Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
That's probably a fair price with the longer barrel. But really, other than that, there is little different between that and several others I have in my safe already. Ok, I'm denial. I would LOVE to have that shooter!

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
That ain't no ADL guys; so don't be lusting after that one! It's a standard 336 A (a 48 or 49 model judging by the lever); ADL's have checkered stocks and factory installed sling swivels, etc.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Yeah, looks like a standard 336A (not that that is a bad thing). :) I think the earlier 36A (standard version) was sometimes marked A DL on the barrel even though it was non-checkered. It did sting a bit but I managed to muster the discipline to pass on a "mint" 36A in .30-30, this past week, for $235! :'(

Trying to save money and energy for those "holy grail" guns and, when they appear, I'll attack like a rabid wolf! :p

·
Premium Member
9,463 Posts
Do you have contact info for that 36A? Is it still available? I have no discipline at all. ;D Will the guy ship to my FFL?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Brian in FL said:
Do you have contact info for that 36A? Is it still available? I have no discipline at all. ;D Will the guy ship to my FFL?
Brian, unfortunately it sold already. It was listed in the local classfieds here and I should have gone to get it, if not for me, at least to transfer to one of you fine folks. Sorry for not realizing that sooner. Just recently picked up a gun I had on layaway (which depleted gun funds) or I would have been all over it!!

·
Banned
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Early 1948 336 with a 36 barrel stamped adl(Marlin was probably using up barrels). I believe it was refinished too.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Look to the metal.. How many times have I passed on a well used but pampered piece because of a scratch on the wood??
As a woodworker specializing (now) in severely broken stocks, I am always kicking myself over a few dollars, having passed on something worh MUCH, MUCH more with an hour's elbow grease and oil....

·
Premium Member
9,463 Posts
Littlemarlin said:
Brian, unfortunately it sold already. It was listed in the local classfieds here and I should have gone to get it, if not for me, at least to transfer to one of you fine folks. Sorry for not realizing that sooner. Just recently picked up a gun I had on layaway (which depleted gun funds) or I would have been all over it!!
Oh well, such is life. Another will come along one of these days, and I can't buy them all, as much as I'd like to. There's just so much room to store them. ;D

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
hunter718 said:
Early 1948 336 with a 36 barrel stamped adl(Marlin was probably using up barrels). I believe it was refinished too.
Any idea of the serial number? I have a '48 336ADL with barrel roll stamp of 336A. Apparently put together before an ADL stamp had been
done up (and yes, the wood IS numbered to the gun). Some time long ago it was drilled and tapped for a scope.

Added: The rifle in question must be a VERY early 336 - it's not drilled and tapped for a receiver sight; mine is. I wonder if the tang was d/t'd
for a tang sight...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,463 Posts
My '49 ADL is also stamped A on the barrel. I think that was standard if I'm not mistaken. That's why I got such a good price on it. The guy didn't know it was an ADL; he thought it was just an A. When I bought it, I didn't realize it either. I found out that it is an ADL here at this site.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts