Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are going to be put on a 3 year trial period by the DNR to allow certain rifles in the shotgun zone of lower Michigan. I have always though of getting a 1894 in 44 magnum to fill that rifle role.

I am starting to waffle. :flute:

The 1894 that I am looking for is hard to find (pistol grip, checkered stock) so I am beginning to research a 450 bushmaster upper for my AR. :ahhhhh:

Any have experience with this round? Recoil? Ballistics?

Thanks,
Harry

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tax return burning hole in pocket.......

Reactions: njcioffi

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
You can find a Marlin 44 Mag on armslist. You have enough time to convert it to a pistol grip if desired. I love the way the 44 Mag carries, points, shoots, etc. I have a black gun, it doesn't get to go hunting. It sits in it's case.

·
Registered
20,502 Posts
Patience Danielson...Patience! Keep lookin', one is bound to pop up for y'a!

·
Premium Member
15,448 Posts
The 1894 will be much handier in heavy cover
Patience, one will come along

·
Banned
2,263 Posts
Yeah Harry, I'd spend the money on a 1894. Leave the AR in the safe till ZOMBIE SEASON opens up.

Reactions: GaCop and Grunt69

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You know, a 35Rem would do the job very nicely for anything you'd be likely to encounter in Ohio. These can be had very reasonably.
Mazer, I am in Michigan and I already have a .35. It IS my go to deer rifle for the rifle zone.

I need something for the shotgun/pistol caliber rifle zone at home.

·
Super Moderator
25,165 Posts
Tax return burning hole in pocket.......
Hey Dirty Harry--I never even considered a 1894 in 44 Mag as I was NOT a fan of pistol cartridges in rifles. I saw a MO member offer a 1894P 44 Mag here on MO for trade and I became interested. I ended up getting it by trading away 2 Marlins that were doing nothing in the safe. Now I am GLAD that I did it as its a great little rifle. Don't settle for less. Marlin 44 Mag rifles show up here for sale on MO. Keep trolling the Marlins for sale section. You will not regret it.

Reactions: redlegagent

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I see them quite regularly in MN. I used to buy everyone I saw. Finally found a stainless 44 and ended my searching. If I see one I will tell about it. Keep holding out for a 1894 you wont regret it other than feeding it but that's why they make reloading presses. besides try to find components for the 450 Bushmaster.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I did have an older 1894C that was nothing but trouble. I guess it left a bad taste in my mouth, even though I know I would like the 44 better.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I have an 1894 in 44 mag that I bought used at the LGS for the specific purpose of hunting deer in Indiana. It is a great set up - KEEP LOOKING, you will find one and be happy.

·
Registered
17,013 Posts
There was an 1894PG 44 mag listed last night on Gunbroker,but now it's gone. It had a price in the $1000 range,NIB. The pistol grip model was a limited run,and doesn't last long at auction. Keep searching. Hunting with a 44 mag is just fine. I use XS peep sights,and any deer inside of 150 yards is an easy kill.

Rob

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
As I am familiar with the Southern half of Michigan and am aware that in some areas long shots are certainly a possibility thus I would suggest you take into account the ranges and area you'll be using it and select accordingly. I have a 1894 in .44 magnum and it is indeed a fine rifle - but - as with any pistol cartridge in a rifle it is very much "range contingent". :flute:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts