Marlin Firearms Forum banner

81 - 100 of 100 Posts

·
Banned
4,647 Posts
I hate to think too much on it, but some health issues might get me to do it, after it being my main ride for at least the last 35 years. and I have a 63 servicar to think about too. cannot dump too much on the family, when the time comes they will have enough with the guns and stuff.
Barry
I almost hate to ask, but let me know when the time comes, willya?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Well, I've been riding for many years. I've had many falls but they were in my youth and all but one was in the dirt. I also got hit from behind while stopped and waiting to make a left turn. The car behind me didn't stop and hit my HD Superglide at about 35 mph. I did backward somersaults over the sissy bar, over the hood, over the top of the car, down the trunk and continued onto the road. That was when I was 27 years old. I only suffered a sore back for a couple of days. If that happened today......

The biggest concern for older bikers is how they will do in a crash or fall with brittle bones and carrying extra weight. You need to consider a couple of things. First, getting thrown off a bike at 35 mph when you carry 170 pounds of tough, young muscle and bone is nothing like getting thrown off a bike at 35 mph when you carry 240 pounds of old man used-ta-be muscle and weakened bones. Second, a 450+ pound motorcycle falling on your leg is nothing like a 20 pound bicycle falling on your leg young or old!

I currently ride a 2003 HD Road King and a 2001 Moto-Guzzi California. But I ride them less and less each year. They are heavy. I've been looking to replace them with a lighter bike. Unfortunately, all the bikes are bigger and heavier than they were a few decades ago. Just yesterday I was looking at the Royal Enfield Intercontinental 650 (like our New Zealand member posted above) and the Royal Enfield Bullet 500. But they both still weight well over 400 pounds.

I see more and more of the older and bigger guys around here riding Can-Am 3-wheelers. They're just as heavy as a Harley but they look to be very stable. I also think they would be fairly easy for a new rider.

Another option for a beginner is to go small, like the Honda Monkey or one of the Yamaha trail bikes.

Personally, I'm considering buying a couple of the Yamaha TW200 Dual Sport bikes. They are 200cc machines that weigh in at a very light 280 pounds and have a low seat height. They have plenty of power for getting around town or traveling gravel roads and dirt trails in the mountains. They have very fat wheels. Wheels on a motorcycle work like gyroscopes and big, fat wheels and tires tend to add to stability. Based on the little you've told us, something like that would be my recommendation for you, a first bike for an older guy who wants something fun to ride around town and who likes the outdoors. Just don't take it for long touring excursions on the interstate.

img.jpg

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
And here I thought anyone could read and post on any thread. My apologies. A comment caught my eye and I read on.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I didn't say motorcycles weren't for you. I simply said I was not a fan. I'm a combat vet, survived an IED explosion with no significant physical injury, and retired from the local Police Department. I too have been living on borrowed time. All of us have. We all have an expiration date. I don't mean to be argumentative and I'm glad you find enjoyment in riding. It just isn't my thing, it's as simple as that.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I almost hate to ask, but let me know when the time comes, willya?
It is going to be a tough decision, I have been fighting with myself over it for some time. not easy to turn loose something you have so many miles and so much time invested in. been my main ride for so long, can't remember being without it.
Barry

·
Registered
28,731 Posts
I went take my physical with my doctor yesterday and the first thing he notice was the two burn marks on my right leg from my Suzuki. He laughed and asked me what type of bike I bought. Then he tells me to watch my back when riding! If the state stays shutdown any longer I miss the classes for returning riders! Covid-19 is a double edge razor blade! I can't talk I'm 64 going on 65 in eight months! 6' at 210 pounds. Still not a young man and broken bones hurt!

ca'jun56

·
Premium Member
13,899 Posts
I am 68 and have been riding since 1966. A bad hip and cancer kept me off motorcycles for 9 years. The NZ govt confiscated all semiauto centrefires and some other guns last year. The payments were on the low side but gave me enough to buy a brand new bike. I didn't want anything too powerfull or heavy as I'm fully aware of my limitations.It didn't take long to find a bike that looked like the old British bikes of my youth with similar HP but modern systems. I love it and have a big grin on my face evan after its parked back home. The "ride for life" saftey course was excellent for improving my skills.
View attachment 789803
View attachment 789805
I always liked those old Brit bikes, RE, BSA, Triumph, Norton, Vincent, ....

Reactions: cajun56

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Well, I've been riding for many years. I've had many falls but they were in my youth and all but one was in the dirt. I also got hit from behind while stopped and waiting to make a left turn. The car behind me didn't stop and hit my HD Superglide at about 35 mph. I did backward somersaults over the sissy bar, over the hood, over the top of the car, down the trunk and continued onto the road. That was when I was 27 years old. I only suffered a sore back for a couple of days. If that happened today......

The biggest concern for older bikers is how they will do in a crash or fall with brittle bones and carrying extra weight. You need to consider a couple of things. First, getting thrown off a bike at 35 mph when you carry 170 pounds of tough, young muscle and bone is nothing like getting thrown off a bike at 35 mph when you carry 240 pounds of old man used-ta-be muscle and weakened bones. Second, a 450+ pound motorcycle falling on your leg is nothing like a 20 pound bicycle falling on your leg young or old!

