Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever I have a battery operated device that has leaky batteries, it's always been those wonderful Crapper Top Duracells. I've even had Duracells leak before they're even dead.

I have a separate 24" tool box where I keep a set of tools I use around the house. Portable with basic hand tools. saw, levels, etc. for electrical and mechanical chores. I found this flashlight in the box tray today.

leaky flashlight_resized 180.jpg

This poor flashlight has the flu - it's coming out of both ends. I didn't even open it. Tossed it into the dead battery box for the next run to the hazardous waste site. Yes, there's Duracells in there.

This is why I've switched to Ray-O-Vac (I think they're now owned by Eveready) batteries.

·
Registered
19,472 Posts
Never had any problems with them (or any others for that matter) myself! Guess I'm lucky! Naaaaaahhhhhhh that ain't it!

·
Registered
6,648 Posts
Ive had batteries of virtually every brand leak once they're dead and the device has been forgotten. Once I had a lantern with 8 C cells leak so much it had standing liquid in the tray it was on.

Hate it when it's an expensive light like a Mag Lite that's been left in a car. Only with rechargeable batteries have I not had leaks.

Reactions: Lever Jac

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Years ago I worked for a while in a Duracel plant. You'd be amazed how many batteries with other well-known brand name labels went out of there. Bottom line -- most of them are identical, regardless of the brand.

·
Registered
12,956 Posts
I use to carry 3cell Maglite in truck. Always had good batteries because I used almost daily. Lost several to leaking but only in winter.
Brand didn't matter, I think it was from freezing temp. I haven't carried them for years but have 4 of them in the house and never have trouble with leakage. Try to change batteries twice a year, if I remember.

I have a small Dewalt zip bag a power tool came in. I keep all my batteries for power tools ( rechargeables) and all my stuff than runs on dry cells , electrical meters and such. In cold weather the bag goes in the house with me and that reduces battery problems. Last winter I forgot to take a digital multimeter in the house. It was $100 meter and ran on AAAs. Meter was fairly new and batteries had never been replaced. The cheap Chinese batteries leaked and ruined meter. Bought new meter and 1st thing I did was change out the cheap batteries they come with to good ones.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
I've had way more problems with energizer batteries leaking, I switched to Duracell because of it. I now see some companies advertising leak proof batteries now.
I wonder how many devices have been trashed by their leaking batteries,

·
Premium Member
7,766 Posts
I have had just the opposite experience. Rayovac have performed horribly in my game cameras and i only use duracell or enegizers. both of the later last upwards of 3 months in my cameras on a regular basis. The rayovac have never lasted more than a few weeks if that.

Reactions: Travlin

·
Registered
83 Posts
Duracell Battery Guarantee
If not completely satisfied with your Duracell battery product, call 1-800-551-2355 (9:00AM – 5:00PM EST). Duracell guarantees its batteries against defects in materials and workmanship. Should any device be damaged due to a battery defect, we will repair or replace it at our option. Leaking battery and damaged device must be provided as proof of claim. Duracell may deny claims of damage caused by misuse or modification of the batteries or device.

https://www.duracell.com/en-us/technology/battery-care-use-and-disposal/

·
Registered
388 Posts
In the old days you could send the flashlight back to the battery maker and they would send you a new one. I recently had some copper tops leak. Went to the website, called the CS number shown. Gave them the numbers off the batteries and they sent a coupon for new batteries. In my case it was like an 8 or 10 pack coupon...

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
Years ago I worked for a while in a Duracel plant. You'd be amazed how many batteries with other well-known brand name labels went out of there. Bottom line -- most of them are identical, regardless of the brand.
That's like like cordless tools I was told ryboi made 90% of all cordless tools now,same with mowers Huskvarna & M/D make all the mowers.

Reactions: Golphin

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
Fished these out of a torch a half hour ago. The fault? Mine really. We need to check these things regularly. To be fair I have not found any one make more or less prone to failure. I tend to buy Energizer these days though. Especially the lithium ones where they may need to stand in store for years. I am a torch (Flashlight) nut and own many. Always have one close to hand, like some other things I could mention.

By the way, out of interest while we in the UK call them torches in the US they call them flashlights. That is the more valid name, as the first battery lights were made in the US by Ever Ready (Original name). The first were pretty naff, and pretty much only flashed, hense the name.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Duracell Battery Guarantee

If not completely satisfied with your Duracell battery product, call 1-800-551-2355 (9:00AM – 5:00PM EST). Duracell guarantees its batteries against defects in materials and workmanship. Should any device be damaged due to a battery defect, we will repair or replace it at our option. Leaking battery and damaged device must be provided as proof of claim. Duracell may deny claims of damage caused by misuse or modification of the batteries or device.

https://www.duracell.com/en-us/technology/battery-care-use-and-disposal/
...and they are good on their word. We had some leak and destroy our voice activated thrower on our trap field and they replaced it, $300.00 out of their pocket!

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've had Duracells leak so bad that I've had to hammer them out of a D-sized Mag-Lite after removing the switch assembly.

So far, the only issue I have with Mag "torches" are their LED bulbs. They don't take kindly to being dropped. Maybe it was just an unlucky hit in the right place.

maglite 002_a.jpg

Sure, all single cell batteries are potential leakers (I now call them Schiff-ers) so I keep them out of high dollar devices.

BTW, Renata button cell batteries are also notorious known leakers as well.

·
Registered
67 Posts
In the old days you could send the flashlight back to the battery maker and they would send you a new one. I recently had some copper tops leak. Went to the website, called the CS number shown. Gave them the numbers off the batteries and they sent a coupon for new batteries. In my case it was like an 8 or 10 pack coupon...
That is my experience. 12 years or so they replaced the damaged Mag-light. 4 years ago they gave me a battery coupon despite the guarantee on their website. They should take down their warranty, it is a lie.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Maglights? OMG you guys are old. LOL. My Maglights went out the door 15yrs ago. Way better light technologies out there today.

BTW I only buy Energizer Lithium for the game cameras. Regular batteries have water in them and dont take kindly to cold temps.

Hayden.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Ummm,

Unless it is a NOS Maglight that has been hanging on the shelf forever, it is really hard to still buy a Maglight with anything but your new fangled technology in them as a light source. For that matter most all of my antique Maglights have been converted to those magic bulbs as the old technology gave up the ghost.

Get with the times junior.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts