Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since this is the reloading forum I'll ask here, but it might get more attention over on the Express forum. My love of the 308MX held out this weekend as I bought a second gun, this time for my 11 year old son. While he can fire full loads from it, I want to develop a practice load. The chamber is not conducive (at this time) to any current cast offerings, so I am bent on finding a load for my son to practice with. I've got the 100gr. half jackets from Hornady and some 125gr. Sierra HP, and 130gr. Speer. I want to make a few plinkers and perused and remembered I could take any Hodgdon load with H4895 (there is available data with the 125gr), take the max H4895 load and take that same bullet with 60% of the powder or more to get a practice load. I came up with a number and increased it a bit to make sure it was stable. this gave me 30 to 32gr. I'm sure that'll work, but wondered, since I was currently out of the H4895, if anyone was brave enough to use H4198. There is no data on this bullet with Hodgdon and the 308MX, but there is a plethroa of it in the 308 Win, 300 Savage and 30-30, which are semi close to the same curves. I was thinking about working up from 26gr. Sound crazy to anyone? The 300 Savage starts with 32gr.,and I doubt I want it going that fast. I've used H4198 up and down the spectrum with pretty good consistency before. (especially with the 30-30. I just don't want another 1# of powder... Incidentally, the 26gr. is the Max in the 30-30. I'm thinking 28 or 30 would be a good area to work towards.

·
Premium Member
5,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He is making a new boolit as we speak. Or rather he is waiting on Lee as we speak. I've got 1000 of the Ranch dog 308's sized, lubed and ready to go. Maybe I just need to play with them. Didn't you say it didn't work so well? The neck is so short this boolit gets a little burned...

I think I've got some little Lee 115gr. Soup Cans. That won't go down below the neck. Maybe that's what i'll play with...

·
Premium Member
5,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mr. Jack shot a 2.6 inch group that really would have been less if we'd not counted a flyer with this gun (and your scope) and 41.5gr. of leverevolution.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.