I currently ride a 2003 HD Road King and a 2001 Moto-Guzzi California. But I ride them less and less each year. They are heavy. I've been looking to replace them with a lighter bike. Unfortunately, all the bikes are bigger and heavier than they were a few decades ago. Just yesterday I was looking at the Royal Enfield Intercontinental 650 (like our New Zealand member posted above) and the Royal Enfield Bullet 500. But they both still weight well over 400 pounds.

I see more and more of the older and bigger guys around here riding Can-Am 3-wheelers. They're just as heavy as a Harley but they look to be very stable. I also think they would be fairly easy for a new rider.

Another option for a beginner is to go small, like the Honda Monkey or one of the Yamaha trail bikes.

Personally, I'm considering buying a couple of the Yamaha TW200 Dual Sport bikes. They are 200cc machines that weigh in at a very light 280 pounds and have a low seat height. They have plenty of power for getting around town or traveling gravel roads and dirt trails in the mountains. They have very fat wheels. Wheels on a motorcycle work like gyroscopes and big, fat wheels and tires tend to add to stability. Based on the little you've told us, something like that would be my recommendation for you, a first bike for an older guy who wants something fun to ride around town and who likes the outdoors. Just don't take it for long touring excursions on the interstate.

View attachment 802581
I just bought a TDUB. They are a blast....

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Well, I tried to post the video of a few TDUB’s in their element. But no matter what I do, it just shows the link, not the video. Who knows.....

·
Registered
407 Posts
I'm 61 and I still ride. I have a Kaw Vulcan Nomad 1500. Hardbags, windshield, the whole enchilada. I can do 300 miles in a good day but mostly stick to 2 lane country road riding and under 150 a day. I'll never forget when I was in Arkansas riding the Talimena Highway aka the Talimena Scenic Byway and I stopped to get some water at a small roadside store. Old timer came out and asked "Didja' ride that here?" Uhhh...

Reactions: no primers

·
Registered
590 Posts
I'm not a fan of motorcycles, I worked too many fatal accidents involving them. Besides, it sure seems like a good way to become an organ donor before my time...
Back in tech school had a buddy who inherited a kawasaki 440 from his sister. tragically she was killed walking across the street! Life’s short, I stopped riding when raising my children. Dreamt about it constantly. Had someone ask me this week why I don’t seem scared of this virus. Either spend your life doing things, or hiding from them.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hope the OP is making it happen. I, while not quite his age, am doing the same. Always wanted to ride but never could justify a one-person vehicle with four kids, a wife and one main income. We moved back to OK last year after 5 years as a contractor in Germany. My MIL told my FIL he had to sell his bike, so I paid him cash for a 2006 Honda VTX1300R. It's sort a bulletproof bike as long as one doesn't get crazy with it from what I'm told. I had the maintenance done on it last year. Was finally going to go to the MSF course with my son this spring but hurt myself doing something (what... I honestly don't know) and couldn't walk or hardly put weight on my leg for 3 weeks. So... my wife took my place in the MSF. She and my son both got their licenses. My son bought a used VStar 650 at an auction and didn't get it running completely before going to Basic last month so he road my Honda for a couple of weeks for practice. Wife CAN'T ride mine, her short legs hit the exhaust pipe. So she is waiting for the 650 to get out of the shop. After we got it running with a bunch of new parts, switches and tires, we put it in the shop for a tune-up. I'm sure she will want her own bike soon... she wants an Indian with the leather fringe package on it. Of course I'm trying to talk her into something cheaper and used. Anyway, we have a long paved drive so I have been practicing on my bike in the evenings lately. Stopping and starting uphill and downhill and level. Uphill isn't so fun. Can't get out of second gear on our drive though. Have gotten much better at riding slow. Not ready for a parade yet, but am coordinating the clutch, throttle and rear brake fairly well now. So I google map'd the area we live in. The biggest parking lot I can find is behind an old mall, not visible from the road and about 2 blocks long. I guess we will go over there for more practice. As soon as the MSF course opens back up, I'll get that scheduled but at least I will have a bit of seat time first.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I started riding again when I was almost 70 just for one final fling with a Harley Sportster. I first rode a Harley when I was 15 and loved it. It took all this time to get back and it was great. I took the rider safety course and took off. After several years I got hit by a blue pickup that kept running. I was going 20 on a country road and he was on my side in a curve. He knocked me out, broke my collar bone and three ribs. Bike repair was $3000 and the hospital and doctor bills were $5000. I was very lucky. Now I am 82 and it has been a great time and a great ride, and I loved it, but now it is time to sell the bike. Yep, I would do it all over again.

Let us know what you decide to do.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
At 56 I bought a used Harley Softail last summer after not riding in over 30 years, my first Harley. When I get out on the highway the this thing sounds like a bucket of bolts that's going to fly apart at any time, but I love it. No Regrets...

IMG_0859.jpg

·
Super Moderator
12,925 Posts
I've helped several old dudes complete a BRCu... you're not too old! As long as you can still ride a bicycle proficiently you'll probably be fine, and the t-dub is a great bike. If I didn't live in Houston I'd probably have one.

81 - 100 of 100 Posts