Marlin Firearms Forum banner

61 - 80 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
7,555 Posts
A slow cruze on rural roads is my favorite bike time. It's nice to enjoy the scenery the smell of the country without some idiot tailgating trying to get past on the first little bit of straight road they see. I've had my other bike since 1983 but there are no parts in NZ anymore.
View attachment 789917
Don't get me wrong, I do like speed too, but not on our roads anymore. My other boney is a Ducati Monster which I keep in our capital Pretoria. I go up there frequently on business and then at least I have wheels. It is also the only method of transport between Johannesburg and Pretoria that allows you to have meetings in both cities on the same day!
Riding there has become a suicide mission - so I am contemplating only using it on track days and extending my business trips to 3 days instead on one, and use UBER. .... but then, I would be in a constant bad mood and being in the twin cities would drive me to suicide anyway.... decisions, decisions, decisions!
:elefant::damnmate::elefant:
There truly is nothing better to settle the mind than a bike ride. Blows the cobwebs right out!

·
Registered
381 Posts
You are never to old to do anything, as long as you are healthy and start out in moderation. You start out easy and work your way up until you reach a level that you are comfortable with. Go for it while you still can, because one day you will look back and say, I could have, should have, but didn't because I thought I was to old.

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
You guys know he's already enjoying his TW 200 right? :burnout:
Nope, that was someone else.

I don't own a motorcycle and never have. Never drove one, either.

Reactions: cajun56 and Sambane

·
Registered
616 Posts
Nope, that was someone else.

I don't own a motorcycle and never have. Never drove one, either.
regardless of anything else, if you really want to ride, you should go for it. I can look back on over 50 years of hot rods and choppers first, then old bikes. would never change any of it. my 65 FLH has taken me from flordia to new Hampshire more than once. it is tearing me up to think of giving it up. it is worse out there now than ever, but don't let it stop you if you really want it.
Barry

·
Banned
4,647 Posts
regardless of anything else, if you really want to ride, you should go for it. I can look back on over 50 years of hot rods and choppers first, then old bikes. would never change any of it. my 65 FLH has taken me from flordia to new Hampshire more than once. it is tearing me up to think of giving it up. it is worse out there now than ever, but don't let it stop you if you really want it.
Barry
Ooo, you're going to be selling a '65 Pan??

·
Registered
616 Posts
Ooo, you're going to be selling a '65 Pan??
I hate to think too much on it, but some health issues might get me to do it, after it being my main ride for at least the last 35 years. and I have a 63 servicar to think about too. cannot dump too much on the family, when the time comes they will have enough with the guns and stuff.
Barry

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
First off I understand your desire to ride and commend learning a new hobby for fun. That said I can not emphasize enough to learn in a controlled environment from trained instructors. As others have suggested MSF classes and the Harley basic rider course are great places to begin. Either one will have trained instructors who have taught beginners in your age and skill bracket. This type of easing into riding will give you the defensive mindset needed as well as enough of a taste to let you know if you want to pursue riding further, as well as options as to what type and size of motorcycle you would likely prefer. Several years ago I taught the beginner rider course at a local Harley dealer and we definitely got some older beginners through it others decided it wasn't for them--but they at least tried chasing their dream and made an educated decision when deciding not to ride. If you do start riding advance rider courses are also available if desired. My own story of riding is about 35 years worth including a lot of years pushing a motor on duty. Retired now and still riding a Harley Ultra Classic and planning on several more years of the same.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Plus 3 on MSF, Motorcycle Safety Foundation. When I did it there were two courses: 1) on their bike, usually a 125-something then 2) on your bike. Life saving. They teach things that don't make sense until you try them:
- use more front brake than rear brake
- push on your left handle bar to go left (counter steering)
- yes, it's easy to bunny hop over a landscaping railroad tie even on a larger road bike
- ride invisible: you are invisible always, no-one can see you, have a plan for each intersection... what if that guy pulls in front of me, what exactly will I do? Think this way all the time.

It's really fun. It's life changing if something goes wrong, but if you wear protection and ride a bit paranoid the odds are with you. On 100+ degree days I still wore my helmet, leather jacket, long jeans, boots covering my ankles and leather gloves. What the heck, you're going to sweat anyway, ain't so bad! Be safe!

I envy you evaluating and choosing what bike to ride... so many choices. My choice was used BMW's, had both the "boxers", horizontally opposed jugs and the faster K-bike 4-banger. The smallish 650 boxer was my favorite to ride... light weight, low center of gravity, good in the twisties. No-one steals them, cops don't ticket you because you get the benefit of the doubt being a safely dressed guy on a quiet, slow by comparison motorcycle. With factory hard bags on the back you can carry anything (takedown carbines included) and in the case of an accident, the hard bags and the motor's jugs that stick out make you feel like you're in a cocoon of sorts. (Consider though: "laying down" a bike to slow down rarely works... leather, metal and skin slide faster/further than brakes and tires.)

When child number two came along, I sold my bikes, but I still dream of riding (literally!) and hope to get back to it someday. Best wishes and if you take the plunge, please take the MSF classes, all that are available.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I'm not a fan of motorcycles, I worked too many fatal accidents involving them. Besides, it sure seems like a good way to become an organ donor before my time...

·
Registered
590 Posts
Tw200 is a great idea. Bought a xt225 when 43, had years of seeing how fast a sport bike would go, got to old for that.
Riding a klx250s now exactly as you described, back roads and slow. Still fall off but doesn’t hurt so bad.
Gear up. Motorcross boots, helmet, gloves, shin guard's. You will fall, but life is short.

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
I'm not a fan of motorcycles, I worked too many fatal accidents involving them. Besides, it sure seems like a good way to become an organ donor before my time...
So - perhaps don't bother reading or posting on the "motorcycles" part of Marlin Owners?

The majority here ride with a passion, and have done so for decades. We accept the danger. This forum is really for folks who like motorcycles. K?

Happy to talk Marlins with you elsewhere on the forum though.

Regards, Guy

·
Registered
13,431 Posts
I knew two guys, both in excellent health, fairly athletic, looked good. Both married with kids. One stood up at home, and fell over dead, massive heart attack, he was muscular and did sports, played golf with my Dad. 39 years old. The other guy was my Dentist. Walked into work one day and keeled over, also 39.

Nobody ever knows when their time is. I think I'll keep riding, my organs are fine where they are.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I knew two guys, both in excellent health, fairly athletic, looked good. Both married with kids. One stood up at home, and fell over dead, massive heart attack, he was muscular and did sports, played golf with my Dad. 39 years old. The other guy was my Dentist. Walked into work one day and keeled over, also 39.

Nobody ever knows when their time is. I think I'll keep riding, my organs are fine where they are.
after everything in my life from the Army years, to many years on fast motorcycles and some hazardous work, I am convinced of what I have always believed, when your number comes up, well there is nothing you can do about it. if it isn't one thing that gets you it will be another. like you I have seen some real health fanatics die long time ago. don't know why I am still here at 71, since I have been on borrowed time since 1970 when I came home. but here I am. kind of scarred up but still here.
Barry

61 - 80 of 100 Posts