Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday was opening day for dove season in North Carolina. I met one of my fellow officer's after working all night. We have been procrastinating and did not secure a place to hunt, so we drove around looking for a picked corn field with hunter's seeking permission to join the hunt. Man did we ever get lucky. First fellow we ran into happened to be the owner of the farm. I mentioned after getting an invite to hunt for the day about a farm in the area that issued hunting passes for bird hunting. He said that's me. He issued passes for me and my buddy for $20.00. He told us that he had about 3000 acres to hunt on. He told us the pass was good for the first dove season and that if he had no complaints of us as guest that he would extend the permission passes and that they had a few hunters that liked to Goose and Swan hunt on the property and that his fields held large quantities of both during the season. We asked if he had any property that we might deer hunt on and he said yes. He then said we can talk later but could you just please go over there and help us keep these birds moving. My friend and I had a great day. Both of us using new guns. Mine was a Tri-Star over and under his a little 20 ga Weatherby. We both got our limits but both of us took a box of shells to do it. It was great to hunt dove again. Its been 4 years for me and 15 for him. We are going again this morning so BYE.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Dove just opened here too. Never tried dove and we have only had a season for them for a couple years. Gonna have to get out and try some ASAP.

·
Registered
20,518 Posts
Sounds like y'a might have just found the diamond in the rough!:tee:

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cgollins, I met a young waterfowl guide named Collins in Williamston NC. around about 2001. I had a booth at a deer and waterfowl expose at the huge Agriculture center. He had a booth also and was advertising his guide service. At the time I was promoting the Currituck Waterfowl Association and North East Waterfowl Association. South Carolina Waterfowl Association had been trying to get me too start the NC Waterfowl Association but at the time I couldn't make the time, however when I freed my self up another group had just started NC Waterfowl Association. So I decided to start a North East Association but never got enough interest. Was that you.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
That's interesting. Waterfowl hunting is my true passion, and back around 2001 I was hunting ducks and geese about 5 mornings a week... but I've never guided, and live in eastern virginia. I used to hunt Down East, but those days appear to be in my past...

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cgcollins, funny how a few words can jog a fellows memory. Down East Guide Service was what he called his business I believe. He specialized in Sea Duck hunting. I grew up duck hunting started at age 7. By the time I was 12 I guided during the winter to help make money. I couldn't miss school for any other reason, so I went to school many times pretty sick. I haven't duck hunted in years because its easy to get in trouble. Had a few instances where jealous people would bait my blinds trying to get me in trouble. When your in law enforcement if you get caught shooting over bait like that you will loose your job. I got a ticket once for shooting over bait in a dove field. I escaped the ticket with a plea bargain for shooting an unplugged gun. My gun was plugged but the Game warden's new that me and the other hunter's where not deliberately trying to bait. One of those political jealousy things. We volunteered to much information as how we planted our sunflower crop. In our area sunflower's are planted in May and they are drilled in as standard agriculture practices. We had disked the field and used a VICON seeder to put the seeds out then they were discs back in. Neighboring guides where un happy that we where pulling birds from their fields where they had their waterfowl lodge members hunting that day.. That year we had either a early hurricane or bad North Easter that washed our crop out so we has to replanted and that how the game wardens were able to call it baiting. The people that complained did so because of unrest directly due to the Currituck Waterfowl Association. Most of the people hunting that field where the founding patrons of the Association. Jealousy is an ugly thing.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yesterday I used my new Tri-Star 12 ga. O/U to shoot doves. It took me a half of a box before I started connecting with the birds. The stock is a little long I figured. This morning I gave my my Browning A-5 a whirl. My Father and I got it last winter at a good price because the barrel had been cut down to 22 inches. I started hitting right off the bat. You just can't beat a gun that you are familiar with. I grew up shooting A-5's and have bought a lot of oher shotguns in the past but I have always shot better with the A-5's. I shot 3 for 3 and hope to get my limit this evening. Man its hot here in NC.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Just got back from my lunchtime hunt. Saw about 100 birds in a cutover with a power line through it last week. Sat out there for a while today and saw 1 bird. 1:00 probably wasn't the best time to be there, but that was all I could do. Good luck this evening.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
You sure are right about duck hunting. It seems to bring out the worst in some people. Blind laws, landowners, non-riparian owners, baiting, silly laws, species-specific limits, sky busting and limited ducks in our area make for a pretty toxic brew. I certainly don't go near any public waters...sticking to a marsh I own and private flooded timber keeps me away from most of the controversy.

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
I think ours in SC opens shortly. I'm lucky, to have invites to a couple good spots, problem is the shrimp seem to appear right around the opening, too. Oh well. Sounds like you had a good hunt, hope it holds up for you. I like to take my golden along, he loves to run down cripples.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts