Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello everyone, this is my first post, i've been reading threads here for a while and absorbing as much knowledge as i can since i dont know much about lever guns.

About half an hour ago my alarm went off downstairs and i rushed to the closet to grab the guide gun and some hornady leverevolution ammo. Loaded 3 in the mag, Ran the lever and waited a bit upstairs waiting to hear some noise from below. Long story short it was the window that blew open with the storm we're having here. so i settled down and proceeded to unload the weapon.
I must have done something wrong because the chambered round ejected but the one leaving the mag tube failed to do so completely, and the gun jammed. I ended up having to pull the lever screw, remove the lever, then the bolt and pried the cartridge out with a screwdriver.
Now, i recognize that when i unloaded the gun i may have ran the lever a bit slowly and maybe short stroked it. And maybe also the round wasnt propperly seated in the magazine. But the thing got completely jammed, should it have been a real home invasion or something i would have been doomed. the gun was binded useless.
Has anyone experienced something like this ever?

Final note:
Gun: REMLIN 1895 guide gun with wwg trigger, ejector and follower
Ammo: hornady leverevolution 325gr FTX

P.s: sorry for my rusty english, I am from Argentina.

·
Super Moderator
8,044 Posts
slick up the action a bit but also I believe the gummie tips specifically have the problem. I have never shot the gummie tips in my 1895 so no experience. I believe if you look around in the threads you will find the fix. Might also need to change the follower if using the gummy tips. others will be around to help better than I. welcome to the forum

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I would use hardcast lead against intruders. RNFP tends to feed very well.
I have 3 boxes of LeverEvolution ammo on the way to try out.
But any ammo or gun that doesn't run 100% is useless for self
defense. Use a different load, one that works 100%.

Your life is worth the cost of a box of premium ammo from a company
like Buffalo Bore.

·
Contributing Member
11,599 Posts
Welcome to MO and your English is just fine.

First things first, is the WWG follower dimpled (concave)? It could be the gummy tip of the LeverEvolution is binding in the mag tube and preventing the rounds from pushing into the receiver properly. If that is the case, one way around that is inserting a standard round first in the tube.

If it isn't that, then it can be a variety of things and we'd need more information about exactly what happened/happens and have to start eliminating trouble spots. Could be a burr at the mag tube/receiver interface, bad timing, dent in the tube, etc.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Welcome to the forum of all addictions by the name of Marlin in firearms anyways. As for your ammo I think is the cause of your problem. With round nose bullets or flat points I have never had a problem in shooting a lever action Marlin or other lever gun in close to 20 years of shooting lever guns. I am 29 nad have been shooting lever guns since about 9 so I have my share of shooting. I never heard of such a problem until the revoltuion stuff came out jamming up a lever gun. I would try to stick with either an all elad bullet or a jacketed one of some type that has a flat point. Another thing is take the 1895 apart and clean her up real good. They ship with facotry gunk/ grease that makes the action stick pretty hard. Another thing is get that rile out and do drills with it practice never ever trust a gun that has not proven itself. Me I live in the city so my .45-70 is not coming out to play for self defense as collatral damge woul be way to much. But my .45 or my shotgun work just find for social work as a home defese sitution. On your English I would have never guessed as your ZEnglish is probaly better than mine as far as writting goes.
CD

Reactions: 1xshot

·
Registered
20,518 Posts
Welcome from South Florida! As the others have said, clean her up real good then get yourself some different ammo and take her out and shoot her a BUNCH! Needin' to use your home defense weapon to possibly protect you or your family members life is not the time to realize you have a very expensive stick in your hands!

Reactions: cds4570

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the quick response guys, a couple of things:

1) I almost never use the lever gun, i like it a lot but i must have taken it to the range 2 or 3 times at the most. a gun you are not familiar with is not the best choice for home defense, but my glock has some paper work pending and i am still waiting on a mossberg 590a1 and its paperwork (it takes some 2 months or longer between buying the gun and actually being able to take it home). so the 1895 was the only thing usable at the time.

2) I forgot to tell you, i have installed the wwg follower, and i think its flat, not concave

3) when I bought the gun I read about polishing the action and did it as soon as i could. Actually it came from the factory with a burr on the bolt face that marked the rim of the case, it took a file to remove it.

4) I must have run some 100 rounds through it at the range without a single hiccup, both remington flat nose hollow point and the leverevolution stuff.

I will sit down with it some time today and try to replicate the jam and see what happens.
Thanks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I agree this would be very bad during a home invasion. One benefit to the tough old marlin is when you can not keep shooting it makes a heck of a club. When all else fails throw it at them. In my opinion it is better to do something than just stand there and hold a useless firearm.

·
Premium Member
6,592 Posts
First off welcome to the forum.
Second I would recommend getting a reliable 12 gauge for the first line home defense gun.
Third would be a handgun.
Fourth unless little kids are near them keep them loaded and not chambered.
In the 30 seconds or so you would be loading you would likely be dead if a real home invasion were taking place.
I keep a 12 and a 40 cal near me at all times when at home. both are loaded but nothing in the chamber as I can chamber a round in a second.

·
Super Moderator
17,245 Posts
Welcome from Alabama.... I shoot Hornady gummie tips in my .308 EXCEPT when it is loaded at home for defense. If you leave the gummies in the magazine for an extended length of time they will flatten out. I keep 4 rounds in the magazine at all times. I don't keep one chambered, it may give away your location when you jack one in but the sound lets the intruder know you mean business. They will really know at my place because about 2 seconds after I chamber my .308 my Lady jacks a round into her 12 gauge Mossy...

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Smid, welcome to the MO Family, from here in west central Mo. Don't worry about your English, seems good enough to get your point across and that is what counts. Should the 45-70 be the only firearm available for home defence, load it with flat nosed jacketed slugs like the Remington 405 gr, soft points. A 12 guage shotgun would be the best firearm for home defence. A short barreled 12 ga pump, loaded with low brass 6 0r 7 1/2's would work magic on bad guys. Take care, John.

Reactions: MidBigWest

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
I have 4 pistols and 2 shotguns scattered out in my house. I still live by my boy scout motto. Be Prepared. My ex FIL was from Colorado and he was a old cowboy, he had guns stashed everywhere. He had one in the attic in case he had to hide, one in the garage, one in his boathouse and one in every room of the house and he carried one on him at all times. He was not going to be too far from a gun if he could help it. I know this sounds a little overboard but it made him feel safe and I guess that is what we all endeavor to be.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
first off weolcome ot the MO from the motor city, detroit,michigan, usa! second welcome to the shoulder mounted light artillery aka the 45-70! your english was and is quite good sir. i have had a problem once cycling the LE ammo aka gummy tips and that was because of the tip catching and flexing instead of sliding, do to the speed at which i was cycling it. sounds like you had that problem only worse because it fully jammed on you. adrenaline is a wonderful thing BUT it makes you move faster and stronger than intended. your increased power and speed coupled with the gummy tip caused your jam i am betting. or contributed to it immensely. just my penny's worth, kurtis

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
" 2) I forgot to tell you, i have installed the wwg follower, and i think its flat, not concave"

This is where I would start to address the issue; if not the "dimpled" type follower designed for that LE FTX ammo it can jam up your rifle as you described. Since it is a newer rifle it should have originally come with the dimpled/concave type follower, and if you still have it, could swap it back out with what you put in there...? Good luck to you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well i sat down this afternoon with the gun and both hornady and remington ammo and tried to replicate the jam.. Unfortunately I succeded 3 times, that is 3 times to many for me. It seems to be related to the angle in wich you insert the round in the mag tube, if you insert in an angle very steep from the bore axis there is a chance for the round to jam when it tries to get to the carrier thus causing the jam.

The good news is that the remington ammo worked flawlessly.

So As most of you stated, i am sold on the flat point or round nose bullets.

Pic:

image.jpg image.jpg

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Glad you sorted it out, now shoot the devil out of it so that you'll be well prepared.

Reactions: GaCop and cds4570

·
Premium Member
17,017 Posts
Hey S,

Welcome to MO.

Like they said. Try some different ammo, and look on Erik's signature line for the links.

Later, Mark

Reactions: Jonny V and cds4570

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Welcome aboard MO! As others have pointed out, there are numerous threads on this forum dealing with Leverloution feed jams. That ammo would be my absolute last choice for home defense, or anything else. The Winchester hollow points would be a far better option, and I can't recall any posts about people having them jam up...

Also, first rule of winning a gunfight is....Have a loaded gun. The shotty is a better weapon for defense than the Marlin, but they're both equally useless if they're not loaded. Your defensive weapon is the one you should shoot the most. Get to practicing and you'll be fine. At least you were heading to confront the problem. We have people in our big cities here who curl up and start thumb-sucking when criminals attack...then they complain that the government isn't protecting them.......

1 - 20 of 32 Posts