set the record straight; this kind of stuff can come back to haunt me if I ever wanted to run for office as a Republican.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.