Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been checking out the wheat stubble fields and I have seen a extremely large population of doves feeding in them. It is super dry here so it these fields don't get overgrown with weeds it should be a great season. Anyone else out there scoped out their fields?

·
Registered
201 Posts
We have a very large number of doves here in central ks as well and should be a great year, that being said we've been very fortunate to have gotten some good rain lately and there will be plenty of water holes around. Not trying to rub it in I Know you guys have been very dry and feel very bad for all your farmers and ranchers in the area.

Ross

·
Registered
970 Posts
I've never been a bird hunter, outside of occasionally Turkey, but since I picked up an O/U back in March I've been having an itch to hunt something with it. Hmm...I hadn't thought about doves.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Doves are good eating, but for the novice shooter, gets a little expensive per pound. New shooters take 1 box per dove you expect to hit. LOL.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Doves are good eating, but for the novice shooter, gets a little expensive per pound. New shooters take 1 box per dove you expect to hit. LOL.
I wouldn't be expecting much.

There's a range nearby that has a trap class that I want to take but currently I can't make the evenings.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
One of my favorite game birds. Use to hunt them a lot with my Irish Setter who was a great retriever. Always had a small pond to shoot them as they came for grit and water. Best year I ever had was 3 shells for one dove. Thanks for bringing back those memories.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I do a field in front of my house every year. Corn-sunflowers and wheat are their favorites. Pics of this years field. Sunflowers will be burned. Corn bush hogged. Gaps between flowers and corn will be disc and to top sowed with wheat Oct.1st.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
25,367 Posts

well....what can I say???
I'm 47, been hunting every critter we got down here since 1978...
and out of 2 or 3 boxes of shells I may get 6 or 7.
I go out once or twice a year after dove...
But I'm really just getting ready for deer season and tired
of sitting in the house all summer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.