Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Early 880SQ is earning it's "Keeper" status.

Hi all. Reading another post reminded me that I have not posted on my most recent exploits with my 880SQ. I have an SQ that is first year production -back when they used the same barrels as their target rifles- that I bought from a member of this Board a few years back. I have shot about every different kind of ammo there is through this rifle and found it to be exceptionally accurate -fighting neck and neck with my BRNOs, even. Since it is a hunting rifle I tend to use it for just that and lately it has become my favorite walk-n-shoot prairiedog/rabbit gun. Last week I shot 6 prairiedogs and 11 rabbits in a 3 hour stretch using Aguila "SE" High Velocity Solids. The rifle was unerring in it's delivery and I must say that despite the more refined looks and feel of some of my higher priced rifles, this SQ has really earned it's place in my rack. ~Andrew

·
Registered
20 Posts

Yea, go ahead and rub it in Andrew! One of the few rifles I sold that I should have kept. Glad it went to a bud that can appreciate it if it had to go though. :wink:

p.s. I'm pretty impressed with the Aguila SE myself. I mostly shoot the purple and blue boxed stuff but keep a case of the green/high velocity around for those times when extra UMPH is required.

·
Super Moderator
5,567 Posts

Andrew, I can relate. The first I heard Marlin was offering the SQ I ran down and ordered one, and mine has the "04" serial number prefix, dovetail block and twin front sight screw holes of the match chambered 880 SQ.

Nice to be one of the lucky few, ain't it?

Mine shoots Eley (any match), their subsonic HP, and the CCI subsonic HP very, very well. Actually, it shoots most everything well, and certain lots of cheap bulk ammo like Federal Champion or Lightning have also surprised me with their accuracy through the match SQ. I have been amazed at the number of one hole fifty yard groups it's fired. Like you said, it may not be the most sophisticated, but it sure shoots. Mine is not for sale.

Hundreds of fox squirrels and dozens of cottontails, feral cats, digger squirrels and prairie dogs, possums, sparrows, a few raccoons and other vermin no doubt would have wished I had carried something else for a rimfire. It's my main hunting gun when I carry a .22, and I don't feel the need to use anything else.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Sorry WH. Didn't mean to rub salt in the wound! Still shooting great! I find it will digest almost everything with good results. The SE shoots well in the field, as does the Moderator Sub Sonic. Eley Sub Sonic shoot one hole at 50 as does the Wolf Match and the Aguila SS Solids and HP. The 60 grainers are marginal past 40 mtrs.

Today I whacked 4 rabbits with the SE. Thumped them over, dead. I really like this rifle quite a bit.~Andrew

·
Registered
1,658 Posts

I guess my 880SQ isn't one of the "rare" models..serial number is 012532XX and the front of the barrel is entirely plain...but I still like the way it shoots...
I have camo painted the stock...I think that helps the appearance very well..

I'm running a 3-9X40 Simmons...since it is a hunting rifle, as opposed to a strictly paper puncher..

What kind of optics do you run ?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Amazing! I also have my SQ cammoed and it sports a Simmons 3x9 Camo/Armoured scope I picked up in a trade. So far it's held it's zero like a bulldog on a bone! Funny how great minds think alike! ~Andrew

·
Registered
18 Posts

Ha! ha! ha! I forgot all about that camo job!

Oh the memories of having to move your tools out of the way on your back porch in 115 deg heat! :lol:

·
Registered
25,048 Posts

Welcome back MarinePMI .. :lol:

·
Registered
18 Posts

GJ,

Thanks! I poke my head from time to time just to see what's going on...work has been quite busy lately. Yesterday was actually the first day in quite a while to physically sit down long enough to see what everyone's been up to. Hope everyone is doing well...

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

115 degrees?? Wasn't it more like 130 degrees?? I still get compliments on that stock.

Get up here, Marine! The sod rats are ganging up on me. ~Andrew

PS: You guys might think that the "115 degrees" is an exaggeration but I have spent many, many long days with PMI shooting low desert groundsquirrels on the Mexican border in registered 128 degree heat. Darned near a religious experience, eh Marine??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts