Marlin Firearms Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
I had those flashback dreams for years, bad enough my wife moved to another bedroom so she could sleep without fear of being hit or waking to screams. If you are going to the VA check with your provider about prazosin hcl. This slowed my dreaming to almost nonexistent. Its been 50 years and I can stay in the bed and not wake up against a wall or on the floor, much less shouting and fighting. I have a very patient and Christian wife who stayed the course with me and between the two I am doing much better. 49 years this October 31. trick or treat...
Thank you for answering the call………

Took me years to figure out why my grandfather did things certain ways. It was to protect us from him. Today now I understand a bit better I use my memory of him to judge others today.

He was in the South Pacific in ww2. If you had to wake him and he didn’t wake when you quietly said his name then you just touched his foot from as far away a s you could reach.

As the years have gone by and I continue to learn little tidbits of what he went through I understand my memory of him better.

As he got older and came to terms with his experiences he became easier to be around.

This is the best I can do in writing.

God bless you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
Yes I do, very much so. Have done for over thirty years. I dont need to go into detail, but I have enough reasons. Now, how to fix it. I developed a couple of my own tecniques. One I put into a short book which is still available on Amazon, PM me if you want to know the name. Its written for kids but works for adults. Okay, two tecniques.

One is a simple one. A glass of water. Lay in bed and visualise a glass of water, cool, clear and maybe some droplets on the outside. Focus on it, concentrate on it. Maybe move around it, visually in your head. Think only about the glass of water, nothing else, for as long as you can.

Number two, my favourite and it still works today, mostly. Lay down close your eyes. Imagine your somewhere else. In a tent, listen to the sounds of the wind in the trees, recall setting up for the night. Maybe you can hear some rain drops on the canvas. The tent is an option, you could be in a cabin, on a ship, listen for the water slapping against the hull. In short, you go somewhere else in you imagination.

What makes this work better is repeating the same one each night. I have a favourite and its an air mission. I imagine I am on a plane, a large plane and on a photo mission. I imagine my job is taking the shots, and thus get to take a sleep for a few hours in the rest bed. Imagine the noise of the aircraft, sometimes a crew member passing by. Its all imagination and its down to you.

In effect, bad memories or thoughts that we are so vulnerable too in the quiet empty night cant get in, because the space is taken. It doesnt always work and practice makes it work better.

I did a course in hypnotherapy many years back, and I sort of borrow from that. Its not hypnotisum, its just redirecting the mind.

If it helps others, I also have a daytime tecnique for memories you dont want. I call it 'take a left'. The moment you feel a bad memory coming on, triggered by a smell, noise, maybe music you flip to a practiced memory thats harmless. Rather like, seeing a bad thing ahead, so you 'take a left turn'. Use the same memory every time, a good one. A day at the beach with the family for instance. It becomes your 'go to' memory.

Hope some of this helps someone out there in Marlin land.

·
Super Moderator
10,020 Posts
Bottom line is Biden/Kamala is driving common sense folks to drink !

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Bringing this back to life. I've fought nocturnal battles and such for years. Decades now that I think about it.

One thing I've found that really helps with my sleep quality is ZMA; see article at link. It take it about an hour before I plan to be asleep. Warning, if you haven't slept well for quite some time, you may find yourself in a morning fog for a week-two as your body makes up for lost sleep. Nothing coffee didn't take care of for me. To prove to myself it was/is really working, I have stopped taking it several times, and each time my sleep quality degrades after about a week/10 days. I take it every night now. Per the article, I don't catch every sickness that comes along, and at 50+ I don't need no little blue pills. I'm usually out somewhere around 8:30-9:00 and wake up somewhere around 5:00, often before my alarm goes off. Yeah, I might get up once to pee once, but that is self-inflicted in that I stay well hydrated. YMMV.

Like tranteruk, I've come up with other mechanisms for really bad times/nights. At times, I just need to go "drill sergeant" on myself inside my head and snap myself out of it. While that sounds like it might be more stressful, it breaks the cycle. I also have a few personally developed mantras where I just silently repeat certain words that have a calming effect on me and drift back to sleep. Take slow, deep breaths and let 'em out even slower. For those heart-pounders that snap me awake, if all above doesn't work, I play solitaire on my cell phone until I can't keep my eyes open. I find the distraction helps. FWIW, it has been my experience that my worst nights have been when I've skipped the ZMA for a night, or not taken it for a while. Again, YMMV, but it seems to work for me. Even if it's just placebo effect, I'm staying with it.

You guys hang in there, and here's that article. You can get ZMA at any place that sells supplements. GNC, Vitamin Shoppe, etc.

Reactions: br549arkie
21 - 25 of 25 Posts