Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off......Yes I know that I have a better chance of getting struck by lightning, than getting attacked by a bear, wolf, lion, beaver, javelina, zombie, methhead etc, but the boy scout motto of being prepared has stuck with me since my early years.

I carry a 1911 LW commander off duty and have for 25 years so when I started pondering a sidearm to carry in the woods I wanted to stay with the 1911 platform. In 2012 I carried a full size Colt Delta Elite with 200 gr hard cast at 1175 fps when I went to Idaho. I liked everything about it except the weight of the gun. After searching for a lighter version I decided to build what I want and I currently have a gunsmith in VA building me a LW commander in 10mm based on the above round. It is not done yet so I started looking for a good 45acp round for this year's trip. I think I found just what I was looking for.

I ordered a box of Double Tap 45 acp 255gr hard cast and did some penetration, chrony work with them today. I have heard mixed reviews about the DT velocity being less than advertised. That has NOT been the case with the 10mm stuff I have used from them. Today was my first experience with the 45 acp round. I shot them into fresh cut poplar board fencing and also a line of 1 gallon water jugs. I shot them across the chrony and also for groups. I was impressed at every stop today.

The ammo is advertised to shoot 875 through a 5 inch barrel. I shot 19 rounds total (from a 4.25" LW commander) across the chrony and averaged 856 fps. The rounds grouped very well at 10 yards.

I then stacked up some poplar board fence. The boards still have plenty of moisture and are a full 1 inch thick. I shot these boards with the muzzle 24 inches from the first board. The round penetrated completely through the first three and stop at the halfway point in board number four.

I then lined up 11 1 gallon water jugs. Muzzle distance to the first jug was 24 inches. The round penetrated and stopped in the 10th jug. Measured at a full 58" penetration.

Hard cast it is. I dug bullets out of the dirt, the boards, and the 10th jug. I think I could have reloaded them and shot them again. NO deformation....NONE except for some scarring by my pliars getting the bullet out of the wood.

Yes I know there are more powerful zombie killers a guy can carry, but I am not interested in a revolver of any sort, regardless of barrel length, weight, etc.

pics to feed the addiction.......

. IMG_20140920_104838_858.jpg IMG_20140920_104813_715.jpg IMG_20140920_183001_076.jpg IMG_20140920_182919_778.jpg

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Nothing like a good heavy 45 ACP load. If they went that fast from a Commander, they would be hitting or breaking 900 from a full size gun. Years back, cant recall if it was Sierra or Speer had some 260 grain soft point bullets for the 45. I played with some then, no chrono on hand, but they were a handful recoil wise. Those must bounce to some degree in a LW commander. Even with mil spec 230s, a LW Commander bounces quite a bit more than a full size GM.

My retired SEAL buddy, has some of those 225 HP loads for the HK Socom pistol. He shoots them on rare occasion in his GM, but admits they have to a bit hard on the gun, as if memory serves, they are zipping along at around 1100 or so. The Socom pistol is a much more robust pistol, than the 1911 as you know.

A lot of guys dont realize, that in a softball target gun, it uses not only a lighter recoil spring, but a lighter main spring as well to help function the target velocity and lighter bullet ammo. I have a carry LWComm in 45, and use a heavy main spring, as well as the 22 lb recoil spring. Some guys like those buffers too. But I never had any luck fitting one into a gun, without having to clip the spring a like amount, which seems contrary to sense?

·
Registered
79 Posts
aint no replacement for a good ol lead slug :marchmellow:

very cool. i love seeing tests like that. i use buffalo bore. but ill shoot anything on hand for the sheer joy of shooting a 45acp.

if you like the round, shoot it. if someone gripes about the round. offer to put one in their foot and ask if theirs hurts less....or sumthin like that.

how much a round?

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I never run a shock buff of any kind. My PD issued 45acp is Speer LE 230 gr GDHP. It is a stout round but less recoil than the 255 +P stuff I was shooting today. I am running a Wilson 20# recoil spring as well.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
too much......42.50 for 50 rounds. If this Double Tap stuff didn't work out I was going to buy a box of the BB to try. I have heard good things about it also.
If I ever have a need for this stuff again i will most likely buy the bullet from BTB and load my own.

aint no replacement for a good ol lead slug :marchmellow:

very cool. i love seeing tests like that. i use buffalo bore. but ill shoot anything on hand for the sheer joy of shooting a 45acp.

if you like the round, shoot it. if someone gripes about the round. offer to put one in their foot and ask if theirs hurts less....or sumthin like that.

how much a round?

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I shot them out of both pistols shown in the pics. The full size commander has been worked over by Chuck Rogers and will feed anything you stick in it. The Colt CCO pictured is bone stock with a NM barrel. It fed them perfectly as well. Recoil is stout but completely manageable.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
I would wager a guess, about 90% of hang ups in a 1911 gun, that is well tuned, lie simply in the fact that most guys shoot reloads. We rarely sort the brass rarely try them in a chamber gage, rarely measure each and every round, rarely visually inspect every single detail.

But I have noticed as well, a gun will shoot and shoot in practice, and never ever hang up, and in a match, especially if I am shooting well, it will bobble.:hmmmm:

On the other hand, with perhaps a dozen or so GM owned in the past, from clunker guns, to pistols built by name brand smiths, I am not sure I have ever had one, that didnt do the bobble somewhere along the line.

But again, I cant afford factory ammo.

The only two pistols I have ever owned, that I cant recall a hangup, both were Browning H P I only recently got a HP in 40, it sure carries fine.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Very nice! I load 255g cast in a long colt @ 900fps and I always thought it a good penetrating fist full of smashem. Doing the same thing in a 1911 - priceless!

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
Missouri bullets has some elmer keith 255 for a really good price. I'm gonna get some of those and work a load up for my 45

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Few 1911 platform pistols, function for sour owl manure with an actual Keith 45 Colt SWC. I am thinking if you examine the bullet from Double Tap there, and compare it to a Keith bullet, one will discover quite a bit of difference in the angles on the meplat.

Even at that, I would bet any one here, a lunch, that Double Tap gets a whole bunch of phone calls worth of complaints, on that particular ammo, and it turning the gun into a one shot pistol.

One is limited to the magazine length, and the heavy Keith bullets are noted for being long. It would leave the shoulder sticking out of the case, which can give fits with a tight chamber, and rifling leade.

Its certainly worth a try I guess, but from first hand experience, I advise trying maybe ten rounds for a test. Nothing worse than loading a hundred of any thing, that simply wont function.

As well, Wad cutter loads generally work best in the later design wad cutter type magazines, rather than the old type GI hardball magazines.

Reactions: bryan alder

·
Registered
661 Posts
I'm shooting a DW CBOB with fixed sights. I cast up some 245g (weighed on my scale) RNFP with a really big metplat.
I like 'em in the long colt, but I decided to use them in the acp. 5.3g W231 underneath, they cycled and functioned well indeed.
Only problem was the POI was too different from the sights for me to use them. I enjoy a cast 230g TC and it's real nice.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
A round nose flat point, is a bit different than than a "keith" bullet. The old classic 45 Colt bullet from eons back, would likely feed very well as long as they could be seated back enough to fit into the magazine.

They are I suspect very similar to what you are loading. I cast a similar bullet, 225 grains or so, nearly identical to a Hornaday FMC, looks a lot like a typical RN FMC, but flat on the front. They feed like a hungry baby as long as the barrel fits the frame of the gun correctly, but that goes for any bullet shape.

I have been tempted to try one of the lighter weight 160 SWC style molds, just for giggles, but at the price of a mold, I am not certain I need that many giggles.:biggrin:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts