Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Father and I went to Mackey's Gun Store in Jamesville NC. today. This store is massive and has more than a thousand guns in it. If anyone wants to compare different guns this is the place to go. They have their guns catorigized by make and caliber used and new. It takes hours to see them all. We bought a Browning A-5, but while I was there I went down the SXS isle. Pappy saw a Stoeger coach gun he liked. I thought he was going to get it, but he said we will save it for another days outing. I saw some mighty fine doubles. I have been wanting a coach gun for the house but would also like a nice twenty with longer barrels for hunting. I saw one of the old Charles Daly that was in mint condition. I think possibly as old as 1960 or so. It was a 12 ga. with what appeared to be 26 or 28 inch barrels. They were asking around 750 for it. Dad saw a 410 double he like but I told him the ammo was around $20.00 a box. He said you've got to be kidding and I told him the stuff was ten dollars a box about 7 years ago. He said DAMN THAT oboma. I have been checking out doubles for a while and none of them are cheap. $800.00 for a decent one. The CZ Ringneck seems to be a nice one but I think I would buy something like that Daly I saw or a used Browning or SKB. Does anyone know if the CZ's have real Bone Case Hardening finish. Their case finishes look like the real thing instead of the fake stuff on most doubles today.

·
Registered
7,734 Posts
My last double purchase was an Ithaca in 20g from 1922. I found it at a show from a Michigan dealer. It was in great shape, I love the lines and the weight. It is 26" choked cylinder and improved cylinder. I got it for NC quail. Someday...

Anyway, my Ithaca was $800. If you're already looking in that price range, you might want to consider one of the older doubles.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Have a CZ SxS Bobwhite 16ga and a SxS Ringneck 12 (my deer drive gun), both I'm certain have chemically applied case hardening. Have a Ithaca/SKB Model 100 SxS 20ga, which is my favorite for upland hunting and sporting clays. Had a Bobwhite 20ga for awhile, nice gun. The two 20ga SxS handled about the same, felt about the same, of course the SKB is finer made.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Buying a good SXS is tricky. Alot of manufactures Like Browning,Savage,Ithaca,Beretta and others actually imported guns from Spain,Italy and Turkey. I have heard that the older Charles Daly and SKB'S were very well made. I don't know what years of manufacture and what factory's actually made them. Doing my research now and hope to find a good one when I do make a purchase. Our fellow member Deerhog recently sold a really nice Stevens SXS. He PM'ed a while back about it but I never got to see pics and I got something else. He sure had a beautiful gun and a very good price. Every time I see a good deal I am broke or a day late. I missed out on a Noble Arms SXS that I wish now that I had bought. After researching I found it was a decent gun and a good price. I'm just glad I didn't miss out on the Browning A-5 I saw 2 weeks ago. My Father bought it for me today.

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
I've used the wife's uncle's 311 side by side in .410 a couple of times for grouse, theose are sweet little shotties!

Nothing like a side by side for bird hunting for me. Besides my old single shot, it's all I've ever used.

·
Premium Member
8,044 Posts
yes I frequent that store occaisionally but you have to pick through and inspect the used guns. they also used to have some nice 50 bmg's there as well as a whole assortement of contender stuff.

·
Registered
8,280 Posts
I shoot the Ringneck in 20 guage and it is Dr. Death on doves, it shoots really tight patterns. I own half interest in a Parker VHE around 90%, really nice and have a Lefever Nitro 20 guage made in 1931 that is practically new. I usually shoot a Benelli M2 20 guage on doves but this year I used the Ringneck and pefer it over the Benelli. I shoot a mod and mod choke.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I have a Charles Daly 500 sxs 12ga with 26" barrels. Other than the double triggers, it's remarkably like a browning BSS. I also have a Zoli Vulcano. It's an older sidelock gun and exceptionally we'll made. Both picked up off the local dealers used gun rack. It takes a lot of looking to find an affordable sxs that's actually a quality piece, but with patience it can be done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.