Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am cleaning up an early 94 for my stepson. The bolt was siezed up so i soaked it in PB Blaster and when i disassembled it, I noticed the firing pin was broken. I logged onto Numrich and looked at the schematic and see there is a “firing pin spring”. Where exactly does this go? I can see no spring on the bolt except the extractor, which obviously has a spring.

Part #17 on this schematic

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/marlinglenfield/1894-series/1894-early-model

Reactions: Owen49

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Comparing my two later model pre safety 94s, the firing pins move freely and independently of one another.

This one looks like it supposed to be the same but it may not be. I just dont see where that spring could go.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thanks. I didn’t realize there was room in the bolt for the pin and the spring. I’ll take a closer look.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks that way. Thanks!!

Ok. FYI, I figured out where the firing pin spring goes. It clips in this tiny groove and rides the front firing pin, while putting downward pressure on the rear firing pin. I will (hopefully) shoot it tomorrow. If bullets dont tumble, i will order firing pin spring and assemble it correctly. May even order a new ejector while I’m at it.

This is the rifle in question. It was a real basket case before. So much better now. Just hope it shoots with its jagged rifling.

Reactions: tradarcher

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I understand that, and when dealing with cast that is what I do (bullet oversized for the bore).

However, in looking at the rifling, I can see it is in poor shape. Am I incorrect in assuming this jagged rifling will sort of “tear” at the bullet as it travels the length of the barrel? That it could put uneven pressure on the bullet as it exits the muzzle and cause it to tumble? Or am I overthinking this? I have a friend that has 20-30 rifles of this vintage and anytime he gets one with poor rifling like this, he has found that jacketed performs better than any cast he tries.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks yall. I will likely try some cast then.

If this were my rifle or even if my stepson was a big shooter, I’d put the money in it to have it lined or even rebarreled, but i just dont think he is gonna shoot it much if at all when he gets it back. It’s a shame. It would be a fun rifle i think.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well i bought the firing pin spring to try and it didn’t really work that well.

I removed it and installed new firing pin retainer pins and the gun seemed to work fine so i assembled without the spring.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.