Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well fellas, with this whole COVID thing keeping the wife and I from traveling like we usually do in the Summer, I have found myself with more disposable income than usual as of late. I've been back and forth on a couple of different guns on my short list, most recently a SxS shotgun (apparently internal hammers and double triggers aren't very common options together anymore), but held off because I couldn't decide whether I wanted a 12 or 20 gauge.

So of course, I went in a completely different direction and just ordered a Henry Case Hardened 45-70. I've wanted a 45-70 for quite a while, and this model will be a good big brother to by Henry Case Hardened Big Boy Carbine .357 I got as my first lever gun.

The more I read about 45-70 the more impressed I am with it, not only because it's remained in fairly common use for nearly 150 years and made the successful transition from black to smokeless powder, but also the incredible flexibility you have in loading for it if you have a falling block or other rifle with a strong action. I don't reload at this moment, but after reading more about it, having a rifle in this caliber may just get me to start.

In the meantime, I am going to head over to the 45-70 subforum and see what other members' factory ammo preferences are.

·
Registered
19,670 Posts
Make sure to post some pics when you get her home!

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Look at CZ for your two trigger shotguns. They still sell them.

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
A 45-70 is the choice when you have to kill something BIG. Here in PA we primarily are hunting in Brush country. It is not uncommon for hunters killing a large black bear at close range. Bears are silent and can appear when you least expect it. Be ready.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everybody, I am pretty excited. Depending on how this goes I may end up getting a Henry X or Marlin Dark 45-70 for more rugged use so I don't mess up my pretty one. Of course, worn and cared for guns have a romance of their own.

Make sure to post some pics when you get her home!
Will do! Probably next to its little brother. I have the case hardened large loop lever on the way in the mail, along with another Montana sling too so they'll match. Honestly for the extra $35 the case hardened levers cost compared to the blued ones, I'd kinda prefer if the case hardened models just came with the case hardened levers and they raised the price by $35 or whatever. I suppose it matches the barrel, but the blued levers still seem out of place to me.

I guess it never hurts to have a spare.

Look at CZ for your two trigger shotguns. They still sell them.
Haha, you read my mind-I was looking at the CZ Bobwhite G2. Now that all of the more modern/tactical/whatever you want to call them guns are so hard to find, it is a good time to catch up on buying the more classically designed ones I want. Maybe it'll be next.

With the 45-70 lever rifle, you can get all the power your shoulder can handle.

Good choice on the Henry. Pics when you get it.
We will see. My fully rifled 12 ga slug barrel with 1 3/8 oz slugs was plenty for me. I'm not great at math but Google tells me that's around a 602gr projectile weight at a similar velocity so I believe it will be about the same as some of the heavier 45-70 loads-I think the Henry weighs a little more though.

I don't plan on scoping this so I expect it will sight in faster than the slug barrel did. That thing killed 3 scopes before I broke down and bought an Aimpoint for it.

A 45-70 is the choice when you have to kill something BIG. Here in PA we primarily are hunting in Brush country. It is not uncommon for hunters killing a large black bear at close range. Bears are silent and can appear when you least expect it. Be ready.
I like variety in my gun safe, but this will be my biggest rifle with the .35 Rem I have going to second place. There aren't a ton of opportunities for long shots here in the Ozarks (or rather, most long distance shots can be shortened due to the terrain if you move towards the target the right way), so 45-70s seem fairly popular here for deer. At least I know a couple of guys with them here, and I never met anybody with one before moving here.

I think they have some bears here, I know there are Puma, and the dept of Conservation is starting up an elk hunting season since their reintroduction has been successful. I always figured I'd use a 7mm or .300 mag for elk though. Guess I need more guns!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts