Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any tips for drilling the proper angle for the tang screw? I have brand new stock for my 336RC that has to be completely fitted.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts

It's simple if you have a drill press, do you have a drill press?
Simple job with the drill press but I wouldn't attempt it with a hand drill!

Reactions: glockmeister

·
Premium Member
10,997 Posts
Drill Press is NEEDED..........

Front to Back Measurments:

On the Existing Stock, measure from the center of the top hole to the front top corner of the stock wrist where it meets the receiver. Mark that same dim off on the NEW stock in the same manner.

Then, On the Existing Stock again, measure from the center of the bottom hole to the front bottom corner of the stock. Mark that dim off on the NEW stock in the same manner.

It may help to insert a drill bit snuggly into the hole for measurment purposes.......But make sure you measure to the CENTER of the drill!

Once you have both upper and lower dimensions marked, RE- check them!

Side to Side Measurments

Use the inletting as your guide, and position the new hole central to the inletting.

Now draw a pencil line, or use a piece of marking string, connect the upper and lower center points............ Position the stock in a vise under the drill press so that the connecting line is (vertically) in line with the drill bit. (Use the tilting table of the Drill Press) .

Be sure to check squareness of the setup both fore and aft, and accross the work. Adjust the vise/setup accordingly.....

That should be all you need to do.

Hope this helps you,

Tom

·
Premium Member
10,997 Posts
Everyone has a drill press, a belt/disc sander, a table saw, and a grinder. It's the law :) Kinda like having a 4WD pickup or jeep.

Yeah!..............Whut he said !!!.................:flute:

Tom

Reactions: glockmeister

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there Ds73 -- A drill press makes the whole operation much simpler. If you fit the stock to the tangs first, you can save some of the precise measuring that Tomray mentions.

With the stock between the tangs: Mark the top hole with a center punch in the center of the tang screw hole. Mark the bottom hole (lower tang) the same way.

Set up a pointed auxiliary center on the press table directly below the chucked drill bit center. Put the center punched lower tang mark on this center. Secure the stock so the drill bit enters the center of the upper punched mark. Support the stock in this position and drill 98% through the stock. Remove the stock and finish the last of the hole by hand.

The picture is of a long stock hole on a project here, but hopefully with the super-imposed stock diagram it will help clarify the process.

View attachment 96446

Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind

·
Premium Member
10,997 Posts
Hey there Ds73 -- A drill press makes the whole operation much simpler. If you fit the stock to the tangs first, you can save some of the precise measuring that Tomray mentions.

With the stock between the tangs: Mark the top hole with a center punch in the center of the tang screw hole. Mark the bottom hole (lower tang) the same way.

Set up a pointed auxiliary center on the press table directly below the chucked drill bit center. Put the center punched lower tang mark on this center. Secure the stock so the drill bit enters the center of the upper punched mark. Support the stock in this position and drill 98% through the stock. Remove the stock and finish the last of the hole by hand.

The picture is of a long stock hole on a project here, but hopefully with the super-imposed stock diagram it will help clarify the process.

View attachment 96446

Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind
Good Info....And here I thought you only had big dog and a woodstove in that shop!.............:biggrin:

Tom

·
Registered
376 Posts
I would get a transfer punch, much more accurate than a center punch. At least for me, I know some of you old Pros can do dead center with a center punch.

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts
Okay I'll make it simple.

Clamp the action in a soft jawed vise to eliminate marks.

Put it on your drill press.

Find the proper sized drill that will fit through the threads in the lower tang.

Chuck that drill in your drill chuck on the press.

Now line up the upper and lower tang holes with the drill.

Clamp the vise tight.

Clamp the vise down.

Make up a screw jack from a piece of 1/2 inch threaded rod and nuts, support the lower tang with this You may need spacers for this.
I have a full set of adjustable supports with steps in them.

Check the depth to just short of the lower tang.

Set your depth stop just short of the lower tang, you don't want to touch them threads with a spinning drill going through wood.

Remove the drill and replace it with a body size drill that will be near the upper tangs opening screw hole.

Insert the stock carefully so you don't misalign the tangs.

Clamp the tangs to secure the wood.

Drill very slowly till you get to the stop.

Insert a 1/8 drill and very slowly drill the hole through.

Remove the stock and see if the hole is centered or close to it. It should be.

Now take out your hand drill and increase the hole one size at a time until it is just over the size of the body of the screw.

Hopefully your fitted stock does not need anymore depth adjustment but if it does the hole may have to go a little larger.

Check your work by inserting the tang screw and see if it retains the stock.

Good luck.

Bottom line I would have done this job on my milling machine, (adjustable bed)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts