Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, let's kick off this thing and get back to date. What have you 1894 owners been doing with your babies while the board was down?

I tinkered a bit with the wife's C. Had been using CCI 550 primers so tried Remington 5 1/2 standard primers. Interesting thing is that I got higher average velocity but groups weren't any better. Back to the loading bench and try 296 powder this time. I'll get those 180 gr lead slugs to shoot yet!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Aw heck Retro! Just beak down, and order a couple thousand 158g Remington SPs. Load'em up with Lil'Gun, and CCI 550 primers, and enjoy!

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jerry, I figured that would draw you out of seclusion. :)
Yep, those 158 grainers work nicely in the 1894C. Mrs. Retro took a real nice fat deer last year with a jacketed bullet in that weight. But gee whiz, I've been having a blast since I got into casting my own slugs. My home cast .41 was so awesome on the whitetail I shot last year that I couldn't help but shift efforts to the .357, too. You wouldn't deny me the fun of casting, sizing, loading and run out back to try each new variation, now, would you? I already have my sights set on working up loads with this same bullet for my revolver and .357 Herrett, too. Good thing I didn't find out about casting years ago or I'd be poorer than I am now.

·
Registered
355 Posts
LOL!

I guess you've got a point. I've toyed with the idea of casting, but I'm as bad as you when it comes to getting obsessed with my hobbies. If I started casting, I'd not only spend the money saved on more casting equipment, but with all the cheap bullets, I'd likely be spending a small fortune on primers, brass, and powder. I guess I'm addicted?

If I was looking for a .357" cast bullet load(for deer), I'd likely try to find an alloy that would offer at least some expansion, then look for a design(about 170g) with a wide flat nose, then a load combo that would drive that bullet up to around 1500-1700 fps with minimal leading. In other words, I'd spend a fortune searching for a load I'd most likely never find. Now I remember why I never took up casting! LOL!

I have been shooting the Hornady 140g Cowboy bullets in my Blackhawk quite a bit. They're pretty soft, but make a great plinking/small game load. I'm running them about 850 fps right now, with no leading, and excellent accuracy. I just burned up a couple hundred rounds of it today busting fist sized dirt clods at ranges from 20-40 yards. I'll admit that it was a lot more 20 than 40 though!

G

·
Jerry, I've been casting for about 6 years now. And just about all for rifles. I cast plain base and gas check bullets. They have for the most part shot well on paper and done really well on deer. The alloy I use is plain old wheelweights. They expand alright on deer and have enough ass to shoot thru.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I was looking for a .357" cast bullet load(for deer), I'd likely try to find an alloy that would offer at least some expansion, then look for a design(about 170g) with a wide flat nose, then a load combo that would drive that bullet up to around 1500-1700 fps with minimal leading. In other words, I'd spend a fortune searching for a load I'd most likely never find.
That's exactly the set of goals I have been aiming at. I acquired an LBT mould that throws a 180 gr gascheck slug of wheelweight alloy which is at BHN 11 when air cooled and has a .287 meplat. Had no problem getting 1740 fps with no objectionable leading and four shot groups in the 1.5 to 2" range at 50 yards. These should expand modestly at that velocity and penetrate more than enough for deer. I'm now playing with little things trying to tighten up the groups a bit. So, you see, it is possible. Jump on into the casting pool. The water's fine. :D

·
Registered
355 Posts
I may just ease into the casting pool later in the summer, and see how the water is...

G

·
Jerry Lester said:
I may just ease into the casting pool later in the summer, and see how the water is...
I tried to ease in also . But 7 years later I have about 60 molds and want more :wink: But I actually enjoy casting quite a bit. You can't imagine the charge you get the first time you use a bullet you cast yourself to take a deer 8) So far I've never had to shoot more then one time to get a deer with my cast bullets :wink:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts