Marlin Firearms Forum banner

double standard?

1K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  Drm50 
#1 ·
#2 ·
this stuff makes my blood boil.
if it were me or you behind the wheel crashing our car while drunk I know I would have got a new pair of bracelets and hauled off to the pokey. no if ands or buts

this deputy just got issued a citation, never heard of that before have you.

https://www.wate.com/news/local-news/kcso-releases-name-of-deputy-on-leave-following-dui-citation/
A citation, I presume, is like a 'Notice to Appear' that still gets you before the courts. Presumably there is enough evidence for the charge, they know exactly who the person is, the person has been reported to their superiors reference off duty DUI (our UIL); the end results should be the same. Here, drink driving is a 'simple offence' like a simple stealing; generally, for a simple offence you do not arrest, and send to a watchhouse, unless there are other circumstances, such as a MAJOR UIL where person is intoxicated, and a danger, or has a history of failing to appear.

Sounds like your system needs to move to more 'citations', and less arrest and convey to watchouse/prison!!

#6 ·
I know the law varies from state to state but as long as he is fired if convicted. I have never worked for a company that would put up with drinking on the job. Kudos to the officers that at least cited him. Seems to me that not long ago on this forum there was a post about an officer that past out drunk on the job and was just demoted.

#10 · (Edited)
If he was only cited, and not given a Breath-A-Lyzer, or drawn blood (major PIA to collect, preserve for trial...) there will be no evidence for trial unless they had convincing video. He will probably get off with a careless, or unlikely, reckless driving. Nepotism can create all kinds of all kinds of problems.

Seen it before too many times.

AC

#12 ·
Some states, so I understand, will jail you for a traffic fine. Just glad he was cited.
Had a local case where a drunk county commissioner was driven home by local cops, no citation.
From what cops have told me that is the norm. Cops speeding get free pass. DUI no wreck/injury, taken home, no citation.
Bet the cop in Altanta wishes he had extended the same courtesy to that drunk idiot.

#14 ·
when I was young if you got drunk & sw a cop you told him you were drunk he would take you home or to a friends house, now they will take you to jail do not pass go & do not collect $200.

#16 ·
Part of the reason is civil liability. Officers have cut someone a break on a suspected DUI and the driver, drunk, is involved in a serious injury or fatal accident and the ones most affected sue and say, "If you'd arrested him or her, then this wouldn't have happened. We had a legal update class and were told it was on us if we didn't arrest. I arrested 1 guy twice in one night for DUI. Pulled him over for erratic driving, smelled alcohol and you know the rest of the story. Took him to jail, he bonded out and someone took him to where his car was parked, he go in, took off and created a serious crash. Naturally he wasn't hurt, rinse, lather and repeat. He bonded out again, but the car was damaged, yet drivable. I had it towed and impounded. I put him and his car in jail...idiot got himself killed in a crash in Texas, you guessed it, drunk again...

Reactions: gunscrewguy
#15 · (Edited)
this stuff makes my blood boil.
if it were me or you behind the wheel crashing our car while drunk I know I would have got a new pair of bracelets and hauled off to the pokey. no if ands or buts

this deputy just got issued a citation, never heard of that before have you.

https://www.wate.com/news/local-news/kcso-releases-name-of-deputy-on-leave-following-dui-citation/
The only reason(s) I can think of for the deputy to not go to jail is because the jail is only accepting violent crime suspects. Here, deputy, police officer, what have you, it is a quick trip straight to booking and then jail. My opinion, there's no excuse.

On duty, off duty, the deputy knew better and rightfully so is held to a higher standard. He'll likely lose his job and whatever happens or doesn't happen in court. I know a number of LEO's who've lost their certifications because of a DUI, even if found not guilty in court or the administrative driver's license hearing.

Reactions: gunscrewguy
#17 ·
Part of the problem is that if you rat on fellow officer/deputy they may not be around or slow to save your butt when your up to your neck in an agitated mob tugging at your holster.

Been there, seen it more than once. The only cop whose career I destroyed was cop who assassinated another cop. I got the case and solved it. He spent 20 years in the joint and was still let out.

AC

#18 ·
Here again, no body has a clue .........why? Because there is no information other than the news relating a 'citation' which is pretty much what we all get here in this United States of America for DUI, you, me, your grandmother. .............

Mostly, you are detained for 5 hours. Theoretically you are 'safe' to care for yourself then. Actually liability, as many times you, or your wife, will try to suit the department when you take the citation and head back to the bar causing more chaos or go home and beat her up.

Booking time (release) may very with each jurisdiction. They may not see you as a priority as they have their hands full processing other really wonderful nice (but he was a good boy) citizens. If there are extenuating circumstances, warrant or like those times when you think you can whoop those not to happy young jail deputies who don't really want to be there but it's part of their required training, correct that really stupid notion of yours, .........then, it may just take 3 days.

The Officer above was rewarded with a citation .........no need to repeat, or would you like a shot at him yourself. If he was cited for DUI, then there is evidence to back it. Was he booked/ detained at the substation (like you would most likely be) ...........most likely. But we don't know the facts because we don't know feces other than he was given a citation and his superiors suspended him until further investigation.

Think he is out of a job? ...............most likely.

Colorado? ..............oh well, sorry.

By the way ...........what are y'all do'n to help with all these rioters, people looting, tearing down our historical monuments, that trash beat'n up that elderly old women, you know ....like your own mother. You ain't under no restriction, orders from a supervisor, some mayor to stand down.

Right ..................not a damned thing.

#19 · (Edited)
Cops always cover for each other but so do guys on same crew in factories, on same team, ect- ect. It’s how things have always been. It ain’t no big deal as long as nobodies hurt.

How about the 92 year old woman who was shoved down by one of our fine minority gentlemen.
Not to mention the guy is a sex offender. How many times have you seen this story on Networks.
There was absolutely no reason for this attack. Old lady has lived in neighborhood for years and now she is afraid to go out by herself. This is a failure of authorities to protect the citizens. Not this one episode but the non enforcement of law. The other day a 72 yr old activist got pushed and fell while he attempted to hassle police. The Networks have worn out this video. I got news, that 72 year old is one of the protesters from the 60s that has decided to relive his glory days. He might have been one who spit on me back then. I would have kicked him in the head while he was down. These people make me sick at my stomach. I hope they keep pushing until this blows up in their face.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.