Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to purchase a LEUPOLD 1.5-5x20mm VX-3 scope for my 1895G and was just wondering if the Heavy Duplex would be better for my older eyes? I have several Leupold scopes with the regular Duplex and have never had any trouble with them but I have never looked at the Heavy Duplex to compare the difference. Do any of you use the heavy Duplex and if so how do you like or dislike it?

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Well if you punch paper it covers the hole .. if you sight an leave alone for hunting it don't matter much.. I like the regular duplex best just cause it seems to self center on the POI you like

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gunjunkie said:
Well if you punch paper it covers the hole .. if you sight an leave alone for hunting it don't matter much.. I like the regular duplex best just cause it seems to self center on the POI you like

That is what I was thinking,it may be to heavy to see the target compared to the regular Duplex I think I may stick with what has worked for me in the past thanks .
JW

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
Heavy works better in low light, imo... If I have a choice, I will use a German #1 every time. It is NOT a target reticle, but it is fantastic (again, imo) under field conditions.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
So far (knock on wood), my vision is fine so my vote is for regular duplex. I have a Bushnell 4200 2.5-10x50 with a 30mm tube and a very heavy duplex. I find I only use that gun at early morning sits. Great glass just dont like the heavy duplex.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I have that scope with the regular duplex and it is very nice, I really like it. Myself, I prefer the regular over heavy. Heavy can show better in very low light but I never had issue with regular and it is more precise for targets and also agree that it self centers better. I feel like the wide is in my way.

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
I have a Leupold 1.75 x 6 with the heavy duplex on my .350 Rem Mag that is my favorite bear gun and sees plenty of use in low light conditions against very dark (black bear) targets. The heavy crosshairs have been a benefit on more than one occasion and yet, this gun will shoot one inch or slightly less at 100 yards even with the "handicap" of the thicker crosshairs.

Roe

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
Barenjager said:
I have a Leupold 1.75 x 6 with the heavy duplex on my .350 Rem Mag that is my favorite bear gun and sees plenty of use in low light conditions against very dark (black bear) targets. The heavy crosshairs have been a benefit on more than one occasion and yet, this gun will shoot one inch or slightly less at 100 yards even with the "handicap" of the thicker crosshairs.

Roe
+1 with the German #1 I had. Groups didnt suffer and would work in near dark/at night. Shot a black hog in Germany an hour after daylight on an overcast/drizzly night.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the input, one reason I was wondering about the heavy Duplex is all the places I looked and even online most were out of the Heavy but still had the regular in stock. Didn't know if they stock fewer or more people were using them.
JW

·
Banned
2,583 Posts
oscarflytyer said:
Heavy works better in low light, imo... If I have a choice, I will use a German #1 every time. It is NOT a target reticle, but it is fantastic (again, imo) under field conditions.
+1, I agree it is clearly superior to my eyes for field use. Especially on a rifle used for short to medium ranges. A low power scope, or scope with thick crosshairs is best sighted in on a target with a larger bullseye. Using a larger bullseye lets you more easily center the intersection. I find my groups do not suffer at 50 or 100 yards using this technique.

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
Been using Leupolds with heavy duplex the last few years. Much better for my older eyes and as said before ,they stand out more in low light conditions. I really like 'em. My 2 cents. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I have used both regular and heavy duty cross hairs in my Leupolds.Like one person said if you use the heavy duplex cross hairs just use a 3 inch orange stick on dot on your target instead of 1 inch.Group sizes in my experience were just the same no matter what type of reticle.I have actually gotten to where I now always use a 3 inch orange stick on dot on my paper targets or just get a stack of cheap paper plates and stick the dot on it and then staple to your board.It is a cheap way and very effective and the orange dot really sticks out.I do like both but also found out my older eyes also can benefit from thicker cross hairs especially early in the morning or late in the afternoon or if the sun tries to reflect off the glass giving a little glare.Hope it helps. Mike

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sorry, I have to chime in on this one....yes, my eyes, ears, and a few other pieces and parts are starting to be "not as effective" as they once was. ;)

This is a cheaper scope that I put on my slug gun years ago and has done pretty good. It's a Bushnell Trophy 1.75-4. The key is the Circle-X reticle. It has a fine cross hair in the center for fine shooting at targets but a decent sized circle which let's you put a big honkin' dot on your target.
And yes, I have and love my Leupold too! Vari-x III 2.5-8 on the aught six.

Let the flames begin!

Tim

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have both, and use both. I find the heavy much better suited to low light shooting, I'm talking barely legal shooting light. There have been numerous times that I've passed shots with regular duplex Leupolds that I probably could have taken with heavy wires. They do suffer at the range when you are trying to shoot tiny groups, but they are superior hunting scopes, especially for black critters in dark spots (like hogs and bears)

·
Premium Member
820 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
I dont have a leupold, but I have a heavy duplex bushnell 1x4 on my 45/70 and a redfield acculpex on my 308mx. Both are fantastic and great for thier gun. The heavy duplex for hairy hungry things is hard to beat. The accuplex for deer at range is great. Both are fine on the range up to 100 yards (longest buttes are 100 yards). :D

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
Duplex for me, although I do like the german style.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts