Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought my second 1894 in .44 Mag, should never have sold the first one. Every time I take it out I bring home empty brass, no matter how much loaded ammo I take to the range not much comes back intact. This is never a problem with the 1895 Guide Gun for some strange reason. ;)

Has anyone ever worn out an 1894? I'd figure that the barrel will last a long time with cast loads, but what about the other mechanisms?

·
Registered
363 Posts
only gun Ive ever seen 'worn out' was an old OLD cheap SAA clone pistol, and for the most part its not completely worn out but the one click safety and half cock can fall if you pull the trigger. Otherwise it shoots excellent.

I would suspect you would need to shoot umteen thousands of rounds to actually wear one out.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Firing pin breakage is common(bad design).
Same with the spring under the extractor and ejector.
Carriers have issues with the plunger and 'timing'.
I shoot a .44 Marlin in SASS, and that is what I have seen in the last 12+ years.
Marlin 94's are K.I.S.S. in the gun world.
LG

·
Registered
363 Posts
Firing pin breakage is common(bad design).
Same with the spring under the extractor and ejector.
Carriers have issues with the plunger and 'timing'.
I shoot a .44 Marlin in SASS, and that is what I have seen in the last 12+ years.
Marlin 94's are K.I.S.S. in the gun world.
LG
Thats what I was thinking, typically you are more apt to have something break vs wear out.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I remember reading something about the firing pins and a replacement one piece job back when I was shooting SASS. I may just add a spare firing pin to the drawer.
I've got a spare ejector for the 1895 and I believe they're the same part. Plus I've got a few extra screws in case I manage to lose or booger the originals.

Thanks for the input gents!

·
Registered
17,084 Posts
Friday afternoon before Labor Day weekend,I broke a rear firing pin in my 1894 Remlin. I've put about 8000 rounds through it in 10 months near as I can estimate. I'm lucky to live near Rapid City,so ran into town and hit Jack First before they closed. Cost $13.80 and takes about 1 minute to change after taking the bolt out. The drive there was the longest part of the repair. Test fire was just fine.
I traded into this Remlin really cheap,and I've been putting 200 rounds,or so,a week through it to see if it'll hold up. Some weeks more,some less depending on that good ol' South Dakota weather. This was the first part breakage so far. I glass bedded the buttstock,and changed out the carrier when I first bought it,and it's slick operating and accurate. The inside of the barrel is smooth,it broke in noticably after 3000 rounds or so,and is getting smoother. The cleaning patch just glides through,and it looks like a mirror. Well burnished. I'm shooting plated and cast at 9 grains of Unique,and several makes of 240 grain jacketed with just below max charges of A2400,IMR 4227,and Acc #9. The testing will continue until it wears out,or I do. Meanwhile I'm saving my JM Marlin for Hunting Season. If this Remlin pukes,I'll send it down the highway,but so far,so good.

Rob

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
Never heard of wearing one out but it sure is fun to try, and if the gun breaks you can fix that too.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I shoot about 3500-4000 rounds a year through about 10 different guns so I think I'm safe from wearing anything out but it sounds like you're going to give this gun a good chance to prove its self. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
The SASS guys knock the crap out of the guns and break all sorts of stuff, wear out carriers all the time. I see lots of blown out 94s for sale in my area. Usually don't cycle. Lol it's fixable though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts