Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided I needed a butt cuff (we really need to come up with a better name for this) for my 336 in .35 Rem so I set about the task of making one. It was much more labor intensive than I would have thought but I'm very happy with the end result. Having never owned a one of these for any rifle I wasn't exactly sure how the cartridge loops were made so I kind of decided to wing it and see how it worked out. I ended up cutting 6 slots in the cuff and running the loop strap through the slots gluing and stitching on both sides of each loop. I like the cleaner look of the strap material being attached to the back side of the cuff over the stitch the loop to the front method. Sorry the pictures came out kind of crappy but all I had handy was my cell phone. In any event this is what the well dressed 336 is wearing these days:

Hope you guys like it,

Stu

·
Registered
736 Posts
I like it.
I think Marlins and leather just go together!

Reactions: Stu925

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Leather Sure Looks Better than Nylon:shot:
Looks Good,
UncleSarge58

·
Super Moderator
7,969 Posts
I think they look kinda ugly, and unnecessary when hunting, as what is already in the mag. should be ample for the average shooter...however, you have done a good job on it.
I don't use them for extra rounds, I use them to store my ammo during hunting season. Grab the gun case and go!

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Good Job! :congrats:

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Lookin' good Stu!

·
Registered
634 Posts
Very nicely done! I have had problems with other leather cartridge holders when I leave the rounds in the loops for an extended period of time....like months +. You might think about keeping the cartridges out of the cuff until you need to use the rifle.

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The idea of putting the rear most lace behind the dling swivel is a good one I'll have to do that. Thanks for the idea.

As for carrying extra ammo, I always have extra ammo with me, it's just a habit I picked up hunting with my father. It's very rare for me to require more than one shot but I always top off the mag after any round is fired. Just a habit I got into years ago although I will probably use the cuff the same as starrbow and leave the extra ammo in my pack. In any event I did it more because I like the look of it than for any practical reason although it should be pretty convenient to have the ammo right there at all times when carrying the rifle around.

I too have had issues with leaving cartridges in leather for any amount of time. I don't plan on leaving cartridges in the loop during storage as I can't stand my ammo being turned green. I spend way too much time on case prep to have those cases turn green because I left them in the leather.

Thanks for all the input and I'm glad you guys like it.

Stu

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Yea Buddy, That is real nice. Thanks for sharing with us.

Enjoy the Journey
444GS2

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.