Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been playing with some loads for the 358 win and am having trouble reaching max loads, due to case capacity. I'm at work now, so I don't have the exact load info, but I'm using Imr4895,varget and Imr4064. I have about 100 of the old Hornady spire points. Some have suggested drop tubes. Do they work as advertised? Any suggestions on brand?

·
Premium Member
4,167 Posts
Yes they do work...designed to settle black powder in BP cases, I use mine for loading 40-65 w/BP. You can make your own useing a block of wood (for a stand) or buy one, or use a powder stand (Thats what I did) then use an alluminum arrow (or copper tube) put a funnel on the top. There you go! Works best w/BP and not really sure that one is needed for smokeless. You may want to try a differant powder. If the load will not fit, it's probably to much (un-safe) already!

·
Registered
320 Posts
I made one by reaming a taper in both end s of a piece of 1/2" OD stainless tubing, it fits perfectly in a Lee powder funnel. Be sure to use conductive material to avoid static.

You could also flare a piece of 3/8" OD copper tube to get the same effect.

I find it necessary with 375 Ruger and some 45-70 loads.

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
Made mine with a few pieces of wood, and an aluminum tube (got lots of it, PM if you need some)
Works well with all my 45-70 loads, packs both holy black & smokeless

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i do dump the powder in all at once, I will try the approach you mentioned. Plus, I may try to make my own drop tube. I knew there must be some examples of homemade drop tubes among this ingenious crowd ;D. That is why I asked ;D Thanks guys

·
Registered
440 Posts
wild willy said:
Are you dumping the powder in the funnel all at once .Try dumping the powder slowly out of the pan toward the top of the funnel.
+1 on this technique. I use it when trying to get a max load of LilGun in a Hornet case. If you dump it all at once, it overfills the case. But, if I trickle the powder out of the pan on to the side of the funnel, it tends to swirl down the funnel and drop into much less space in the case.
It does work better with an aluminum funnel than plastic.

Bob A

·
Administrator
23,807 Posts
BLC#2, W748, H335 all ball powders in the same burning rate area as 4895 or 4064 no drop tube required.

When I go to heavy loads and stick powder I keep a pencil handy to tap the side of the case to settle the powder below the mouth of the case. It would be nice if they made a short cut version of them two powders.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
BobA, if your concern with a plastic funnel is static electricity, here's a trick. Mix a dilute solution of dishwashing detergent, dip the plastic funnel in it & let it air-dry. The powder granules slide down the sides of the funnel like it's slicked up with MeGuire's Carnuba Wax! Now, that's IF all you have is a plastic funnel, of course. jd45

1 - 9 of 9 Posts